February 2013 Moms

Random things that calm my children...

Please share the unexpected and/or bizarre things that calm your children when they are fussy or upset.
Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."
imageimage
Good god, Mr. Tomlinson, are you QUITE finished?
"Does the little one with the cheekbones know that the prince is in love with him?"

Jack 04/29/10 dairy, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

Re: Random things that calm my children...

• sefferjsefferj
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    The vent fan above the stove! Also, I just downloaded this app called the baby soother and it has sounds like the blow dryer, washing machine, ocean ,etc. Its a lifesaver when were out and about and he decides to have a meltdown.
  • She will be crying hysterically and as soon as you walk outside she is quiet and calm!  Too bad it's going to rain all week... What will we do?
  • Both mine hush if I whistle...not a tune (I can't!), just loud random whistling.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • His A and A blankets. Only the A and A ones. None of the others are good enough.

Also giving him a shower. He LOVES the shower. It was so hot today that I stood in the sprinkler with him and he loved it.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• "Do It Anyway" by Ben Folds Five. I was watching the video for it the first time I unmistakably felt DD move when I was pregnant, and every time I played it after that, she'd have a little dance party in my belly. Now it instantly calms her down if she's crying!!

• image sefferj:
    The vent fan above the stove! Also, I just downloaded this app called the baby soother and it has sounds like the blow dryer, washing machine, ocean ,etc. Its a lifesaver when were out and about and he decides to have a meltdown.

What is this app called? I'd love one like this!!!
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I visited a friend today that has a blue and gold macaw. Colton cried, Sunshine shrieked, and it became this lovely game where Colton would squeal, Sunshine would shriek back, Colton would giggle, Sunshine would start spouting gibberish phrases (favorites include "tut tut looks like rain" "Oh, you old chickenhead bok bok" and "What's that smell? Brenda!") , wash rinse repeat.

Needless to say I have an AWESOME headache, and my sides hurt from laughing at them.
    Pregnancy Ticker image
  • You all are going to laugh at me but my husband makes fart sounds to make my son stop crying. I have no idea why it works, but it does.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • thejackthejack
    250 Answers 500 Love Its 500 Comments Second Anniversary
    Bruno Mars "when I was your man"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image schwabmomma:
    You all are going to laugh at me but my husband makes fart sounds to make my son stop crying. I have no idea why it works, but it does.

That's okay, Colton's first real laugh was a result of my mom farting. I will never let her live it down :D

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Hugh Grant's voice works for both of them.  The second I turn on Mickey Blue Eyes or Four Weddings and a Funeral, either one of them will settle.

Also, One Direction music.  My H thought I was crazy but one day we were all in the van and both kids were flipping out.  I turned on 1D and instantly both kids were silent.  Then we heard Jack whisper, "It's a Hawwy song."  (Harry song, meaning Harry Styles).

Also, Elton John. No idea why.  Both my kids love Elton John music. 

Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."
    imageimage
    Good god, Mr. Tomlinson, are you QUITE finished?
    "Does the little one with the cheekbones know that the prince is in love with him?"

Jack 04/29/10 dairy, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

• Robert Irvine (Food Network Restaurant Impossible) - Simon thinks he's friggin hilarious. James - burying his whole head in blankets - scares the living hell out of me (so I don't let him have any at all unless I'm right there holding him).
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• The cuckoo clock in our kitchen.  He can be fussing up a storm and all I have to do is go stand under it and he'll stare at the pendulum completely entranced.

• Michael Strahan is a given every time, the Kardashian's whom also calm my dog down and episodes of Glee. If I start signing though, it's back to crying. The bathtub also calms him down in a nano second.
  • Believe it or not hissing works the best, a cat hissed on tv and she giggled we tried it and she loves it. If that doesn't work I pass her to DH and then tickle him (hes SUPER ticklish) and she instantly stops and starts laughing.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Just walking outside into a different environment typically works for Ash.. If that's not enough, we smell the flowers. When we get desperate, I put on the Irish music, and we dance a little jig, which usually gets her happy or sleeping.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Walking around outside does it for DS. He stops crying immediately. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • sefferjsefferj

image TamaraR4:
    image sefferj:
    What is this app called? I'd love one like this!!!

