April 2013 Moms

Nursing advice?

I posted on the BF board yesterday and got zero response. Any thoughts you all have would be much appreciated... even just commiseration.

My 7 week old boy has had nursing problems from almost the start. He latched well for a day an a half and after that it was very hard. Eventually the nurses gave me a nipple shield and we never have been able to wean from it. Maybe once a week he will go a minute or two without it.

Now even with the shield he is in latching and screaming nearly every time I try. I have been pumping a lot instead because it is just too stressful for both of us to go through the fight when he takes a bottle perfectly fine.

Now I am trying to nurse at least once a day to make sure he doesn't forget, see if we can remove the shield, etc. However his thrashing and screaming make it seem pointless. Is it time to give up and just EP, or do I need to try a lot harder and do something new to get him BF better?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nursing advice?

• none5none5 member
    Unfortunately I don't have any advice, but I wanted to respond to tell you good luck! I hope someone out there can help, and I hope it all works out! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Maybe he has gotten used to the faster flow of the bottle and is getting frustrated at the breast because it isn't coming fast enough? That's the only thing I can think of... Do you feed him bottles sitting up with a really slow flow nipple so he still has to work for it?

Sorry you are struggling, hang in there!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Breastfeeding can be such a guessing game, im right there with you, it can be very frustrating. Hang in there, you are doing a great job. Is it possible that you have a forceful letdown? I struggled with this and as soon as I felt letdown a I would remove her and let the milk squirt out in a towel or something and once the flow slowed down I would have her latch back on.
  • He may have gotten used to the ease of getting milk out of the bottle vs the boob (which is more difficult and slower). If you want to, you can try switching to bottles that mimic the breast (there are several on the market now... lansinoh mOmma, tommie tippee, the new avent bottles, etc).

If you're not already doing so, you can try squeezing out a little milk onto your nipple (or on the end of the shield) so that he gets a little taste of it. It might help with the trashing. Or start the feed with a bottle (to take the edge off his hunger) and switch to the breast mid-feed.

Have you worked with a LC at all? Or attended any LLL meetings? I know a LC helped me immensely with DD1. 

But really its up to you how hard you try to keep trying the breast. I personally find at-breast feeding to be more enjoyable, but if you're having so much difficulty maybe EPing is right for you. If its worth it to you to keep trying, then keep trying. Don't stress or feel any guilt over EPing if that's what is right for you and your LO!

• He drinks bottles sitting up and we use dr brown wide neck bottles with the level 1 nipple. I don't think I have a forceful letdown, but I could try that!

• Have you seen a LC? That would be my main suggestion. I saw 3 before finding one who really understood our issues and set out a game plan to help me.

• Thanks for the replies!

I will try another type of bottle and see what that does. I have worked with one LC and her suggestions didn't work. I will call the other one in town and see if she can help! Unfortunately we don't have LLL in our town.

I probably forgot to mention that the nipple shield really irritates my nipples. I need to try a different one if we have to keep using it.

• Our daughter is an excited eater too so when we nurse we have to swaddle her very tightly so she doesn't start thrashing around
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"