February 2013 Moms

PPD

I've been on varying doses of prozac for depression since I was 16. It runs in my family...

I had some PPD after my son was born. I don't remember how old he was when it started. and I know that it was a while before I got treated for it because I didn't think I needed treatment since I was already on meds (turns out I needed an increase). 

Anyway, I'm starting to feel it again. I'm tired, mopey, the usual. I have a personal history of self harm so I try to stay out ahead of it. I feel myself slipping. But I don't think they can increase my meds anymore. I'm already taking 40mg of prozac daily. I worry a lot about changing meds. It can go really wrong in these situations. Again with the family history, both of my brothers have attempted suicide after being put on meds that didn't work for him. 

I don't know what to do....  

Re: PPD

• I would call your clinician if you have one ASAP.  If you are feeling like self harming, you can call 1-800-273-8255.  This is a national hotline.  http://suicidehotlines.com/

please get some help!  Talk to someone, let them know your concerns about med changes.  

Just the talking can help and in my opinion should be combined with medications but I am a therapist so I am biases. 

• I've already talked to my husband about it. We actually both have training in suicide prevention from our work as RAs in college. He's keeping a really close eye on me. I appreciate your concern. I can feel it coming on so I'm trying to get it out ahead of it. 
  • I know it's not ideal, but if they do have to change your meds, could you go to an inpatient program for a couple of weeks just so you have professionals there if they don't work?  Or maybe hire a nurse or have DH take FMLA leave for a couple of weeks?  Hope you can get your meds worked out and sorry you have to deal with that.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Inpatient isn't really an option. I do work in a doctors office though, so between that and home I would be under pretty strong supervision. 

DH already used his FMLA for the baby. Plus we can't afford it.  

• First of all, I am so sorry you are struggling with this... I personally have not dealt with depression before but I still get tired, mopey, exasperated, etc. which I think many new mom's of infants can experience. If it is any solace know you are not alone in those feelings!

I second what PP said about talking to someone in addition to meds. I think there is a huge benefit to talking to any family or close friends who can give you support [and it sounds like you have a good DH!], in addition to professionals who can help you see/deal with things from another perspective. Please call the aforementioned hotline ASAP if you need to, or even if you just think you might need to. There is no shame in it whatsoever!

I also second the suggestion of a looking for a nanny to come by, even once a week to give you some respite... I would imagine even an hour or two to get out of the house or even go sit in your room and chill by yourself would be beneficial.

This is so not the same but I get horrible migraines and when that happens I just want to lay on the cold bathroom floor and cry and sleep... But when it's just me and LO I can't do that. I have to get up, and feed him, and change him, and care for him... I just have to tell myself that I am all he has at that time and it is not an option to do anything but push through for him. I don't say this to stress you out further, but just tell yourself that even though you might feel like absolute crap physically/emotionally/mentally, your LO needs you... try to dig as deep as you can and just do whatever you have to do to make sure you are there for LO the next day, and the next...

I am totally talking out of my you know what, but just am telling you what I would tell one of my friends if they came to me with this same situation. This is a great board so know you can always come on here to talk if you need to. I hope you feel better soon!
  • First of all, know that you are NOT ALONE! I have been in your shoes.  I had such a horrible case of Pregnancy Depression when I was pregnant with my daughter.  I remember thinking-- and being serious-- that if I wasn't pregnant, that killing myself would solve everything.

It wouldn't.

Please know that you are not alone! And talk to your doctor ASAP.  Whether they can increase your meds, or you need to try a new one, please seek the help you need.  It is wonderful that you have already talked to DH about this.  Keep him in the loop! Keep talking to him.  Talk to your family.  Talk to friends.  Make sure that you reach out to anyone that you can.  Maybe your local friends/family can come and help you with the kids if you need to switch meds. 

We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

• I have a call into my doctor to talk about changing my meds or the dosage.

Thanks for all the concern, ladies. I'm doing pretty well, actually. I just want you guys to know that if any of you are feeling it YOU AREN'T ALONE! PPD is a real thing and it's tough.

*hugs*