Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Naps have become a nightmare - 12 mo old

LO just turned a year this week and it seems like magically he decided that napping in the day is not for him anymore. He had a cold at the beginning of the week and I can see that affecting his naps but he is fine now and we're still struggling.

We never had to do CIO because I started putting him down sleepy from the time he was 9 weeks old. Plus the few times that I've tried it here and there, he just gets so riled that he doesn't go to sleep and I'm not about to let my LO cry for so long that he just falls asleep from being so tired from crying. Besides, we really have not needed it.

Bedtime is super easy, I put him in the crib, walk away, and he is out within 5-10 min. Not a peep. But naps have become something else. He just stands in his crib and cries as loud as he can and won't stop until I come in. On Wednesday I tried CIO and it took 20 min of insane crying and I finally broke down so will definitely not be doing that again. And by the way he was crying, it was obvious he was not going to go to sleep in that state. What I've started doing is having him lie down and then I just put my hand on his belly and eventually he goes to sleep. However yesterday it took 50 min to get him to fall asleep for his afternoon nap.

So here's my question... did your LO start fighting naps at around 12 months? Did you have to change napping schedule? I'm not sure what it is... whether separation anxiety or simply that he is not as tired anymore and needs less sleep. He sleeps 10-11 hrs a night and has been taking 2-45 min naps or 1-45 min and 1-90 min nap a day. 

Help!! What was your experience like?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Me: 38 DH: 36
Married 8/27/2011
BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

Re: Naps have become a nightmare - 12 mo old

• Options
    Maybe he's ready to transition down to one nap a day. DS did before 1 year, and fought naps hard right before he dropped one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    my 14 month old has decided to only nap once a day. We just try to push the nap into the afternoon as much as possible. He is still super fussy before dinner though. I feel like he still needs the nap but he refuses to take nap #2.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree with PPs.  Last month we transitioned from two naps to one nap right after lunch.  She sleeps better and longer than she used to with the two naps combined.  She's also easier to put to bed at night. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    AMcLawsAMcLaws member
    I agree with the others. We transitioned to one nap a day right around 12 months, and she still naps everyday at 21 months.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"