Infertility

Confused

We had OPU yesterday and were pleased with the fact that we had 13 eggs retreived. Even though the embryologist said my husband's sperm looked great he said he would do ICSI on some of the eggs as a back up. We didn't think much of it but were phoned this morning to say that none of the normal IVF eggs fertilised but that 4 of the 6 ICSI embryos did. I was glad that we had 4 embryos but really disappointed and shocked that none of our normal IVF eggs fertilised (or fertilised abnormally as they said). Does anyone know why this happened? I had always thought ICSI was for male factor infertility and my husband's sperm has always had great motility, morphology and count so I didn't think this was something we needed??? Is this an egg issue? I know I should be grateful for 4 embryos (although we are still at day 1) but I am just confused.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated  

TTC since mid-2011---Husband and I both late 20's---
Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and dye test in Sep 2012- moderate endometriosis removed---
Diagnosed with unexplained infertility---
Clomid cycle 1 in Feb 2013- BFN---
Clomid cycle 2 in Mar 2013- BFN---
IVF #1 in May 2013- BFN---
IVF #2 in August 2013-BFN---
Endometrial biopsy identified high natural killer cells---
FET #1 in Oct 2013-delayed---
FET #1 in Nov 2013 with Intralipids-BFN---
FET #2 in January 2014- BFN---

IVF #3 in March 2014 (new doctor new plan)-BFFN
IVF #4 in June 2014 (last cycle with own eggs)- BFN
IVF #5 in September 2014 (with donor eggs)- BFP plus 6 frozen blasts :)

http://tryingtoconceiveafamily.blogspot.com.au/

May Emerald / August Shooting Star / October Precious Pumpkin / November Harvest Hopeful / January Snowdrops / March Shimmering Shamrocks / June Bugs

Re: Confused

• The only thing I can think of is that not all eggs retrieved are viable. My clinic does ICSI unless you request not to. Sometimes they do whats called 'rescue icsi', where if they see any abnormalities or no fertilization they will perform icsi. You can always call your doctor to see what was meant specifically. Good luck! Grow embies grow!
    On 10/23/13 Baby Sophie and Baby Gabriel born at 21+5 weeks. They grew wings and flew away from us. May God bless them always. We love you beans!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Phoebe Jaslene born at 19w3d. We love you beba! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• ttc23ttc23 member
    Thanks Diamante. The embryologist said at this stage he's not sure why the nonicsi eggs didn't fertilise and that it could be an unknown sperm issue, an egg issue or just bad luck. We're just hoping we have quality embryos seeing as though we don't have quantity :

Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and dye test in Sep 2012- moderate endometriosis removed---

May Emerald / August Shooting Star / October Precious Pumpkin / November Harvest Hopeful / January Snowdrops / March Shimmering Shamrocks / June Bugs

• Loading the player...
  • We aren't MFI but my RE recommended we do ICSI anyways because he suspects my eggs don't fertilize easily. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • imagettc23:
    Thanks Diamante. The embryologist said at this stage he's not sure why the nonicsi eggs didn't fertilise and that it could be an unknown sperm issue, an egg issue or just bad luck. We're just hoping we have quality embryos seeing as though we don't have quantity :

I have heard other ladies post that their eggs have really "hard shells" so they needed ICSI...nothing wrong, just that iUI and regular fertilization wasn't working.
    | Married since 2008 | DH and I: Both 30 | Me: Endometriosis and Carrier of an X-Linked Dominant Genetic Disorder | DH: Low Morph | Planning IVF with PGD and PGS in 2013 | Freeze-All IVF #1: March 2013 ER 3/26. 29R, 12M, 11F. 4 5AA frozen blasts. Freeze-All IVF#2: May 2013 ER 5/15. 31R, 21M, 20F. 6 5AA frozen blasts. Our PGD probe was completed in late June (total of 20 weeks to develop). PGD and PGS Results came on 6/19: 3 healthy embryos (normal chromosomes and unaffected by my family's genetic disorder). FET #1: July 2013 Natural Cycle - Cancelled due to insufficient lining (only got to 7.5mm). FET #1.2: August 2013 - Medicated Cycle with Lupron & Estrogen Patches to build up lining. Single embryo transfer was 8/23. Beta #1: 240! Beta #2: 578! U/S on 9/19 at 6w4d: We saw the heart beating at 131bpm. Second U/S on 10/4 at 8w5d: We saw the heart beating at 178bpm. EDD 5/11/2014
    PAIF/SAIF/Everyone Welcome! 

• ttc23ttc23 member
    Thanks for your replies RosyGlow and curlylocks. I hope that's what it is Smile

• I did exactly the same thing. Half ICSI, half IVF, none of the regular IVF eggs fertilized. That was one of the factors that led to or MFI dx. It's unknown as to why this happened...egg quality, sperm quality, luck, or all three...Sending growing vibes your way!! Good Luck!

me 33/DH 36
    ttc since 10/2008; d/x: mild MFI, stageII endo
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~
    11 IUI’s = 1 m/c (7w4d)
    IVF#1 January 2012 BFN, FET #1 April 2012 BFN
    Surprise BFP October 2012 m/c (7w), Surprise BFP April 2013 m/c (6w4d)
    IVF #2: July 2013, ET 1 embryo 7/18, beta 1 @ 14dp3dt - 757, beta 2 @ 16dp3dt - 1762
    U/S 1 @ 6w4d = 1 little frogger with HB of 118, U/S 2 @ 7w3d measuring right on track with HB of 160
    Stick Frogger Stick! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's a Girl, EDD April 7, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"