February 2013 Moms

SO Not being cut out to SAH

I have found that most of my friends who enjoy SAH have a large support network of family and or friends. I know SAH is too isolating for me. I wonder if I would feel differently if I had a bigger support network.

Of course there are other factors, using my mind in a way I don't when I SAH, contributing a paycheck, etc. but I wonder how much support networks factor in.
View Full Size Image
Lilypie - (kxiS)
Lilypie - (BG2d)

Re: SO Not being cut out to SAH

• I have a huge support network and still don't love staying home.  Though I should clarify, I love staying at home on beautiful days when I have things to do with others or things to keep me busy at home.  Days like today when we're just sitting here, I'm not so fond of.  That's probably why I chose to be a teacher; summers off are a plus!  Back to my support network.  My mom would drop anything in a minute to come over on her days off to give me a break, my husband has a very flexible schedule and I am lucky enough to have lots of SAH friends.  Still, it's just not enough sometimes.  I love contributing financially and using what I'm good at.  Though, then I look at my son I'm so happy to spend this time with him.  This is the reason that I'm conflicted about going back to work or not. 
  • Drea926Drea926
    2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    I think the reason I need to go back to work eventually definitely has to do with the fact that I am really social. If I had a bunch of SAH mom friends and had people to be with every day then I would probably love it!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• I think it really depends. I tend to be very social at work and a homebody when I'm at home so full time SAH is really tough for me. I can just get cought up in home life and sort of forget about friends. I work part time, 15 to 20 hours per weeks, and it really helps me stay connected to the outside world. I know that sounds weird but it's the truth.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have a really awesome support network that lives really close by, and I can't imagine staying at home. I have a year off for Mat leave (i'm not complaining) but I'm going to start doing the 1 shift a week that you're allowed, because I don't wanna lose my skills. Also, I need to use my brain before it turns to mush, which it seems to be doing at an alarming rate. I need to be doing, thinking and problem solving. (I'm a registered nurse who works in an emergency room!). I haven't put an IV in someone in almost 5 months. I pitty the first person I stick when I go back! I love being a mommy, but I also love being a nurse, and I love my job. What I wouldn't give for a good trauma right now...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not to start a Mommy war, but I hate hate hate it when mothers say that they want to work so they can "use their brain".  The implication is that mothers who stay at home just do mindless tasks all day long and their brains are "turning to mush". 

I think as with everything you do, it is what you make of it.  If you are a person who requires a lot of adult interaction, you find ways to have adult interaction throughout your week through play groups or whatever.  If you are someone who needs a lot of mental stimulation, you can find ways to constantly learn and engage WHILE being with your children. 

Being at home doesn't mean you sit on your butt all day playing blocks and watching cartoons.  If you're doing it right you can find ways to challenge yourself, pursue your hobbies, make meaningful friendships with other adults, AND be with your children all day.  I get that it isn't like the corporate world or anything, but I sort of resent the idea that SAHMs have this mindless, boring life (and I am only home part-time).

DS1 - 8/07  DS2 - 1/09  DD1 - 3/11  DD2 - 2/13
  • image adamwife:
    Not to start a Mommy war, but I hate hate hate it when mothers say that they want to work so they can "use their brain".nbsp; The implication is that mothers who stay at home just do mindless tasks all day long and their brains are "turning to mush".nbsp;
    I think as with everything you do, it is what you make of it.nbsp; If you are a person who requires a lot of adult interaction, you find ways to have adult interaction throughout your week through play groups or whatever.nbsp; If you are someone who needs a lot of mental stimulation, you can find ways to constantly learn and engage WHILE being with your children.nbsp;
    Being at home doesn't mean you sit on your butt all day playing blocks and watching cartoons.nbsp; If you're doing it right you can find ways to challenge yourself, pursue your hobbies, make meaningful friendships with other adults, AND be with your children all day.nbsp; I get that it isn't like the corporate world or anything, but I sort of resent the idea that SAHMs have this mindless, boring life and I am only home parttime.

