C-sections

C-section Question... would you?

This is my third child and both of my previous children were born vaginally, but they are recommending a c-section this time.

Okay, so I have never been this pregnant before (38 weeks today).  Both of my lovely children were not small by their 37 week gestation- DS- 7lb 7oz, DD- 7lb 11oz. 

This time at 36 weeks 2 days I had an ultrasound where they were measuring this baby at 8lb 6oz (for comparison... same time period measurement of my DD said she was 8lb 8 oz... born two days later at 7lb 11oz).  They said they were concerned about size and wanted a repeat ultrasound at 38 weeks if I made it there.  So, yesterday at 37 weeks 6 days, I had one, and she is now measuring 9lb 14 oz... so a growth of 1.5 pounds in 1.5 weeks.  They are saying I should schedule a C-Section because of the risks associated with a large baby (earliest they will induce or cs is 39 weeks... so one week from today). 

I feel like there is no way those estimated fetal weights can be right.  Her head may be a little big (it was measuring 40 weeks) but her femur was measuring 43 (my husband is 6'4"... we have tall skinny kids).  I just cant imagine its right, and yesterday I got really emotional about it when I was at the doctor's office and they said I would need to get a c-section because if I tried, she might not fit(because of shoulders) and could end in an emergency c-sect anyway which is really dangerous and could lead to oxygen deprivation for the baby. 

This just feels wrong to me to not even try.  My daughter (7 11) was so easy, no tearing, no anything 15 minutes of pushing.  But how do I know what the right thing to do is?

And before I get flamed... I know that this is the internet, and you are not doctors, but you are moms or about to be moms, and I am just not sure what to do.

Re: C-section Question... would you?

  • I had to make the same decision. They were telling me my LO was estimated to be ver 10#. They gave me the option of induction at 39weeks (I had GD), or c-section at 39.5weeks. I thought long and hard, cried quite a bit, but eventually decided to have the c-section because I didn't want to risk my baby's health if he got stuck. I had never had any kind of surgery or anesthesia, and I was terrified.

    He was born at 8#7oz, which was smaller than my 1st who I delivered vaginally. I had a moment of anger when he was first born that I had a c-section for "no reason:, but I was just relieved he was healthy.

    I know it is a very difficult decision to make, and not one to be taken lightly. I thought the c-section was the best decision for me and my family. The recovery was tougher than my vaginal delivery, but I didn't think it was too bad. Good luck with your decision.

    image

    image


    image
  • Kie310Kie310
    Seventh Anniversary
    member

    I have had 2 c/s now. One unscheduled & one scheduled. While nothing major happened in either & while the recovery for both wasn't terrible I would not choose to have a c/s because of the possible size of my baby alone.

    It is a very personal choice & not one anyone else can make for you, but if it were me - no, the possible size of the baby would not be the only reason I would have a c/s.

    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

    image


    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Kie310:

    I have had 2 c/s now. One unscheduled & one scheduled. While nothing major happened in either & while the recovery for both wasn't terrible I would not choose to have a c/s because of the possible size of my baby alone.

    It is a very personal choice & not one anyone else can make for you, but if it were me - no, the possible size of the baby would not be the only reason I would have a c/s.

    This...the measurements can be way off.  I HATED my section and my recovery was awful...I would never pick a c section.  Just really do your research...good luck.

    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    image
    DS born August 5, 2010...can't believe he is 4!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    image image
  • mnj05mnj05
    250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its
    member

    My OB was estimating DS to be 9lbs, but never did any growth ultrasounds because they aren't accurate that late term. She let me decide and actually wanted to avoid a c/s herself. I was induced at 39 weeks and pushed for 3 and a half hours. DS ultimately got his head stuck, he was making progress every time I pushed but eventually he went from great progress to very little. I was way too tired to continue and my OB finally said she thought I should go in for a c/s so we did.

    If you feel like you can try, I'd say go for it. I'd do it again and if I end up being a good candidate for a VBAC for the next one, I'm going to try again.

     image Photobucket

    TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy EDD 3/7/2013
    Hudson James born 3/1/2013 7lbs 15oz 21in long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

    IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

    FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823


  • As PP said, those estimates are not always accurate.

    I also don't understand why they won't let you try vaginally with a "large baby".  Women delivered large babies vaginally throughout history.  There are different birthing positions you can do (like on all fours) that open your vag wider to allow a larger baby to come out.

     This seems a little too dramatic for me (not you, the doctors). 

    image







  • You first two at 7lbs aren't that large, to me. Women do have 9+lb babies vaginally also, it's not uncommon. I would have doubts as well, and possibly look into a second opinion or a good thorough discussion with your doctor about the risks and why they feel like you particularly would need to go this route. Is there something in your medical history that makes them think a c-section is going to be safer? Ultimately it's between you and your doctor to figure out what is the safest route for you, but you should definitely advocate for yourself and ask questions.

    My doctor expressed concerns over DS's size towards the end of the pregnancy. She had me go in for a growth ultrasound to check on things at 34wks, and he was already about 6-7lbs then. She estimated he would be 8-10lbs by full term. She was concerned that we would end up with a c-section, but never offered to do one earlier or offered to induce early. I didn't go into labor until 40w3d. DS was almost 9lbs, and he did get stuck- but he was sunny side up, his head was in the 96th percentile, and my labor was irregular, so I don't think his size alone was the deciding factor.

