Babies: 3 - 6 Months

eating

DS is about 4 1/2 months... I just feel like he doesn't eat enough, though he is definitely gaining the weight he needs. He's consistently been 85% for both weight and length... he's 15 1/2 lbs. But my letdown is SO SLOW and he doesn't nurse nearly as long as he used to... I can tell he doesn't get tons of milk per gulp from me... even when I occasionally feed him from a bottle I can tell he gets tons more from the newborn flow nipple than he does from BF from me... And when I do occasionally give him a bottle he only drinks 2-3 oz at a time even though he's close to 5 months old... and since he doesn't nurse as frequently as he used to it just worries me. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: eating

• My DS is formula fed and only eats 4oz per feeding still. He too is in the 85th-90th percentile. He just prefers more frequent meals. No harm in that.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemilkergirl1:
    I would get access to a scale and do a feed and weigh to see how much he actually eats.  Our pedi was concerned that BF for 10 minutes wasn't enough, but DS was eating 3 oz in 10 minutes.  2-3 oz sounds ok because from 1-6 months, a baby eats 19-30 oz a day, so with eight 3 oz feedings, that's 24 oz, right in the middle.  But as long as he's gaining weight and you're seeing enough wet diapers, you shouldn't be worrying.    

This.

• Loading the player...
  • Babies can become more effective at the breast and nurse less while still getting what they need. Like pp said, if you're getting enough wet/dirty diapers and baby is content after feedings then there is no need to worry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"