For the record I said: use my mind in a way that I don't when I SAH. Not that I don't use my mind. I have no reason to balance equations or set up a Tchart for a stoichiometry problem when I'm at home. I use it differently and it does tend to turn to mush when I'm not using it the way I would at work.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • I have a pretty big network, and live in an area where there are a lot of great, free or cheap activities for parents with young kids - due to extensive parental leave - and I am still always happy to go back to work.

I was on leave for 18 months with my first and am planning on 12 months with this one, with DH staying home for 6 months this time around, and that is enough for me.

I love the time with the kids, but I also love my job. I cannot wait to go back. The money is not a problem, as I get paid to be home, but I like to get out and do something on my own on a daily basis. I have my own company, so set my hours to make sure I get plenty of time with the kids. I think it is a good combination for all of us.  

LO born Feb 2010 m/mc 03.25.12 @ 11 weeks measured 8 Pgal/Pal always welcome
  • alitriaalitria
    100 Comments

For me, when I SAH I tend to get into a rut and I don't really use my brain as much as I do when I'm working.  Maybe if I were going to SAH permanently I'd be better about finding ways to challenge myself but I tend to get so caught up in chores and errands and day-to-day tasks that I forget to do things for me.  I think it's a difference in personality.  I tend to become a hermit when left alone and it's not what's best for me or my son.  When I'm going to work and I have to leave the house every day, I stay far more engaged. I also know people who get way more social and involved when they are home.  I think a lot of how much you "use your brain" has to do with your individual personality. 

In my case, I have to work for financial reasons, but I think my ideal situation would be if I were able to work half time so I could use my grad school that I'm still paying off, still stay active in my field but have more opportunity to spend lots of time with my LO. 

• SagenSagen
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper

I have been a SAHM for almost 9 years! At first I had a hard time with it because I didn't have any friends with kids, and I felt lonely. Finally I just decided either I would work, or I would like to SAHM. So I being somewhat shy forced myself to branch out and make other mom friends. I hang out with friends often, in fact I just got back from hanging out with a couple. Yesterday I went to lunch and shopping with my best friend who has a baby a month older than my LO. We get out a lot. I never wear PJs and hang out all day. I read books, I stay up on current events. My kids love animals. We will pick one and watch a documentary, then go to the library and gets books on it, or go to the zoo. I fill our time with pool, play, learning. I hate being home too much so I am always on the look out for new fun things to do. If I feel like I need a minute my kids can entertain themselves for awhile. I never feel like my needs are not met because  I can have them read on the couch or play a game with out me. As far as the baby goes I clean with him, and talk about it along the way, then like now nap time is here and I can hop on the computer for it minute. I love that my life has flexibility, and *for me* working out side the home seems like too much to put on my plate. I have to hand it to the working moms I am amazed that you work all day, then come home to work some more. House needs cleaning, family fed. I have more time to devote to getting it done during the day, so my evenings are relaxing.

If you want to be a SAHM but feel like it is too isolating or boring, I can tell you it is not if you make it not be. We all are doing our best though, it is hard to talk about SAHM and hope that you aren't sounding like your dissing WOHM I swear my mom worked and is the best mom ever! I just think people get the wrong idea about SAHM, or they don't really take advantage and make it something that is enjoyable. I fill my time with playing with my kids, books, friends, cleaning, cooking, relaxing, what I do is pretty dang enjoyable! As far as brain turning to mush, as long as I am actively learning something it is all good. My poor Dr husband has to deal with my picking his brain every night. We have dicussions about medicine all the time. I will read things and ask his opinion. In med school his OB test he had a prep test to study and I told him the answer when he thought it was other wise. He put the answer I said and was one of only a few that got it right. It was because I had read an article about it.

Mom to 4 cute kids! 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo boy and new baby boy!
  • image Teacher Clark:
    image adamwife:
    Not to start a Mommy war, but I hate hate hate it when mothers say that they want to work so they can "use their brain".nbsp; The implication is that mothers who stay at home just do mindless tasks all day long and their brains are "turning to mush".nbsp; I think as with everything you do, it is what you make of it.nbsp; If you are a person who requires a lot of adult interaction, you find ways to have adult interaction throughout your week through play groups or whatever.nbsp; If you are someone who needs a lot of mental stimulation, you can find ways to constantly learn and engage WHILE being with your children.nbsp; Being at home doesn't mean you sit on your butt all day playing blocks and watching cartoons.nbsp; If you're doing it right you can find ways to challenge yourself, pursue your hobbies, make meaningful friendships with other adults, AND be with your children all day.nbsp; I get that it isn't like the corporate world or anything, but I sort of resent the idea that SAHMs have this mindless, boring life and I am only home parttime.
    For the record I said: use my mind in a way that I don't when I SAH. Not that I don't use my mind. I have no reason to balance equations or set up a Tchart for a stoichiometry problem when I'm at home. I use it differently and it does tend to turn to mush when I'm not using it the way I would at work.

I wasn't talking specifically about you, just the way these conversations about SAHM vs. working mom tend to unravel.  I just think it can come off offensively to SAHMs sometimes, like they don't use their brains.

Maybe it's my line of work.  I do grant writing.  I could write anywhere, so it's impossible for my location to cause my mind to turn to "mush".  During my kids' naps I can get out a journal, start writing, and it's all there.  I guess I assume that most other people can do the same thing.  Or that I could always find other rewarding ways to keep my mind active and challenged even if it were impossible to translate my work into my homelife.

• Whatever tickles your pickle. Some people it's the right thing for them some people it's not. Me I knew I wanted to work after a couple weeks of maternity leave. I like my job and I'm good at it. That being said being a stay at home mom is a job and it's a tough one at that. My mother should have got a nobel prize or something for raising my brother and I. We were devil children Wink
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • eh, IDK.  I LOVE SAH and my local support network is pretty much nonexistent. 
    Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy, egg, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (q2ek) Lilypie - (nqAF)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• I have a great family local support network. It definitely does make it easier for me to SAH. That being said, I totally 100% agree with everything you said, +adamwife+
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it depends on the mother's personality. I don't have any family in the area (only accessible by plane trips), and I have a very limited support network - plus my DH travels for work and is gone Monday through Thursday every week, so I function like a single mom most of the time. While it has it's challenges, I haven't felt isolated at all. By nature, I am a pretty independent person. I completely agree with +adamwife+ - SAH is what you make of it. I seek out lots of interaction - library times, breastfeeding support group, play dates, we have memberships to the zoo and children's museum, we do lots of day trips, etc. We're out and about most of the time. I'm even contemplating taking the girls on an overnight trip by myself to a major city nearby, just because I want to take DD to the aquarium there and I don't want to wait for DH to want to do it. I've just never been the type to depend on others to take care of me. Sure, I would love to be able to have a date night with my husband, or to be able to go out with adult friends more often (not just play dates with DD's friends and their parents), etc. but it's not in the cards for us. it is what it is. 

While I enjoyed my career (I have a master's degree in social work and have worked in a variety of challenging settings), I really enjoy staying at home - they are only little once, and I will never get this time back. Being with my kids is way more fun (and challenging) than work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image WinterBenson:
    I have a really awesome support network that lives really close by, and I can't imagine staying at home. I have a year off for Mat leave (i'm not complaining) but I'm going to start doing the 1 shift a week that you're allowed, because I don't wanna lose my skills. Also, I need to use my brain before it turns to mush, which it seems to be doing at an alarming rate. I need to be doing, thinking and problem solving. (I'm a registered nurse who works in an emergency room!). I haven't put an IV in someone in almost 5 months. I pitty the first person I stick when I go back! I love being a mommy, but I also love being a nurse, and I love my job. What I wouldn't give for a good trauma right now...

Ha ha, sounds funny, but I get it. I one time had 8 months off for a knee surgery and rehab ( my doc's wife was an ER nurse so he knew the athleticism involved at times and wouldn't let me back til then). I was nervous for my first IV too. Actually a little shaky, but it was also an infant with severe difficulty breathing that someone had already missed on. After I got that my confidence was back, and I was fine.

I was pretty impressed yesterday we had training at work and had a mock pedi code. The lead doctor in this scenario has been off work for 4 months for maternity leave. She did a beautiful job.

I totally would do the shift a week thing. You'll feel like you never left in no time.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image +adamwife+:

image Teacher Clark:
    image adamwife:
    Not to start a Mommy war, but I hate hate hate it when mothers say that they want to work so they can "use their brain".nbsp; The implication is that mothers who stay at home just do mindless tasks all day long and their brains are "turning to mush".nbsp; I think as with everything you do, it is what you make of it.nbsp; If you are a person who requires a lot of adult interaction, you find ways to have adult interaction throughout your week through play groups or whatever.nbsp; If you are someone who needs a lot of mental stimulation, you can find ways to constantly learn and engage WHILE being with your children.nbsp; Being at home doesn't mean you sit on your butt all day playing blocks and watching cartoons.nbsp; If you're doing it right you can find ways to challenge yourself, pursue your hobbies, make meaningful friendships with other adults, AND be with your children all day.nbsp; I get that it isn't like the corporate world or anything, but I sort of resent the idea that SAHMs have this mindless, boring life and I am only home parttime.

I wasn't talking specifically about you, just the way these conversations about SAHM vs. working mom tend to unravel.  I just think it can come off offensively to SAHMs sometimes, like they don't use their brains.

Maybe it's my line of work.  I do grant writing.  I could write anywhere, so it's impossible for my location to cause my mind to turn to "mush".  During my kids' naps I can get out a journal, start writing, and it's all there.  I guess I assume that most other people can do the same thing.  Or that I could always find other rewarding ways to keep my mind active and challenged even if it were impossible to translate my work into my homelife.

When I SAH I don't have that kind of downtime to indulge in my own interests. Maybe if my kids were in school, but my 4YO doesn't nap anymore and isn't in preschool during my mat leave. If I had someone to watch my kids, then ya, but I'm too busy with my kids to indulge my own interests.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image Teacher Clark:
    When I SAH I don't have that kind of downtime to indulge in my own interests. Maybe if my kids were in school, but my 4YO doesn't nap anymore and isn't in preschool during my mat leave. If I had someone to watch my kids, then ya, but I'm too busy with my kids to indulge my own interests.

That's unfortunate.  Honest question - why don't you have ANY free time with only two kids?  No snark intended.  I have four of them and none of mine are in preschool either. In fact, I do all of their schooling myself - one working on first grade work, one doing kindergarten and one preschool. But even with homeschooling and taking care of four small children, I have plenty of time to indulge in my own interests (obviously enough to get on the computer every now and then too ;). I have a nice block of time in the afternoon during naps(required quiet time for older ones who don't want to nap). I love cooking, crafting, gardening, canning, reading, and writing. I involve the kids in a lot of stuff - cooking, crafting, gardening, baking, etc. I get to do what I enjoy and the kids learn a lot in the process. Reading and writing are done during downtime. For example, just yesterday the three older kids were playing in the back yard and the baby was napping while we were watching them play. I was able to get out a book and read for quite a while.

My sister is a SAHM with four kids and her interests include triathlon. She is currently training for an iron man as a SAHM.

I guess it would be harder if you only have one older child and they require a lot of your attention to be entertained,  I guess that's one of the benefits of having a lot of little ones - they entertain/learn from each other and give you a lot more time to focus on your own interests.

