January 2013 Moms

Baby led weaning

I have been researching introducing Jack to solids (at 6 months) recently and came across the BLW method.  It just makes so much sense.  I was originally going to incorporate pur?es with whole, soft foods but now I am thinking maybe we should just do full out blw.  Does anyone have any experience with it and would like to share any positives or negatives?

And, cute little side story: was thinking about baby led weaning while eating an apple...I was also putting Jack to sleep in my arms for his nap.  Well, out of nowhere, there was a little chunky hand on my apple!  I look down at Jack and he gave me a big smile!  Then, I said "apple" and he just started giggling.  I think he just gave me his opinion about BLW...and I think he is excited to start.  

BabyFruit Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Baby led weaning

• I would recommend reading this book and they have this cookbook too.  I haven't checked out the cookbook but am currently reading the book.  I know lots of girls through another moms group that have had lots of luck with it.  Be prepared for a little gagging as he learns his limits with his gag reflex.  Have fun!  It's how we plan to do as well!
    photo 769dde2a-c564-460c-ba30-82a19d2460da_zps5fb91eed.jpg
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker

Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• There was a little thread on this maybe a few days ago?  There were some recommendations suggested.  

I don't have any experience with it, but I'm planning to go this route this time around.  It just makes sense to me.  It wasn't the best option for DS, but I think it will work well with DD.   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image sbevmc09:

There was a little thread on this maybe a few days ago?  There were some recommendations suggested.  

I don't have any experience with it, but I'm planning to go this route this time around.  It just makes sense to me.  It wasn't the best option for DS, but I think it will work well with DD.   

Thanks...just found the thread! 

BabyFruit Ticker 

• image BLPL101:
    I would love to do this, but the choking scares me! My pedi doesn't recommend it either. I don't know...

My pedi isn't a huge fan but how do you think they used to feed babies?  It's actually the more natural way for a baby to learn to eat and can instill healthier eating habits early on.  As long as you supervise there shouldn't  be an issue with it.

photo 769dde2a-c564-460c-ba30-82a19d2460da_zps5fb91eed.jpg
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker

Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Am I the only person who doesn't like the idea of BLW!? Idk maybe I don't understand it correctly.
    eta I'm also gonna start oatmeal at 4 months....yikes!!
  • image BLPL101:
    I would love to do this, but the choking scares me! My pedi doesn't recommend it either. I don't know...

Read Rapleys book. It is so helpful! We did BLW and I really feel like it helped advance fine motor skills including speech.
    It's important to differentiate between choking and gagging. Gagging isn't harmful and it will happen. Choking is rare as long as you take the right precautions, like no nuts and letting baby feed themselves.
    I am so happy we did it with DD.

As for the pedi I'm guessing the not recommending comes more from unfamiliarity. When I mentioned it to our doc at the 4 m appointment he looked at me like 'wtf crazy lady?!?" But said he'd read up on it and we'd discuss at 6 months. He read it and was totally on board by that appointment.

When they recommended starting at 4m on solids they said to start finger foods at 6 m so it's not much different
  • image PrivacyWanted:
    image BLPL101:
    Read Rapleys book. It is so helpful! We did BLW and I really feel like it helped advance fine motor skills including speech. It's important to differentiate between choking and gagging. Gagging isn't harmful and it will happen. Choking is rare as long as you take the right precautions, like no nuts and letting baby feed themselves. I am so happy we did it with DD. As for the pedi I'm guessing the not recommending comes more from unfamiliarity. When I mentioned it to our doc at the 4 m appointment he looked at me like 'wtf crazy lady?!?" But said he'd read up on it and we'd discuss at 6 months. He read it and was totally on board by that appointment. When they recommended starting at 4m on solids they said to start finger foods at 6 m so it's not much different

I agree...just like some pedis are behind the times with the new solid timeline set for 6 months, some are also behind the times with things like blw.  Although, I do find it funny because how did our parents eat??  Not from gerber jars, that's for sure.  They did blw...only, they just called it feeding their babies.  ;). Blw makes it sound like something hippies do in a commune (not that there is anything wrong with that-to quote seinfeld).  

