Babies: 0 - 3 Months

STTN

Just curious, but what do you all consider sleeping through the night for your little ones?  I know typically it means sleeping 8+ hours without feeding.

Personally, I often say my baby is sleeping through the night despite her waking to feed.  She sleeps from 6:30pm-6:30am with about 3-5 feeds but she never wants to play during this time.  I go in and dream feed 2x in evening before I go to bed (8:30 & 10:30) since she feeds every 2hrs during day.  She then wakes herself 1-3 times during the remainder of the night.  I change, feed and burp her and have her back in her bed within 20 min of waking.

Since she doesn't expect to be entertained during the night I personally consider this STTN.  Of course I look forward to her sleeping longer without feeds but I am so thankful she doesn't need to be entertained and walked and rocked etc during the night that I do use the term STTN.

I have found that even my husband gets confused...I say STTN but then get up to feed her so he's like but you said she slept through the night until 6:30am. I keep telling him how lucky we are she just eats then sleeps that I consider it STTN for a 10 week old (she's been on this routine for a good 5 weeks).

Re: STTN

• Waking to eat =/= STTN. STTN means sleeping at least 6-8 hours in a row with no waking.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image mabenner1:
    Waking to eat =/= STTN. STTN means sleeping at least 6-8 hours in a row with no waking.
    This. Did you consider it STTN when you got up a bunch of times to pee when you were KU? I didn't.
    TTGP April Siggy Challenge: Superheros/Supervillians
    Infinite love to my Bump IRL Besties JessuhMarie & GermanGirl2007
    Started TTC #1 - 10/11 ~ BFP #1 - 8/15/12 ~ J born via c-section - 4/18/13
    image image
  • HML5382HML5382
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Love Its

image mabenner1:
    Waking to eat =/= STTN. STTN means sleeping at least 6-8 hours in a row with no waking.

Yes

And for me to say it, those 6-8 hours really need to be while I'm sleeping! LO usually sleeps from around 9pm-4am right now with no wakeups, but that 4am wakeup is still a MOTN feeding in my opinion. So I don't count it as STTN yet.

Lilypie - (EKqW)
    http://lb1f.lilypie.com/cvSDm4.png
  • mnj05mnj05
    Sixth Anniversary 250 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Love Its
    DS sleeps for 5-6 hours, then wakes for a feeding and back down for 3 hours. I don't consider this STTN. He's had a night or two of STTN and that was 7-8 hours without waking up, so more of a normal night for me before he was born.

image image
    Photobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    12/11 first round of clomid 50 mg no response BFN 1/12 Clomid 100mg BFN 2/12 Clomid + metformin = BFN
    2/20/12 HSG all clear!
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy EDD 3/7/2013
    Hudson James born 3/1/2013 7lbs 15oz 21in long

• monaluamonalua
    Ancient Membership 10 Comments 5 Love Its
    Why does it matter?

Sounds like you have LO on a great routine and you're all getting good rest!
  • I consider STTN 6 or more hours without waking or feeding. LO sleeps from 10pm5am. She will doze in and out from 7pm 10pm but she also eats between then so I don't count that.
  • JenniD2JenniD2
    250 Answers 100 Comments First Anniversary
    image HML5382:

image mabenner1:

Yes

And for me to say it, those 6-8 hours really need to be while I'm sleeping! LO usually sleeps from around 9pm-4am right now with no wakeups, but that 4am wakeup is still a MOTN feeding in my opinion. So I don't count it as STTN yet.

I agree. DS only wakes one time during the night and goes back down right away but that is not STTN. 

• image monalua:
    Why does it matter? Sounds like you have LO on a great routine and you're all getting good rest!

This! If you feel rested, and happy and YOU consider LO to be STTN then so be it! I think this term varies so much that it's confusing when ANYONE uses it. Technically, STTN is 12-5 without a wake up; my LO was sleeping 7-4 for a a couple weeks, which to ME was STTN but not in the technical sense. Other people will say STTN is when they are sleeping the baby sleeps..or a 8 hour stretch..or a 10 hour stretch...or a 5 hour stretch!

Personally, the first time she slept a 6 hour stretch before feeding I considered that STTN. my husband, though, disagreed ;)

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • For me it will be when she stops waking up for MOTN feedings.

• =Lee=B=Lee=B
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Love Its First Anniversary
    image VPGIRL06:

image monalua:
    Why does it matter? Sounds like you have LO on a great routine and you're all getting good rest!

This! If you feel rested, and happy and YOU consider LO to be STTN then so be it! I think this term varies so much that it's confusing when ANYONE uses it. Technically, STTN is 12-5 without a wake up; my LO was sleeping 7-4 for a a couple weeks, which to ME was STTN but not in the technical sense. Other people will say STTN is when they are sleeping the baby sleeps..or a 8 hour stretch..or a 10 hour stretch...or a 5 hour stretch!

Personally, the first time she slept a 6 hour stretch before feeding I considered that STTN. my husband, though, disagreed ;)

I was curious because so many moms on here use the term and I am wondering what they are referring to when they use it.

• image =Lee=B:
    image VPGIRL06:

image monalua:

I was curious because so many moms on here use the term and I am wondering what they are referring to when they use it.

They mean just that: sleeping THROUGH the night. Not waking up every 2-4 hours to eat. If I'm getting out of bed to feed a LO, they aren't sleeping through the night.

• My LO "slept through the night" last night. At least, after her getting up every 2 hours for the past 6 weeks, we consider this STTN! She slept from 10:00 p.m. until 4 a.m.  We both woke up startled thinking "OMG she must be dead!" She wasn't, but boy was she hungry! And I don't think DH and I have EVER been that cheery at 4 a.m... ever! :)

Before last night, she was up around 12-1 a.m. and then again around 3 a.m... I had a few "lucky" nights where we fed her late (10:30 p.m.) and she only got up once around 2 a.m., but I still didn't count that as STTN.

IMO, STTN = 6 hours, no waking up.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image pinkglam7:
    I consider STTN 6 or more hours without waking or feeding. LO sleeps from 10pm5am. She will doze in and out from 7pm 10pm but she also eats between then so I don't count that.

This is what I consider STTN too. DS sleeps from 10-7 with one wakeup. That one wakeup is right in the middle, so I still don't think he's STTN.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• I consider 6 hours the minimum for STTN. DS2 sleeps 6 to 8 hour stretches so I say he is STTN at this point.

image image
  • poppyc8poppyc8
    100 Comments First Answer 5 Love Its
    LO sleeps from 9pm to 3am then from 3:30am to 6:30am....its a good 6 hour stretch but i don' t call it STTN yet because i'm up feeding him at 3am.   
  • image bdcram:
    image mabenner1:
    This. Did you consider it STTN when you got up a bunch of times to pee when you were KU? I didn't.

all of this. 

Amanda

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• SkyBeeSkyBee
    2500 Comments Third Anniversary
    Definately not STTN. I consider no wakings or feedings for atleast 8 hours is STTN. LOL if I were to evaluate my twins the same, they would have been STTN since day 1!
    imageimage