    ***siggy warning***
    Miscarriages: 5/08, 3/09, 11/09

    DS 2y
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    image

  • I think it's ridiculous for them to even suggest a csection!  1) ACOG just put out a statement saying a csection shouldn't be scheduled for large babies!  2) You've had 2 successful vaginal births already! 3) Growth ultrasounds can be off by 2 lbs and are less accurate the further into the pregnancy.  Have you seen your OB's csection rates??  Have you used this OB before?  I would be seriously concerned about ending up with an unnecessary csection and make sure you know you don't have to agree to anything you aren't comfortable with!

     

    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • That sounds like crazy talk to me.  If the ultrasound measurements are the only reason they are suggesting a c-section i would say no.
    IAmPregnant Ticker

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


    image

    image

    image
  • image pitterpatter129:

    I think it's ridiculous for them to even suggest a csection!  1) ACOG just put out a statement saying a csection shouldn't be scheduled for large babies!  2) You've had 2 successful vaginal births already! 3) Growth ultrasounds can be off by 2 lbs and are less accurate the further into the pregnancy.  Have you seen your OB's csection rates??  Have you used this OB before?  I would be seriously concerned about ending up with an unnecessary csection and make sure you know you don't have to agree to anything you aren't comfortable with!

    This. All of this. I am a c/s & don't have a problem with c/s births in general. (It would be a little back wards if I did) However I do think that a lot of doctors have a tendency to c/s not necessarily because it's the best option for mom & baby but because it makes things more predictable; especially when expecting a big baby, labor takes "too" long, baby is a bit past due date, or they don't feel confident helping deliver VBAC. While these reasons CAN be reasons for a c/s or rcs I think with current studies most can agree these reasons have been a bit over used in the past. Meanwhile having a big baby does not necessarily mean you will have trouble in labor. Average birth weight is between 5.5-10 lbs; this to me says while 10lbs might be big it's not BIG.

    All in all it has to be the right decision for you that you are comfortable with. 

    BFP 4/3/07 EDD 11/23/07 MC 7/20/07 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Lots of moms have larger babies after having smaller ones. You've gone through vaginal birth twice - *even if* your current baby is large, you have a very very good chance of pushing her out (better than an average first-time mom).

    Personally, I would refuse any more u/s. Is changing providers at all feasible this late in the game? At least staying home until you're in full-blown labor?

    FWIW, my first son was a c/s after I pushed for 4+ hours with little to no progress. He was 8lb 4oz. My second baby, born vaginally, was 10lb 10oz and 23.5in. I pushed two hours with him, but he came out just fine.

    Good luck!!!

    DS1 - Feb 2008

    DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

  • image pitterpatter129:

    I think it's ridiculous for them to even suggest a csection!  1) ACOG just put out a statement saying a csection shouldn't be scheduled for large babies!  2) You've had 2 successful vaginal births already! 3) Growth ultrasounds can be off by 2 lbs and are less accurate the further into the pregnancy.  Have you seen your OB's csection rates??  Have you used this OB before?  I would be seriously concerned about ending up with an unnecessary csection and make sure you know you don't have to agree to anything you aren't comfortable with!

     

    I agree.  There's no way I would schedule a c-section for a large baby if I'd already had 2 vaginal births. 

  • I guess this is hard for me because I really did not regret my c-section at all. I guess the best advice I can give you is to just go with your gut and do what feels right.  Also...she might not even be that large. My doctor was saying LO was measuring very large, like 9+ lbs. She was actually 7 lbs 13 oz at birth.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

    image



    image
  • ceechieceechie
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    member
    image hopefulmom81:
    As PP said, those estimates are not always accurate.I also don't understand why they won't let you try vaginally with a "large baby". nbsp;Women delivered large babies vaginally throughout history. nbsp;There are different birthing positions you can do like on all fours that open your vag wider to allow a larger baby to come out.nbsp;This seems a little too dramatic for me not you, the doctors.nbsp;

    Totally agree!
    My first was 8lbs 8 oz and my second was 9lbs and 11oz. I had both vaginally without any complications. It took only 4 pushes and no meds to get number 2 out. No shoulder dis. I tore, but I also tore with the first. But I healed and its ok.
    I'm only on this board now bc I'm having twins and baby b is transverse and super high up and I have a high prob of c sec.
    Good luck but trust instincts and maybe get a second opinion.
  • When I was pregnant with my 1st, she was late and estimated to be 8lbs 10 oz. They told me the same thing they told you--there was a risk of her not fitting (shoulders not fitting bc I'm VERY petite) and that I could choose induction or c/s.

    I was induced and after 14 hours with no progress it ended in a c/s. DD turned out to be 9lbs 1 oz. So yes, the measurements can be off but they can also be off the other way too.

    That's a tough decision to make. But if you've had other kids vaginally before, I'd still want to try with this one. 

  • emmy236emmy236
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Combo Breaker
    member
    I am in the same boat. I have been measuring so far ahead all pregnancy but the doctors figured Id go early. My last growth scan was at 36 weeks and he was around 7.5 to 8lbs then. My husband is 6'7 so a large baby wasn't a shock. Well here I am at 41w1d and no progress at all. My doctors have let me go as long as they could to see if anything naturally would happen but I haven't dilated, rock hard cervix and the baby hasn't dropped at all. They told me the odds of an induction being successful given my current progression was low and then topped with having a baby who is pushing close to 10lbs is not a good situation. I never wanted a c section but the idea of subjecting my baby of hours of synthetic hormones that can cause stress on him and then ending up with the c section anyway doesn't seem worth it to me. You don't get an actual trophy or medal for suffering through it. Your reward is a healthy baby and that's all I want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards