Babies: 6 - 9 Months

diaper rash: for those of you who don't use wipes

we used to use pampers sensitive wipes on LO, but she started getting an awful rash! she poops a lot and it's probably a mixture of that and using so many wipes in one sitting! my question is, i pretty much don't want to use wipes anymore because i feel like her skin is SO sensitive. if you don't use wipes, how do you clean your baby's bottom? i want to know the quickest, best way possible. also, i need someone that will clean up explosive stool! (lol). when she goes, it gets ALL over her behind... not fun to clean up without wipes LOL.

thanks y'all! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: diaper rash: for those of you who don't use wipes

• Some people use homemade wipes. Some people use those homemade wipes that are soaked only with water. Look on pinterest to find some recipes or DIYs for homemade wipes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Cut a roll of paper in towel in half. Put one half in a one quart container. Mix 1 and a half cups of water with 1 tablespoon baby shampoo and 1 tablespoon baby oil. Pour over the paper towel. This loosens the hard cardboard roll and you can just pull it out. Pull the wipes from the middle. If there is too much liquid pour some out if there isn't enough add more water. Its great because you also save a ton of money!

My baby has the same problem with rashes from wet wipes. I find that the Johnsons wet wipes yellow pack works quite well for when I go out and I usually use one if there is a lot of poop.

If this doesn't work just use cotton wool and warm water. I did that for the first 3 months!
  • Loading the player...
  • I used paper towels with warm water when DS was really little.  They worked fine and never had a rash from them.
  • nealblnealbl member
    Our hospital doesn't use wipes they give you boxes of dispoable wipes and you have to get them wet yourself. So it is only water that you are using on baby but the disposable wipes are really strong and don't rip. I bet you can find in stores. They almost feel like gauze when they are dry but when wet they are really soft and worked awesome. 
  • Are you letting her dry before putting the diaper back on? I do that and also don't wipe when she has a wet diaper, only a poopy one.
    I use green baby organics nappy cream at night and in the morning after I let her have 10 mins of naked time. It's a great product and we have never had a diaper rash.
    HTH!
  • When both girls were first born, they had had horrible diaper rash from the watery breastmilk poops. We just used the flat round cotton balls and I dipped them into warm water to clean her up. I left her out to dry for a bit before putting her back in her diaper, and always put desitin or butt paste or triple paste, or some sort of cream on once she had dried. I know lots of folks find it disgusting (I know MIL does) but because both girls had such sensitive skin and were so prone to diaper rash, even now, I don't always wipe them unless they've pooped. I'm not sure it worked, but triple paste (one of my favorites for really bad diaper rash) makes a wash that you can use in the tub to help with diaper rash. We used it when DD was in the baby bath, and I can't really say for sure that it worked (I was doing tons of things at the same time)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• nealblnealbl member
    Oh and the best diaper rash cure I have used so far is egg whites! You mix up egg whites use your hand to spread it over the rash, let it dry, and then put diaper on. It hardens and creates the best barrier. This was suggested to us by a nurse at our childrens hospital. 
  • We use cloth wipes and plain water.  I'm not crafty so I didn't make my own wipes; I bought several packs of baby wash cloths and use those.

I guess the other question is, how often is your LO pooping?  Doesn't sound normal if she's pooping a ton at this age... could it be some sort of food allergy? 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Besides using pampers sensitive wipes, we also used plain white diapers. I'm not sure what diapers you are using but plain white with no colored dye helped us. I think they were pampers also.

• We use these. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0022077CK  A case of 500 lasts about 4 months. I keep a little squirt bottle with water on the changing table and just get them as wet the change dictates. No diaper rash. I used wipes once (the target sensitive ones) and after two days she had a rash. A day of going back to these and water made it disappear.

• imageMrs.RockyM:
     I know lots of folks find it disgusting (I know MIL does) but because both girls had such sensitive skin and were so prone to diaper rash, even now, I don't always wipe them unless they've pooped.

From what my pedi told me, you actually aren't supposed to wipe them every time anyway, but I do have a boy, so maybe it's different? But probably not, since your girls sound like they've been fine.

• By "wipes" I assume you mean the store-bought wipes?  Otherwise I have no idea how you would clean up a poop. 

We use cloth wipes that I made from fleece from Jo-Ann's.  I just cut them into squares and literally that's it.   They don't fray in the wash and they are so soft.  For solution, I ordered a squirt bottle from Amazon ("Standard Translucent-White Wash Bottle" - one of those laboratory type bottles) and we fill it with water plus a couple drops of the Burt's Bees bath soap.

For big crazy poops, we use the diaper that she was already wearing to get up as much of the solids as possible, and the clean up the rest with the wipes.

Hope this helps :) 

• I usually use Target sensitive wipes and cloth diapers but G has had a bad diaper rash from teething so he's been in disposables and I've been using wash cloths wet with plain water because I have like 100 of them.  The nurse at his pedi's office told me to mix bacitracin, hydrocortisone, A&D ointment and liquid Mylanta for his rash, maybe try that?
  • wash clothes and plain water.  Ihles paste

• DD has a reaction to EVERYTHING. She has since birth. After fighting with severe diaper rash for several months here is what we do:

No diaper creams, no wipes, no Pampers.

We loved the Pampers diapers. But the mesh lining would stick to her butt and not allow airing out. We only use Aquaphor for cream and put it on at every change. And for wipes, everytime we change her we run her butt under the sink in the bathroom and wash her tush. Even when we are at the store. After dealing with severe diaper rash, you will do anything that works! Since the change, she has not has a rash.

Also, my Ped gave DD a script for Silvaden which is a burn cream and that is the only other thing that I can put on her butt without her getting a reaction. I used that to clear up her rash.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"