And I LOVE that your pedi did research on it before the 6 month appointment,  great doc IMO. 

As for choking, the way I understand it is that is more a gag reflex.  And, my SIL said this happened with her son when they moved from smooth pur?es to lumpier ones...so really, what's the difference?

Both me and my hubby are actually planning on taking a pediatric CPR course anyhow.  I'd much rather be safe than sorry.   

BabyFruit Ticker 

• image Christee25:
    Am I the only person who doesn't like the idea of BLW!? Idk maybe I don't understand it correctly.
    eta I'm also gonna start oatmeal at 4 months....yikes!!

Cereals are not recommended now. Read the books above or go to www.babyledweaning.com. Some great info has been learned recently about infant nutrition and what foods help and hinder digestive development. They rec fruits and veggies first which if you think about the new food pyramid guidelines, makes complete sense and are easier for all bodies to digest and process. Plus it's a good habit to start!

My little miracle.

Zona's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image PrivacyWanted:
    image BLPL101:

Read Rapleys book. It is so helpful! We did BLW and I really feel like it helped advance fine motor skills including speech.
    It's important to differentiate between choking and gagging. Gagging isn't harmful and it will happen. Choking is rare as long as you take the right precautions, like no nuts and letting baby feed themselves.
    I am so happy we did it with DD.

As for the pedi I'm guessing the not recommending comes more from unfamiliarity. When I mentioned it to our doc at the 4 m appointment he looked at me like 'wtf crazy lady?!?" But said he'd read up on it and we'd discuss at 6 months. He read it and was totally on board by that appointment.

When they recommended starting at 4m on solids they said to start finger foods at 6 m so it's not much different
    your ped is awesome.

My little miracle.

Zona's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Worked great and easy with my son.  Fortunately, my Pedi is always reading and pretty up to date so he also firmly recommends waiting until at least six months.  BLW is so much easier that puree.  No separate prep.  Besides, do you really want to eat mush?
  • image zonagirlie:
    image PrivacyWanted:
    image BLPL101:
    Read Rapleys book. It is so helpful! We did BLW and I really feel like it helped advance fine motor skills including speech. It's important to differentiate between choking and gagging. Gagging isn't harmful and it will happen. Choking is rare as long as you take the right precautions, like no nuts and letting baby feed themselves. I am so happy we did it with DD. As for the pedi I'm guessing the not recommending comes more from unfamiliarity. When I mentioned it to our doc at the 4 m appointment he looked at me like 'wtf crazy lady?!?" But said he'd read up on it and we'd discuss at 6 months. He read it and was totally on board by that appointment. When they recommended starting at 4m on solids they said to start finger foods at 6 m so it's not much different
    your ped is awesome.

LOVE that your ped read up on it!  That's neat.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • We should start a BLW group or something once we all start so we can talk about foods we've tried, what works best, easy recipes, ect.  Or talk about it here, like a weekly check in maybe?  I'm new at it too and I know I'll be looking for ideas once I start.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image Wild_flower25:
    We should start a BLW group or something once we all start so we can talk about foods we've tried, what works best, easy recipes, ect.  Or talk about it here, like a weekly check in maybe?  I'm new at it too and I know I'll be looking for ideas once I start.

That is a great idea!! I don't think I know anyone in the real world who is doing blw...it would be an enormous support!   

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Yeah, I kind of do a mix of BLW and classic weaning. I just love to see my baby eating all by herself even that's a lot of mess after eating. But still she's just too cute, sweet angel while eating. . I first find it hard to tell which solids were recommended for her and which to avoid, but I found this website http://goodmomming.com/ and it kind of solved my problem. You could use it when your baby is ready. 

• I'm a little behind on this but intrigued. I was just reading a little from one of the links posted and the site says to start with bigger pieces. I'd initially think that you'd want to start with tiny pieces. Do you use larger "french fry" size pieces so they can hold onto it and naw on it versus putting the tiny piece in their mouth and chewing it? Just trying to visualize :-)  Thanks!