Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Hematoma?

DD had her 2 month appointment today and what I thought was an extension of the baby acne with a particularly big red zit onto her earlobe is actually a little hematoma.  It looks like a red ear piercing.  Anyone's LOs have a hematoma?  Our pedi said it would resolve by the time she was 3 (!!) and it may get bigger.  She didn't really offer a reason as to why she had it though.

Re: Hematoma?

• My LO has a sweet little one on her hand. I tell people it's where the angels kissed her before she was born.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Our LO has a quartersized red mark that we thought was a birthmark on her outer thigh. It is not raised yet. Her pedi told us it is probably a hemangioma and it will get bigger and likely go away by the time she is 1.
    imageimage
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• This actually sounds like a hemangioma.  DS has 4 of them.  Our pedi was concerned about the one behind his ear because it could grow and cause breathing problems, so we were sent to a pediatric dermatologist.  She is an expert in the Seattle area and said it was not harmful, only a cosmetic issue.  The red ones are often referred to as strawberries and will get bigger and then eventually go away.  There are also ones under the skin that are a lump and turn purple.  Those can leave a fatty lump when they go away in a few years.  DS has a combo of these two.  She prescribed a beta blocker topical medicine that we put on his skin twice a day.  If a child has 5 or more, they do an ultrasound to make sure they're not internal, in which they would do an internal beta blocker prescription.  But they're not harmful unless they grow in a bad spot and obstruct breathing and will eventually go away.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemangioma

image                              image                                  

September PAL Siggy Challenge;

Favorite funny men 

• lkm2006lkm2006
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Love Its
    DS2 has two. One, a little smaller than a quarter, on his shoulder. And one, about the size of a dime, on his side.

The started growing very quickly [around 2 weeks] but quit growing just as quickly. They haven't grown since he was probably about 5 or 6 weeks and he is 11 weeks now.

Doctor said they can usually grow up to a year and then they turn a skin color and will just go away slowly.. Usually by the age of two.

• image milkergirl1:

This actually sounds like a hemangioma.  DS has 4 of them.  Our pedi was concerned about the one behind his ear because it could grow and cause breathing problems, so we were sent to a pediatric dermatologist.  She is an expert in the Seattle area and said it was not harmful, only a cosmetic issue.  The red ones are often referred to as strawberries and will get bigger and then eventually go away.  There are also ones under the skin that are a lump and turn purple.  Those can leave a fatty lump when they go away in a few years.  DS has a combo of these two.  She prescribed a beta blocker topical medicine that we put on his skin twice a day.  If a child has 5 or more, they do an ultrasound to make sure they're not internal, in which they would do an internal beta blocker prescription.  But they're not harmful unless they grow in a bad spot and obstruct breathing and will eventually go away.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemangioma 

Thank you!  I think this is exactly what it is.  I should have written it down at my appointment, I knew it started with an "H"!  The wikipedia link you gave was interesting, it talked about increased estrogen being a possible cause.  DD's showed up around the time her acne flared, which is supposedly due to increased hormones in her system.  Maybe they are related?  Thanks again for the info. 

• snok83snok83
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Love Its
    My daughter has one on her back.  At first, I just thought it was a cut because it was small and red.  Since then, it has gotten a little bigger and became more raised.  They don't really treat them unless they are in an area that would be a problem such around eyes, etc.   Apparently as others have said they just grow out of it.   We will see!
  • Hematoma? or hemangioma??
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • DD1 had quite a few hemangiomas.  She has one dot on the side of her face, down towards her chin, and a couple on her lower back that are smaller but raised and a pretty big one on her right thigh.  It was pretty raised, but at 5, it has not gone away but has gotten flat and is starting to break up a little, becoming more flesh colored.  I always thought it would be gone by now (doc always said by 3yrs old) but it's still hanging around.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards