Breastfeeding

Surgery tomorrow.... need help

I go in for surgery tomorrow where they will put me under. I have milk stored bcuz I assumed I wouldn't be able to BF afterwards. How long will I have to pump dump for before its safe to bf again?
Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Surgery tomorrow.... need help

• AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper

Tell the anesthesiologist that you are breastfeeding and want bf safe meds only. Tell the nurses the same thing, as well as your dr. As soon as you are awake from the anesthesia and feel up to it, you are safe to breastfeed, or pump and keep the milk. There is usually no reason to pump and dump.

edit to add, what surgery are you having done? remember women who have csections which is major abdominal surgery--even if put under general anesthesia are able to breastfeed after surgery as soon as they are feeling up to it, and the pain meds they are given are safe for bfing.

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.

• When I had surgery, I opted to pump and dump for 24 hours, but it was a precaution that was most likely not necessary.

Bring your pump to the hospital, and pump as close as you can to the surgery - I was able to pump before the surgery after I was all checked in; I just let them know I needed to do so.  I'm not sure what surgery you are having, but for me, it was 7 hours before I was able to pump again (woken up enough etc), so it was critical that I had pumped right before or it would have been even longer.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• leasajleasaj
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Love Its
    Its outpatient surgery to remove a stent that was placed 15 wks ago due to kidney stones. We are taking our LO with us so I will be able to feed her right up until they take me into the OR. I just wasn't sure abt feeding her afterwards and whether it was safe.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker