Crafty Moms

A few Etsy questions

I am a stay at home mom, and I'd like to start making things to sell on Etsy, but I don't know what kinds of things are overdone, boring, or just plain non-sellable. I have a sewing machine, and I guess my craft "expertise" is in sewing (hand and machine). I cannot knit, and I have tried to pick it up, but I just don't get it. I do have those hat looms, and got pretty good at those, but I don't think anyone wants anything like that haha...

Also, if you sell (or have tried to sell) things on Etsy, have you gotten a good turn over (meaning, do you think it was worth it to sell on Etsy for what you paid to make the things)? 

Any ideas would be great! I don't think this goes against TOS....

BFP: February 12 2012
Joseph Scott born October 8
7lb 12oz 20.5"
TTC #2 Since February 2013

Re: A few Etsy questions

• My advice would be to look at what you do and then search for it on etsy. If there are already a lot of sellers it may be tough. Also look at how much they charge and see if you could do it for that price including time and supplies.

I've had a few friends try to sell stuff and they had better luck on fb through word of mouth. Good luck!
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• What do you do well? I wouldn't go by popularity, but what your talents are in. If you make a good product and sell it at a reasonable price, you will get customers. You can always promote on Etsy and do other things to get yourself established. I'm sure, like everything else, it'll be slower in the beginning until you build a reputation.

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• km_mdkm_md
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fifth Anniversary
    I think that you got some great advice from PPs. I would just like to add that DH's cousins wife sells jewelry, and she decided against Etsy because they charge you a fee for each item you have listed every month (until it sells). Etsy is obviously a more popular site and you would get more initial traffic that way, but if you don't want to pay a fee, there may be other sites for you, you would just have to find ways to get the word out yourself. 
    Married my own Prince at Walt Disney World Resort on September 9th, 2010 
    BFP#1 - 25/Aug/12 - EDD 2/May/13 - M/C - 08/Sept/12 - 6w2d - Never in my arms, forever in my heart <3
    BFP#2 - 13/May/13 - EDD 25/Jan/14 - Evelyn born January 27th 2014 

My Blog

<3 All AL Always Welcome <3
    Congratulations to all of my TTCAL Treehouse friends on their BFPs and Rainbow Babies!!
  • StefB28StefB28
    2500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Love Its Name Dropper

image km_md:
    I think that you got some great advice from PPs. I would just like to add that DH's cousins wife sells jewelry, and she decided against Etsy because they charge you a fee for each item you have listed every month (until it sells). Etsy is obviously a more popular site and you would get more initial traffic that way, but if you don't want to pay a fee, there may be other sites for you, you would just have to find ways to get the word out yourself. 

This is not exactly accurate-- Etsy charges you .20 per listing, which last 4 months before it expires. If it sells, you renew the listing for an additional .20!  Big Smile

• Don't rely only on Etsy. I like having it as somewhere people can go online (like an anchor point,) but most of my sales are in person or word of mouth.