Postpartum Depression

Switching meds?

I have a long personal history of depression as well as a family history. I've been on varying doses of prozac since 16. It works well for me most of the time. I had to increase the dose after DS was born, but that simple increase helped TONS with my PPD.

Here I am again though, with PPD. I'm still on the meds, but I'm taking 40mg daily and I don't know that it's safe to do much more while breastfeeding.

I'm terrified of switching meds though, since there is some family history there. My brothers both had SERIOUS issues when having their meds changed (suicide attempts and subsequent hospitalizations).

I am really freaked about it.

I have a call into my doctor about it, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Feb 2013 September Sig Challenge- Favorite Moive: 
Hot Fuzz

Re: Switching meds?

• seekupseekup
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    This is just my two cents, but I'd be a little hesitant to switch meds if Prozac is working for you and your brothers had reactions to a switch. I think it's worth considering formula if upping your dose is unsafe for breastmilk. Or pumping like crazy before you change the dose. But a stable mom
    Is so important and formula isn't the worst thing in the world. Just something to think about. Good luck!
  • I take prozac and when my son was breastfeeding I had to change the dose and move it up don't worry just talk to your doctor and hope you feel better soon