Multiples

Sleep...please tell me that it will be OK someday...

One of my girls has literally gone insane at night.  She was waking up once a night, and then a month ago we took a trip to Sweden for my work.  Now she is waking up every hour or two and refusing to go back down.  Even if I nurse her all the way to sleep, she pops back up when I lay her in her crib and starts to scream.  She is showing no signs of pain or anything new during the day.  

I literally feel as if the world around me isn't real.  Please tell me this will end someday. 

Re: Sleep...please tell me that it will be OK someday...

• Deep breaths! How old are they? It will pass.

Try limiting visual stimulation during the day. Maybe she's having a hard time processing and just trying to communicate.

Growing pains? Teething? Maybe try a little tylenol?

You will make it through this!

• Six months as of yesterday - the reason I haven't thought teething or pain is that she seems totally normal (well, sleepier than usual, but otherwise normal) during the day.

How do you limit visual stimulation?  I haven't heard about this...

And thanks:) 

• Loading the player...
  • imagecailinmeister:

Six months as of yesterday - the reason I haven't thought teething or pain is that she seems totally normal (well, sleepier than usual, but otherwise normal) during the day.

awe, *hugs* it will get better. It's just a trial and error thing for a season or two ;) Try administering the age appropriate dose of ibuprofen before bed and if that helps, then you will know it was probably teeth related :)

God gave me a double portion for my inheritance with my little Mighty men :) 9/19/10 Baby A born at 1:47 am 6lbs 14oz, 20.5inches long. Baby B born at 3:20 am 6lbs 6oz, 19.5inches long. My double blessing!:)
  • I'm so sorry. Both of my boys were terrible sleepers so I understand how exhausted you are. I don't have any other advice, just empathy!
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • xoexpatxoexpat member
    I feel for you!  Mine started doing something similar around that time, too.  It was so strange.  Since then, it's gotten better...and worse...and then levelled out.  Some days I go to bed right after dinner so at least I get some sleep.  I;m so sorry you're going through this!  I think the thing that helps me the most is to try to reframe it in my mind and think how one year is really a short time, relatively speaking.  I know that's not much help!  Hope this goes quickly for you.
  • jcathjcath member

How are they sleeping during the day?  I'd try to be pretty scheduled during the day and make sure they get enough naps - I'm a big believer in a tired baby sleeps worse.

No matter what...It will end.  Can you get some extra naps or help? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mirnbmirnb member
    Sorry you are going through this! Unfortunately they all go through these little stages where their sleep is upset for a time but just stick to your routine if it was working before and ride it out till it passes! When they do wake up you could try limiting eye contact or talking....do they take a soother? I would just replace soother and leave...were they previously still eating in the night? If not you may need to stop feeding or they will just want to wake up for food! Hope this passes quickly!
  • MrsLntMrsLnt member
    You do get through it. Months 4-9 or so are full of sleep regressions from development. Is she working on crawling, sitting up, pulling up, etc.? Those sorts of things really disturbed our sleep. It also sounds like it may be separation anxiety. We always put ours down drowsy but awake, but, if we'd go to them in the MOTN and they'd wake up as soon as we put them down, we finally resorted to CIO (that was around 8 months). Not something I really wanted to do but they were having trouble with self soothing and it was only a few minutes of crying for a few nights. 
  • imagecailinmeister:

Six months as of yesterday - the reason I haven't thought teething or pain is that she seems totally normal (well, sleepier than usual, but otherwise normal) during the day.

I've heard lots of visual stimulation (loud toys, tv, lots of people coming and going) are hard on babies probably around 1 to 3 months of age. Since I wasn't sure how old they were I just threw that out there.

Agree with PPs, they are growing and developing so quickly at this time and unfortunately there's not much you can do! If it makes ya feel better, I'm going through a wakeful phase right now too! We have been up at least four times a night lately. I hope your girl (and mine) come out of it soon! Hang in there!

• My daughter was doing that too. No other issues, a very happy baby all day long, up every 90 minutes at night. Turns out she was teething and had terrible fluid in her ears, she was in pain and couldn't take the pressure lying down! No fevers, no pulling at the ears. I brought her to the doc because sound machines, Tylenol, etc were not working. Two seconds with the pediatrician showed the problem! We tried different treatments, she ended up getting tubes three months later. Sleeps 10 hours every night now. A quick check up might help too. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"