Babies: 3 - 6 Months

We started solids!

Now dr told us to wait till 6mo, but DS is eating SO much BM that it's not keeping him full. He told us at his 4mo appt to add cereal to BM and feed it to him with a spoon and that's still not helping. He has more than doubled his birth weight, puts everything in his mouth, tries to grab our food out of our hands, and let's us know when he's full. We always try to stick to what the doc says, but we know our kid and see him every day, not every 2 months like the dr.

So last night for dinner he had peas with cereal mixed in and loved it! Tomorrow will be carrots! Anyone else say screw you to the 6 month "rule"? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: We started solids!

• Make sure to wait a couple days between new foods. You want to make sure they don't have any allergic reactions.i think the general rule is 4 days.
  • bmerrbmerr
    250 Answers 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary
    He told us to do one food for two days.
  • I was told 4 days as well....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I did 3 days with ds and now with dd. My mayo clinic book I have had since ds states 3 days. Most who do blw don't wait though.
    I planned on waiting until 6 months, but dd is more than ready. When she started stealing my food I gave in. I didn't do it daily until last week though. She gets an ounce of food once a day, sometimes a little more if she's going berserk at dinner. She doesn't seem to like fruit, but loves veggies.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • DD was ready for purees at 4 mos and I'm sure that DS will be too. We waited 3 days between new foods (DH is a pedi and an allergist, so I go with what he says). All this hype about waiting until 6mos is beyond me. If your kid is trying to eat, feed him! Also, the best window of time to introduce foods for the least chance of food allergies is 4-6 mos. Keep shoveling that food in!
     Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • my son is 5 months and our doctor told him to start on solids at his 4 month check up. my son eats oatmeal baby food and then a bottle..

but my doctor told us to start a new food every week. so he does a carrots for a week then apples for a week. but every doctor is different:) 

• jobiannjobiann
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 250 Answers 250 Love Its

image kielpinskim:
    DD was ready for purees at 4 mos and I'm sure that DS will be too. We waited 3 days between new foods (DH is a pedi and an allergist, so I go with what he says). All this hype about waiting until 6mos is beyond me. If your kid is trying to eat, feed him! Also, the best window of time to introduce foods for the least chance of food allergies is 4-6 mos. Keep shoveling that food in!

I thought it was 3 days too. I agree, if your baby is showing the signs, go for it! I'm thinking DS will be ready at 5 months or a week or so after. He is already sitting up almost on his own, tries to grab at our food and chomps his gums while he watches us eat. I've already started stocking up! 

100 "Parks And Recreation" GIFs To Celebrate The Show's 100th Episode

Anniversary

• CellisCellis
    250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments Combo Breaker
    image bmerr:

So last night for dinner he had peas with cereal mixed in and loved it! Tomorrow will be carrots! 

I was told to wait on carrots due to nitrates in them? I don't know much about them, but maybe worth looking into. I found some info here:

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/carrotsbabyfoodrecipes.html#.UZuJH7U-ZAo

Due to the issue of Nitrates, recommendations for the introduction of carrots varies. I have found that more often than not, the recommendation for introducing carrots is between 7 and 8 months old."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • The reason my pedi told me to wait until 6 mo was because my husband had allergies and I have asthma. I guess it lessens the chance that they'll develop either if we wait. So if you don't have them than I'd say go for it!
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Lurking here from the 6-9 mo board :) My LO also started early because he was interested, and he loved food. My pedi didn't care as long as LO's milk (or formula) intake stayed consistent.

If you aren't overly concerned about allergies, it probably isn't necessary to wait between foods. We never waited 3 days between foods, but no food allergies exist on either side of the family. If you are higher risk, you should probably wait to make it easier to identify which food causes a reaction. 

Oh, and the carrot thing is only if pureed carrots have been sitting around (the nitrates form over time). Jarred or freshly pureed (or pureed and immediately frozen) carrots are fine.
    imageimage
  • bmerrbmerr
    250 Answers 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary
    Thank you everyone! We've only been doing one feeding a day of food (yesterday and today was peas) and he is loving it. Tonight at dinner he ate an entire Gerber container of peas and still wanted more! Nobody in our families (going back 4-5 generations) have or had any allergies of any kind. Unless you want to include seasonal allergies that DH gets every spring......
  • Yep we started DD on solids at a little over 5 months.  We keep her on the same food for 4 days.  So far she's only done veggies but has loved them all- carrots, green beans, squash, sweet potatoes and peas.  We give her half the container each night.  She would probably eat more if I offered it to her but I want her to take her full bottle at bedtime. She drinks 32 oz of formula a day.

We'll probably start fruits next week. I do all Gerber organic baby food. 

Carly Ann 11/30/12 (5 weeks early)
  • ta78ta78
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 25 Love Its
    I think we will start solids soon. DD is only about 4.5 months, but she has been soo hungry all the time and starting to be interested in our food. She has also had terrible reflux since she was born and I am hoping solids will help control it.

Quinton  06.25.10
    Wren  01.13.11

photo qw_zpsd8c3bb1b.jpg

.blog.
  • Well, actually I was a "good girl" and I started at 6 months with banana. I first find it hard to tell which solids were recommended for her and which to avoid, but I found this website http://goodmomming.com/ and it kind of solved my problem. You could use it for your baby. 

• image kielpinskim:
    DD was ready for purees at 4 mos and I'm sure that DS will be too. We waited 3 days between new foods (DH is a pedi and an allergist, so I go with what he says). All this hype about waiting until 6mos is beyond me. If your kid is trying to eat, feed him! Also, the best window of time to introduce foods for the least chance of food allergies is 4-6 mos. Keep shoveling that food in!

I saw the AAP just changed their recommendation to 6 months to decrease the chance of food allergies as compared to starting earlier. 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.