I have an android phone, so if you have an iPhone I'm not sure if the app is the same. The one I have is simply called "baby soother." If you have an iPhone though just search baby soothing sounds. My MIL found some similar apps on her iPhone.  

• sefferjsefferj

image jkuhmann:
    The cuckoo clock in our kitchen.  He can be fussing up a storm and all I have to do is go stand under it and he'll stare at the pendulum completely entranced.

How funny, my son does this at my parents house with their clock. Whenever he starts fussing, everyone just says "go to the clock"!  

• I have an Android, as well. We use an app called Sleep Baby. My husband also has it on his iPad. Our son almost always quickly quiets for the faucet running. Sleep Baby has a sound called 'electric fan' that imitates the sound perfectly. Like stayed previously, it's an amazing help in public!

• Dh dancing with her to 80s rock, music in general, outside time, boobs .....
    TTC #1 since March 2010

4/12- DH's SA- normal
    4/12- HSG- all clear
    4/12- 7DPO 19.7
    5/12- CD3 B/W- all clear

My Ovulation Chart

Surprise BFP: 6/2/12

• Drea926Drea926
    2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    Rory loves getting his feet rubbed! I give him a little massage every night as part of his bedtime routine. If he starts to fuss the feet are like an off switch!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• T calms when we sing "Bohemian Rhapsody" no idea why but MH started it. She also likes to be bounced on the yoga ball. Or flown around the house while you make rocket noises. I say whatever works because when she gets going she can really scream.
  • MBush4MBush4
    500 Comments 100 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Atticus loves music in general, but what makes him particularly calm is Julie Andrews and Bob Marley. I mean, I don't blame him, but he is particular to those two...

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Dd loves weezer and mgmt music. And Ds cracks up to little Bunny for for, but I haveto do the hand movements.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c Harrison 2/6/12 @ 14weeks
  • 2moms2b2moms2b
    1000 Comments First Anniversary 5 Love Its

Any music or us singing anything.  One night I sang Jacob's name over and over spelling it and just singing it.  Also HGTV.  For some reason the boys giggle when they go through houses. 

If they are having epic meltdowns, a quick walk onto the back porch works wonders.  I don't know if it is change of scenery but going outside is like an off switch. 

M & M
    06/12 - BFP!!!!
    Beta #1 15dpo - 256
    Beta #2 18dpo - 1097
    6wk U/S on 07/02 ~ TWINS!!!
    EDD 02/21/13
    09/10/12 Found out it's two Boys!!!! Sam and Jake
    Jacob and Samuel born 1/29/13 at 36 weeks. photo F489900B-BB44-4C44-ACD1-ABB73509E3B2-9032-000005E7AE7EF53E.jpg Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • For DS it was ALWAYS Norah Jones. I played while I was pregnant, and even at 2 it will stop his crying immediately.

For DD, it's veggie tales, particularly Silly Songs with Larry. She coos all the way through the songs.

Eleanor- 1.5 Years (Jan 2013)
    Nathan- 3.5 Years (April 2011)
  • image kdanis80:
    She will be crying hysterically and as soon as you walk outside she is quiet and calm!  Too bad it's going to rain all week... What will we do?

THIS TOO! With both my kids.

Wisconsin winter was pretty hard on us.

Eleanor- 1.5 Years (Jan 2013)
    Nathan- 3.5 Years (April 2011)
  • image MBush4:
    Atticus loves music in general, but what makes him particularly calm is Julie Andrews and Bob Marley. I mean, I don't blame him, but he is particular to those two...

Hey, at least he's well-rounded!! :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards