February 2013 Moms

Four month wakeful length?

My LO will be 15 weeks on Saturday and I'm thinking he's starting a wakeful period. For example, after pretty much only waking once a night for weeks, he woke up every hour last night. And I can't get him to eat for more than 5 minutes at a time during the day.

How long does this period last? I'm not at all tempted to sleep train, I'll feed or console him every time he wakes, but I'm curious about what to expect. Is it literally the entire fourth month? Two weeks? Three nights?
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Four month wakeful length?

• Do you really want to know? Stick out tongue

Truly, it depends on the kid. For my DD1 I was very against sleep training, I always went in to console her and she just got worse and worse, waking every 45 in to an hour all night at times because she didn't know how to fall back asleep on her own. It was brutal and lasted for months. Eventually we had to do some sleep training but she had such bad sleep habits by then that she fought it so hard and we gave up time and time again. She didn't consistently STTN until past a year. I'm not doing full on CIO with DD2 but I am definitely going to work a lot harder to encourage her to self soothe and will let her fuss a bit more. And truly, if she gets as bad as DD1 I will consider STing earlier this time. Having your kid overtired for a year SUCKS for everyone. 

Most kids aren't as stubborn as mine, though, so hopefully it will be short for you!

• I don't know if my LO went through the "4 month" wakeful or not. I know some say it happens earlier and can be more like a 3-4 month wakeful. That being said, I think she had her 3-4 month wakeful. For us it lasted about 1-2 weeks. She was waking every 2 hours. I thought it would never end, but she just decided a few nights ago that she was going to STTN. She's been an amazing sleeper and napper ever since ;) However, I have a friend whom it lasted for 2 months. I know that's not encouraging :( I think like PP said, it varies so much.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

~I have a baby in heaven 3-20-12~
  • Mine started at about week 14 and lasted about three and a half weeks. My research indicates that three to four weeks is the average length, but if it lasts much more than four weeks it can be bad habits forming rather than tla stage.

• I find that I can get him to eat more during the day if I pump and give him a bottle.
  • DD#1 went through the 4 month wakeful at 12 weeks and never recovered. She didn't start sleeping well until I finally did some hardcore sleep training when she was around 8 months old. I wish I had done it sooner and more consistently. DD#2 is 16 weeks old and has not had any sleep regressions yet. She also started putting herself to sleep from a very early age, which DD#1 wasn't able to do until we let her CIO. Good luck. You may not want to sleep train right now, but after enough sleepless nights, you may change your mind. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards