C-sections

Recovery time

I wanted to know what the recovery time is when you have a c-section. Were you not able to take care of your baby?  Thanks!

Re: Recovery time

• mnj05mnj05
    250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its
    DH did the majority of the work the first week. He handed DS to me for feedings but that's about all I did. The second week I could reach over and change diapers and started being able to pick DS up from anywhere except the floor. By the third week I felt back to normal but took it easy until my 6 week check up.

That said, getting up and moving around as soon as possible helps. When you're in the hospital, get up and walk the halls when the pain meds are working and even when they're just starting wear off wasn't bad. I was off the pain meds after the first week but mainly because I didn't like the side effects. I took aleve or ibuprofen as needed after that.

image image
    Photobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    12/11 first round of clomid 50 mg no response BFN 1/12 Clomid 100mg BFN 2/12 Clomid + metformin = BFN
    2/20/12 HSG all clear!
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy EDD 3/7/2013
    Hudson James born 3/1/2013 7lbs 15oz 21in long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The first week was the worst I needed more help then not. Week to the help was helpful but I could have managed on my own if I had to (would recommend having help if you can) and by the third week I was going for short walks and doing all the baby care on my own. By week 5 I barely remembered having the surgery except if I moved two sudden it was a small jolt but that was it.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • DH helped a lot the first week, especially in the hospital.  He pretty much handled the diaper changes and would hand LO to me for feeding.  I had one internal stitch that pulled/burned when I moved certain ways, so I really appreciated the help.  By the 2nd week, I had pretty much figured out how to move without causing pain, although I still loved the extra help from my mom and DH.  By week 4 the stitch was gone.

• In the hospital I needed help. I ended up staying 3 days and 2 night. When I for home I needed a little help the first maybe 2 days but after that I was able to do what was needed.
  • My mom stayed at the hospital with me for the four days while DH stayed home with the our other two children. When i got home, I tried to do mostly everything by myself because healing is so much better for me when I get up and move around. If I lie down to long, my body becomes stiff and if I sit up too long on the couch or something, my legs and feet would become very swollen. By week two, I'm in full force. It really all depends on your body and your pain. It's really been said that you don't actually fully recover, bodywise, for months. You may feel you're okay, but you never know what's still going on in the inside.
  • The first week I needed a lot of help. I had trouble getting up and down, and getting around. The second week I got a Cellulitis infection near my incision, so I was feverish and not well at all. DH took over most of the care of DS, and I was out of it. After that DH ran out of vacation time and had to go back to work, but I was mostly okay by then so it was alright.
    ***siggy warning***
    Miscarriages: 5/08, 3/09, 11/09
    DS= 4 years + injects/IUI
    TTC#2= injects/IUI, BFP 10/28/13
    OHSS.
    Twins!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The first week I needed help mainly because it was hard to sit up. Once I was up, I was good. Husband or whoever was available would bring her to me for feedings or help me with getting up. I had a pretty easy recovery though....

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Everybody is different. It took me about three weeks before I was able to confidently do things on my own. DH was home first two weeks and then I had several different family members come help that third week. I could take care of DS but I couldn't do stairs and it was tough getting up and moving around.

"Recovery" is broad though. I'm 13 weeks PP and I feel like I'm still recovering and will be for several more months. It's MAJOR surgery.
    "Sweat is my sanity". Sarah Palin "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised". Proverbs 31:30 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have wondering the same thing. I will be pp 2 weeks on Monday. Only had help the first week. Dh started a new job the week she was born. The only thing that is bothering me still is a burning on my right side and something from my right leg when I walk.
  • My DH also started a new job the week dd was born. He was there days 1 and 2 and since then its just been me. I definitely don't recommend that. I'm recovering okay, but it would have been much easier with some help. At two weeks post partum I'm still in a good amount of pain, but stopped taking the pain meds for the side effects.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • This is going to vary wildly from person to person. I was semi-function by around 2 weeks, then my incision got infected and opened up. It didn't fully heal until 12ish weeks. I still couldn't lift anything heavy by then. Overall though, I was able to walk, nurse, take care of DS some of the time. I relied heavily on DH though.
  • I only "needed" DH's help the first day because I was still catheterized and couldn't easily get out of bed to get DS. After that I was able to do everything myself but welcomed the help for DH. 

Infinite love to my Bump IRL Besties JessuhMarie & GermanGirl2007
    Started TTC #1 - 10/11 ~ BFP #1 - 8/15/12 ~ J born via c-section - 4/18/13
    I was #1 on the leader board for a few hours on 9/15/14
  • image happylady5:
    Everybody is different. It took me about three weeks before I was able to confidently do things on my own. DH was home first two weeks and then I had several different family members come help that third week. I could take care of DS but I couldn't do stairs and it was tough getting up and moving around. "Recovery" is broad though. I'm 13 weeks PP and I feel like I'm still recovering and will be for several more months. It's MAJOR surgery.

This exactly!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I could certainly take care of my baby, but needed help just generally getting up and down. I was feeling much better after about 2 weeks.
  • I'm the same as everybody else. DH did the majority of everything the first week. After that, I felt pretty good but was still moving pretty slow. By 2 weeks out, I was pretty much back to normal. By 4 weeks out, I was jogging again. My best advice is to move. Go for walks as soon you feel up to it. Just make sure you don't overdo it, because it'll set you back.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • First 10 days were killer. It took me a lot of effort to get out of bed, so DH would get up and change LO and I would feed her and place her in her bed next to me. I could still look after her alone during the day though. You feel a lot better after the 2 week mark, but don't over do it or you do get sore again.

• nola78nola78
    5000 Comments 25 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer

I had a pretty easy recovery.  Day 2 was the worst, but I was really feeling pretty good by Day 3 and was off pain meds.  I was walking ~ 1 mile with the stroller at the end of the first week.  Now, 3 weeks out, I'd never even know that I had a section if I didn't have a scar.  I feel great.  

I did have help the first two weeks, which I think aided my recovery a lot.  I got up and moved around as much as I could, but I did not lift things.  I let people help me when they offered. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 1/10/12; EDD: 9/20/12, born too early on 5/7/12 (20w4d) due to IC/PTL/chorioamnionitis.
    BFP #2: 8/30/12; EDD: 5/9/13, emergency cerclage placed at 22w5d, dx cardiomyopathy, strict bed rest for 14 weeks. DD born at 39 weeks.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    All ALs always welcome