• image +adamwife+:

image Teacher Clark:

That's unfortunate.  Honest question - why don't you have ANY free time with only two kids?  No snark intended.  I have four of them and none of mine are in preschool either. In fact, I do all of their schooling myself - one working on first grade work, one doing kindergarten and one preschool. But even with homeschooling and taking care of four small children, I have plenty of time to indulge in my own interests. I have a nice block of time in the afternoon during naps(required quiet time for older ones who don't want to nap). I love cooking, crafting, gardening, canning, reading, and writing. I involve the kids in a lot of stuff - cooking, crafting, gardening, baking, etc. I get to do what I enjoy and the kids learn a lot in the process. Reading and writing are done during downtime. For example, just yesterday the three older kids were playing in the back yard and the baby was napping while we were watching them play. I was able to get out a book and read for quite a while.

My sister is a SAHM with four kids and her interests include triathlon. She is currently training for an iron man as a SAHM.

I guess it would be harder if you only have one older child and they require a lot of your attention to be entertained,  I guess that's one of the benefits of having a lot of little ones - they entertain/learn from each other and give you a lot more time to focus on your own interests.

I interact with my kid. I figure if I'm home it's to be with my kids, not to send them to their rooms so I can do my own thing. I had 32 years to do that. I also know you have mentioned your family members or your nanny come help you, I don't have that. I know the time that I have small kids at home is finite. I choose to spend my time with them. My MIL who does OT with special needs kids whole heartedly agrees. I view her as an expert since her career is based on helping kids reach their full potential both academically and socially.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • I enjoy SAH (I worked until DD1 was 18 months) but I definitely wouldn't like it if I hadn't made a point to make mom friends, join classes and play groups, etc. I CAN'T just stay home with the kids all day. I spent a month on semi-bedrest before DD2 was born and DD1 and I went stir crazy. But now we usually have play dates 2-3 times a week with moms that I really like, plus Little Gym once a week, and we go to the gym every day where I get to work out, shower in peace, and the girls get to be entertained in the childcare center. Squeeze in a nap for DD1 and a few naps for DD2 and it makes for very busy days!
  • image Teacher Clark:
    image +adamwife+:

image Teacher Clark:

That's unfortunate.  Honest question - why don't you have ANY free time with only two kids?  No snark intended.  I have four of them and none of mine are in preschool either. In fact, I do all of their schooling myself - one working on first grade work, one doing kindergarten and one preschool. But even with homeschooling and taking care of four small children, I have plenty of time to indulge in my own interests. I have a nice block of time in the afternoon during naps(required quiet time for older ones who don't want to nap). I love cooking, crafting, gardening, canning, reading, and writing. I involve the kids in a lot of stuff - cooking, crafting, gardening, baking, etc. I get to do what I enjoy and the kids learn a lot in the process. Reading and writing are done during downtime. For example, just yesterday the three older kids were playing in the back yard and the baby was napping while we were watching them play. I was able to get out a book and read for quite a while.

I interact with my kid. I figure if I'm home it's to be with my kids, not to send them to their rooms so I can do my own thing. I had 32 years to do that. I also know you have mentioned your family members or your nanny come help you, I don't have that. I know the time that I have small kids at home is finite. I choose to spend my time with them. My MIL who does OT with special needs kids whole heartedly agrees. I view her as an expert since her career is based on helping kids reach their full potential both academically and socially.

I guess this entire conversation just goes to show that there's no one "right" way to parent. We all bring something different to the table and bless our kids in different ways. No one's got it perfect, but no one here seems to be completely screwing it up either.

Cheers to happy and healthy kids!
    Mommy to Seth (4) and Catherine Anne (13 mo.) Excited to welcome a third child in March of 2013!
  • image Teacher Clark:
    image +adamwife+:

image Teacher Clark:

I have a nanny that comes two days a week so I can work, not so I can explore my hobbies. The other three days I am home and doing it on my own. 

I think you misunderstood me - there is a difference between sending your child to their room so they can do their own thing and requiring your child to have some down time/quiet time. In a house as busy as mine, where children are constantly playing and interacting with other children, it is important for them to have a few hours each day to themselves where they can either get some rest or read/play quietly on their own. Fortunately, it works out that that same time allows Mom to rest or read/play on her own too. Do you hover over your child all day long and never allow them time to themselves? If so, I would argue that it could be inhibiting them from reaching that academic and social potential that is important to you. Children need time to explore the world on their own without Mom breathing down their necks.  It's how they learn to interact with their peers and put into practice the things Mom taught them while she was around.

I choose to spend my time with my children too. They are constantly WITH me, but it doesn't mean that my focus has to be on them 24/7. They need to know the world doesn't revolve around them and that Mom is a person that has her own interests and hobbies outside of her role as a Mother.  I can go between playing with them and doing my own thing throughout the day.  I think maybe that's the difference between only having one older child and having a few.  My kids don't want to play with me all day long - they want to play with each other and just have Mom be around to interject or add to their play as needed.

If it works for you, more power to you. I could never play with my children all.day.long. I would go insane. We do school, I read to them, I play with them, and I include them in whatever I need to get done each day - my chores, my baking, my gardening, etc. But everyone needs a break and I think that is a very healthy thing. From one mother to another, I hope that you find a way to give yourself one during the day! You deserve it!

• image +adamwife+:

Not to start a Mommy war, but I hate hate hate it when mothers say that they want to work so they can "use their brain".  The implication is that mothers who stay at home just do mindless tasks all day long and their brains are "turning to mush". 

I think as with everything you do, it is what you make of it.  If you are a person who requires a lot of adult interaction, you find ways to have adult interaction throughout your week through play groups or whatever.  If you are someone who needs a lot of mental stimulation, you can find ways to constantly learn and engage WHILE being with your children. 

Being at home doesn't mean you sit on your butt all day playing blocks and watching cartoons.  If you're doing it right you can find ways to challenge yourself, pursue your hobbies, make meaningful friendships with other adults, AND be with your children all day.  I get that it isn't like the corporate world or anything, but I sort of resent the idea that SAHMs have this mindless, boring life (and I am only home part-time).

I  agree. I think volunteer work is great too. I co-lead a women's ministry that is every bit as challenging as my full time job was. 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Good point, Teach!

I JUST put in my notice to be a SAHM, and right now we're living with my parents while DH finishes up his teaching cred. (He's changing careers.) So we just went up to visit a new town 5 hours North, for an interview, and it hit me that my 15 week old baby may not be enough company for me during the long days.... Right now I'm fine, but I'm prone to depression when I'm not busy. Having a baby makes me busy, and occupies my mind... but I'm a little nervous about my depression coming back being a SAHM.  

• image Bridehilda:
    Good point, Teach!I JUST put in my notice to be a SAHM, and right now we're living with my parents while DH finishes up his teaching cred. He's changing careers. So we just went up to visit a new town 5 hours North, for an interview, and it hit me that my 15 week old baby may not be enough company for me during the long days.... Right now I'm fine, but I'm prone to depression when I'm not busy. Having a baby makes me busy, and occupies my mind... but I'm a little nervous about my depression coming back being a SAHM. nbsp;

Good luck! A few of the PPs had good input on getting out of your comfort zone and meeting people. I live in a really small town without many social outlets unless you're religious so it's not easy to meet new people here. I too can get in a funk when I have too many hours with just a baby and preschooler. Hopefully you can find some good mommy groups to help get you out of the house.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • Maybe I should re-word what I said. I need to use my skills. My nurse skills. 

Though I do feel like I have mush for a brain lately. I can't remember simple things, like names, or the next word I wanted to use in a sentence.  

BabyFruit Ticker