Cloth Diapering

Considering cloth diapering

I didn't cd with my son but we are thinking about it for several reasons this pregnancy.
I have a few questions for you experienced cloth diaper mommies though and any help would be appreciated!
1. How many would you recommend having for a weeks time?
2. How long do they last? If I plan on using them for a year would I have to throw them away and replace my stash?
3. What is your favorite brand for day time/ sleeping time?
4. Do you have a special "pail" for dirties? What kind?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Considering cloth diapering

• image Konnersmomma:
    I didn't cd with my son but we are thinking about it for several reasons this pregnancy.
    I have a few questions for you experienced cloth diaper mommies though and any help would be appreciated!
    1. How many would you recommend having for a weeks time?
    2. How long do they last? If I plan on using them for a year would I have to throw them away and replace my stash?
    3. What is your favorite brand for day time/ sleeping time?
    4. Do you have a special "pail" for dirties? What kind?

Thanks in advance!

Check out FAQ's for a bunch of help but to answer you q's...

1. We have 24 diapers which at 4 months is a 3 day supply. I never go more than 2 days between washings because they start to seem more difficult to get clean after that. We did not CD during the newborm dtage so I am not sure about how many you need there. We started once DS fit into one size.

2. We line dry cover, pockets and AIO's and I expect them to last through 2 kiddos so about 4 years total. May have to replace elastic but I don't expect to replace the whole diaper.

3. Love my Bumgenius 4.0 and freetimes for daytime because DS has chunky thighs. We use a sbish fitted and sweet pea cover at night. Be aware that stocking up on one brand before knowing what works for your baby is not recommended.

4. We just use a pail liner in an open trash can with no stink problems. It smells for about an hour after a new poopy is added but the airflow makes that go away quickly.

HTH

imageimageimageimage
  • image Konnersmomma:
    I didn't cd with my son but we are thinking about it for several reasons this pregnancy. I have a few questions for you experienced cloth diaper mommies though and any help would be appreciated! 1. How many would you recommend having for a weeks time? 2. How long do they last? If I plan on using them for a year would I have to throw them away and replace my stash? 3. What is your favorite brand for day time/ sleeping time? 4. Do you have a special "pail" for dirties? What kind? Thanks in advance!

1. Newborn stage you will need at least 24 diapers to wash every other day. As they get older you will need less. A lot of people just use disposables during newborn stage.

2. From what I hear they can last awhile. It depends on the size of your rotation. If you have a lot of diapers then they wont get used as frequently. Also depends on the brand of diaper. You definitely shouldn't have to throw away after a year.

3. We love our prefolds and covers. Also Alva and sunbaby are good cheaper brands. Looking forward to trying kawaii sometime soon! So far our sunbabys work better at night than our alva's.

4. We just bought a 13gal garbage pail from target. The planetwise diaper pail liners fit great in it. plus much cheaper than spending $20 on the same thing!

I would check out the FAQ and cloth diaper 101 on youtube. Plus if you google. how to cloth diaper tons of stuff comes up!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image Konnersmomma:

1. How many would you recommend having for a weeks time? We have a stash of about 40ish diapers. When I started out I had about 20, this was just enough to wash every day and a half. I recommend at least 24 diapers.

2. How long do they last? If I plan on using them for a year would I have to throw them away and replace my stash? I have diapers that are over 2 years old and going strong. My dd is currently potty training, and all of her diapers can be used for another baby.

3. What is your favorite brand for day time/ sleeping time?My favourite for daytime is a BG 4.0 stuffed with either the MF inserts or a prefold. For nighttime I prefer a fitted diaper with a wool cover. I like Sustainablebabyish OBF's for nighttime.

4. Do you have a special "pail" for dirties? What kind? Thanks in advance! I store all of our dirty diapers in planetwise wet/dry bag. It gets hung on the back of dd's door.

Our answered prayer, Emilie Helen

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, Provera+FSH+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    My Blog
    My Chart

• I am also planning to cloth diaper but am new to it and don't know anyone else who does. A great tip that someone here gave me was to check out YouTube videos on cloth diapering, I found some very informative ones and it really helped me understand a lot of the different options as well as the pros and cons of each.
  • Thanks for all of your input!
  • 1. How many would you recommend having for a weeks time? For a nb, I started out with 24 prefolds and 4 Thirsties covers. This meant washing every other day. Now, at nearly 9 months, I'm still happy with that number, and I can get away with washing less frequently, but choose not to. I would not recommend going longer than 2-3 days between washes; you run the risk of yeast/bacteria growth. And if you're bothered by stains, they'll be harder to get out the longer they sit there. Not only that but...STANK.

2. How long do they last? All of my prefolds are doing fine so far! I skipped the nb size (bad idea for me), and she wore them for 4 months; they look almost new. I expect her other prefolds to hold up just as well. Now, her fitteds, I'm sure will break down more quickly, but they're holding up well, too. Her covers, meh. The elastic is shot in her first four, but they can be easily replaced. I decided to up the number of covers in rotation to 8 when she outgrew her Thirsties, and they're holding much better now.

If I plan on using them for a year would I have to throw them away and replace my stash? You shouldn't!

3. What is your favorite brand for day time/ sleeping time? So far, my favorite diapers have been my Cottonbabies prefolds. I have far fewer messes, they're cheap, and they're pretty thirsty (I have a heavy wetter). I recently tried the GMD Workhorse, and I really like those, too! I use Bububibi covers during the day, and a wool cover over night, plus a hemp fleece or a bamboo velour soaker.

4. Do you have a special "pail" for dirties? What kind? I use a smallish trash can with a lid that opens when you press a latch in the front. It's lined with a Kissaluv's pail liner. I have two of these liners, that way, when I wash a load of diapers, I throw the dirty liner in with them, and I have a clean one to use right away. When I'm out and about, I have a medium size Planetwise wetbag.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. How many would you recommend having for a weeks time? We wash every other day, so I think we have ~ 36-40 changes in newborn/small pockets and fitteds and probably the same in larger prefolds/pockets.
    2. How long do they last? If I plan on using them for a year would I have to throw them away and replace my stash?  I bought all of my larger pockets gently used, and I'm expecting them to last through PT for our 3 month old.  
    3. What is your favorite brand for day time/ sleeping time? My favorites are fitteds.  I have a bunch a friend made that are small/med sized that I like for daytime and twinkie tush are my favs for night time. 
    4. Do you have a special "pail" for dirties? What kind? Ditto TexasMom7137 on a tall kitchen garbage can with a pail liner, no lid. I tried using the lid at first but it stinks less with the lid off.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards