May 2013 Moms

Trust your instincts!

I have always been one to listen to my instincts when something just didn't seem right, but this time I failed myself. I don't know if it was the lack of sleep/food/shower that made me second guess myself, but its something that will not happen again.  My child suffered because I didn't trust myself.  

Long story short, if you think you are having issues breastfeeding see a LC immediately! It is so worth any amount of money you may have to spend to see one. My LO is no longer starving!

Here is the long story: I knew something was off around the 5th day home. LO didn't seem as calm as he did in the hospital and was super cranky.  I never got the feeling of milk coming in that everyone said I would feel, but I have always been different when it comes to what they say will happen to your body medically.  We went to our first peds appointment and he had maintained his weight from the hospital, which the ped said was normal as it had only been 4 days since being discharged. However, if he hadn't gained any weight by the next week we needed to do more digging.  I knew something wasn't right, but I did nothing because I told myself that it was just first time mom nerves and everything was fine.  

Today we go to our 2 week appointment and LO has lost weight. Not a scary amount of weight, but he has now lost 10% of his birth weight.  My heart just sank, because I knew last week that something was wrong, yet I did nothing.  We immediately went to see a Lactation Consultant for a weighed feeding and for help.  LO has a great latch, but come to find out I have a really low milk supply and LO was basically starving.  For todays feeding, he only ate 20 ml which is less than an ounce from both breasts total!  

We are now supplementing through a Kangaroo tube so LO is getting the calories he needs, but we are still stimulating my breasts to make more milk.  Without her help, I probably would have just gave up and started only formula feeding.  

BFP#1 8/31/2012 EDD 5/11/2013 O born 5/2013!
BFP#2 9/28/2014 EDD 6/4/2015 Blighted Ovum 10/29/14 MC 11/12/14  

Re: Trust your instincts!

• Good for you for getting help! Glad the LC could do something for you.
  • Thank you for sharing your experience, I'm a little nervous about BFing. I'm glad that the LC was able to help you! Good luck with your supply and hopefully everything you're doing will help your LO gain weight.

BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP 9/18/2012 - EDD 5/31/2013 - It's a BOY!
  • Does your hospital offer a breastfeeding support group? I know all of the hospitals in my city do..Glad that you got the help that you needed! :) I had to go for myself, and not my baby this week...my nips were torn up and I was struggling thru the pain. Turns out her latch wasn't deep enough, and now its corrected and we're nursing pain free. Her 1 week appt is tomorrow and I will see where she is at then. Best of luck with your nursing!

Began TTC 2011

08/08/12 First round Femara-BFN
    BFP#1-2nd round Femara 9/10/12-EDD 5/18/13-DD born 5/15/13

BFP#2-9/26/14-EDD 5/29/15-MMC 10/11/14

photo a2b5c939-11b4-48fd-826b-03fffae455eb_zps57395b2f.jpg

December PAL Siggy Challenge - Meanwhile in Canada

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Sometimes we make mistakes as moms BUT it does not make us bad mothers progress over perfection! Glad you knew right where to go to get the help you two needed
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with trusting your instincts. I am glad you sought help and aren't giving up. There is no shame in supplementing too for the health of mom and baby. Prayers your supply starts to increase and LO gains some weight.
  • I had a similar situation. I'm so glad that things are getting better for you. It was hard but now that it's been more than a week, I feel less guilty. Breastfeeding is tough because you really have no idea what your output is! Don't beat yourself up too much, nearly every bfing mama has been there at some point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a similar issue, my lc recommend I try this herbal supplement that has worked wonders for my supply!

http://www.mountainmeadowherbs.com/Maxi_Milk_p/m1200.htm

(Sorry can't make click) 

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards