February 2012 Moms

Weird dosage recommendation from ped??

At the 15 month check up I asked the ped about acetaminophen and ibuprofen dosages now that he is over 24 lbs. She said it's 1 tsp for both. I just looked at the dosage chart on the ibuprofen bottle tonight, and 1 tsp is over twice as much as he would get at 23 lbs. That can't be right. Was she wrong? Was she talking about children's ibuprofen and not infants? I'm assuming there's a childrens ibuprofen.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Weird dosage recommendation from ped??

• I've heard the children's Motrin comes in a bottle with more ounces per dollar and is a way better value.  We need to get it for the dosing applicator anyway because DD is over 24 lbs.  But since I don't have it now I can't tell you what it says.
    BFP #1, DD: 02/28/2012 | BFP #2, EDD: 12/22/2013 M/MC | BFP #3, EDD: 05/17/2014 CP
    BFP #4, EDD: 07/25/2014 CP  | BFP #5, EDD: 08/28/2014 | All AL welcome
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • lancyjolancyjo
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its
    I'm pretty sure that's the dosage for the children's liquid, not the infants. :
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • mkarnsmkarns
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Love Its

image lancyjo:
    I'm pretty sure that's the dosage for the children's liquid, not the infants. :

yep. I freaked the first time I say Tylenol dosage but I was looking at children's and not infants. 

My Colton...Growing up so fast!

And Coralee, his baby sister...On the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

• My pedi has a website with medication dosages that it really helpful.  Google "advanced pediatrics Vienna."  Then look under medications and you will find a chart.  The dose is based on how many mg per mL so you also have to check the medication bottle.  
  • Our ped said we can start using children's.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• suiternsuitern
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper

image jldetweiler:
    My pedi has a website with medication dosages that it really helpful.  Google "advanced pediatrics Vienna."  Then look under medications and you will find a chart.  The dose is based on how many mg per mL so you also have to check the medication bottle.  

According to this website, the 1 tsp=5 mL is correct for over 24 lbs. which is in a suspension of 160 mg/5mL. I actually did a double take at our infant medicine because it does say 24 lbs and above is 1 tsp. I actually have never given him that much, but I gave him more than I used to the other day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • LjabinLjabin member
    I like the BabyCenter charts for dosage. Checking the mg rather than only following the volume of the dose is a good idea too.

For ibuprofen
    http://assets.babycenter.com/ims/Content/ibuprofen_dosage_chart.pdf

For tylonol
    http://assets.babycenter.com/ims/Content/acetaminophen_dosage_chart.pdf

General rule: drops are more concentrated than liquid. You can buy infant drops, infant liquid, or children's liquid. The infant liquid is the exact same concentration as children's liquid. True for US, I have no idea about everywhere else, so compare the labels. The only difference is the infant liquid comes in a smaller bottle, is more expensive per ounce, and comes with a syringe instead of a cup. I buy children's liquid and ask the pharmacy for a syringe. So far they're happy to give me one for free. It looks like your doctor's recommendation is for liquid rather than drops. Good Luck
  • My ped told me not to use infants, as the dosages are different and more complicated because they reformulated them.  I did sometimes buy infants, but he has always gotten children's at an infant dose.
  • It doesn't sound odd to me.  The chart we got from the ER said up to 24 pounds, 3.75 mL, over 24 pound 5 mL or 1tsp.  It depends on the medication dosage in the liquid itself.