June 2013 Moms

Breast pump: Ameda Purley Yours, Medela or Melodi Advanced

I have three options for breast pumps with my insurance company and have no idea which one to choose. I've heard great things about Medela and also about Ameda? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Re: Breast pump: Ameda Purley Yours, Medela or Melodi Advanced

• I have the Ameda but that was our only insurance option. The nurse at my OB said good things, though, FWIW!
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • CL8badBCL8badB
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its First Anniversary
    Ive used both. I used the hospital grade medela [symphony i think] and that machine is crazy strong.
    I used the single electric medela swing which also gave me great results but it was time consuming to do 1 breast at a time when youre forced to exclusively pump [baby was in nicu].
    Then my insurance finally sent me the ameda which ive been using now. It does take a little while to get the hang of pumping 2 boobs at a time but the machine works great in my opinion.
    I think you are fine with either of the 2 brands.
    I was originally hoping that theyd send me a medela bc that was what i was use to but im definitely not disappointed with the ameda.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine actually has a way to turn off one pump so you can pump one at a time - you just have to move the little tab into the tubing. Might be easier than "double fisting" to start?
  • CL8badBCL8badB
    image jmcgra06:
    Mine actually has a way to turn off one pump so you can pump one at a time you just have to move the little tab into the tubing. Might be easier than "double fisting" to start?

Yea, i noticed that white tab thingy. I just like to do 2 at a time to get it over with. Especially if your up in the middle of the night to pump.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Is that on the Ameda that you can choose to pump 1 at a time? Does anyone have those bras that you can stick the bottles in while your pumping so your totally hands free? I feel so clueless.
    The Medela is the Medela Personal Double and the only positive things I've read is on the Medela Advance which one did you use?
  • Yes, the Ameda you can pump one or both - the instruction book suggests how to hold the pumps either way. I don't have any special bras - when my coworker did it last year, she just held it there and popped a burp cloth over herself and it seemed pretty easy. I figure the less stuff I need, the better.
  • CL8badBCL8badB
    I got the bra in the mail yesterday but i havent tried it yet. When i try it i will [hopefully remember to] post about it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our breast feeding class instructor/lactation consultant said te Ameda and Medela were nearly identical and in her opinion, the better pump choices.
  • willstwillst
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    If your going to pumping a lot a pumping bra is the only way to go! If you don't want to buy one you can cut slits in an old sports bra.makes all the difference and saved me many tears over spilt milk!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! You have been such a great help.