You're almost there. Log in if you're a member or join now to connect to Facebook.
Request a new password
popular: ovulation calculator
Find your most fertile days and start TTC >>
moms love: pregnancy calendar
Count down to delivery with your calendar >>
moms love: your baby this week
Sign up to receive weekly updates on your baby >>
moms love: baby name finder
Search through 1000s of baby names >>
moms love: personalized tickers
Track TTC, pregnancy, or baby's age >>
moms love: pregnancy week by week
Let us guide you along week-by-week!)
Yes, but only after baby measured 12lb 13oz at 38.5 weeks. My midwife basically refused to deliver such a large baby and we were forced to speak with the OBs at the practice. We had no relationship with them, but they discussed our options. There are real risks with delivering large babies, so we decided to schedule a c-section, rather than risk the complications or an emergency c-section. E was born 11lb 4oz.
People have different opinions on this, some say it is not a good reason to have a c-section. I disagree, but we made our own decision after doing the research and understanding the risks and complications with both options. FWIW, I had a very easy c-section, easy recovery and there were no problems breastfeeding.
I had one due to size of baby. I had been measuring anywhere from 4-6 weeks ahead my entire pregnancy. We never did an u/s to measure his weight because that late in the pregnancy, it's hard to get a good measurement. My OB was predicting DS would be around 9lbs and said I could try to deliver vaginally (which she wanted, she wanted to avoid a c/s) but that everything would have to be almost perfect. DS's head ended up being too big and got stuck. He came out at 7lbs 15oz, but I had a lot of fluid that was making it seem like he was bigger.
I was induced and had my c/s at 39 weeks. Mine was pretty easy too, no complications and my recovery wasn't that bad.
TTC #1 since 3/2011
DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
DH is a testicular cancer survivor
IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
Baby Boy EDD 3/7/2013
Hudson James born 3/1/2013 7lbs 15oz 21in long
TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal
IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.
FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216 Beta #2: 823
I also had a c-section due to a big baby. I was diagnosed with gestation diabetes so they monitored the size very closely. I was told they would not let me go too far past my due date. Two weeks before my due date they estimated baby to be 7 lbs 4 oz. The day before my due date they estimated baby to be 8 lbs. 7 oz, however the tech thought he would be smaller due to previous scans. We spoke with the dr and were given the option of an induction or a c-section. After hearing the risk factors if baby boy were to get stuck (and being gestational the chest/shoulders are generally where they gain their weight) we decided on a c-section. Besides 1 in 4 inductions end in a c-section.
We were very happy with our decision. Our concern was to have a healthy baby and so we decided that a c-section would give us the best chance at our wish.
When DS was delivered 1 day past his due date he was 8 lbs 15.9 ounces with a 14.5 inch head and chest. I was relieved we chose a c-section.
andertrr:At 35 wk my baby was an estimated 8lbs 7 oz. And there was never any talk of a c section. It wasn't until I labored for36 hours then never progressed that a c section was discussed. The only way to know if your body is anatomically unable to push out a big baby is by monitoring your labor pattern. No one can force you to have a c section unless its strongly suggested due to a medical condition ...either you or baby.
A c section is no walk in the park for some people!!
I had one due to my baby measurig big also. He was 8#7, my first was 8#15, and I delivered him vaginally, but he was a shoulder dystocia (head delivered, shoulders got stuck). On ultrasound DS#2 was measuing well over 10#, I had GD, so my doctor was worried about the shoulders again.
I'm sure I could have delivered him vaginally, he was long and skinny, my 1st was short and chubby, but I do not regret my decision to have a c-section one bit. I would rather have it be slightly unneccessary than to have had him have problems. I made the decision based on the knowledge we had at the time. He was measuring so big because of his length. His arms and legs were so long it was altering the weight measurement on the sono.
GL momma! I had a very easy recovery. I'm 8 weeks out now and feel like I never had surgery.
DS measured big from 10 weeks on, so I had a couple of extra growth
ultrasounds. At 33w6d, DS's estimated weight via ultrasound was 6 lb. 14
oz. At 38w4d it was 9 lb. 15 oz. I met with my OB after that
ultrasound. She told me that I could wait for labor (my body didn't
show any signs) to start or I could schedule the c-section. She
wouldn't induce because the abdomen was measuring bigger than the head,
and she was afraid that LO would get stuck. She was willing to let me
go into labor on my own because she thought that I would have a better
chance of delivering vaginally if my body prepared itself. I had to be
at least 39 weeks to have a c-section. Based on my OB's schedule, I
could have picked 39w2d (Monday), 39w6d (Friday), or a couple of days
the following week. I decided to pick the earlier date. I had no
interest in setting any weight records at the hospital. DS was 10 lb 6
oz and 22" when he was born, so the ultrasounds were very accurate in my
Although I scheduled the c-section at my 38w4d appointment, I did ask
my family practitioner (who accepted obstetrics patients until last
year) what she would do in my situation. She said that she would
probably opt for the c-section, especially if I didn't go into labor by
40 weeks. In her words, "An induction with no engagement, no dilation
and a big baby is very likely to wind up in a C-section. It is no fun
to spend a long time laboring only to end up with a C-section any way."My
OB said that I was the first patient she had ever encouraged to have a
c-section due to the size of the baby. I don't regret having the
c-section. I had a fairly easy recovery.
My c/s baby was big but the reason for the c/s wasn't because of his size (he was 10 lb, 2 oz at birth). The reason for the c/s was that his cord was stuck under his head.
Had that not been the case, they told me that they wouldn't have had an issue with me attempting a vaginal birth. I'm really thin (but tall). The doctors and midwives stated that they had no reason to believe he wouldn't have come out. My second baby was 8 lb 5 oz and came out without an issue. Though I don't consider a baby under 10 lbs to be large. I believe medically, they are not considered large newborns until they are 9 lbs, 12 oz or something in that range anyway.