Stay at Home Moms

Cartoons & Kid shows

I'm sure this is silly, but are there certain cartoons or kids shows that you just can't get behind? Ones that you just don't allow? 

Forever blessed through adoption! 7-17-11

Re: Cartoons & Kid shows

• Sponge Bob. Phineas and Ferb. Superhero cartoons. Old ones like Loony Toons and Tom and Jerry.

• My oldest is only almost 4 so there are very few that we DO allow her to watch. The "not allowedd to watch" list is really long.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • KateMWKateMW
    25000 Comments 250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its
    We don't allow Sponge Bob, Kick Buttowski and a couple of more...she doesn't really watch them anymore anyway. I love Phineas and Ferb, Hizzo!! Why don't you like them?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Spongebob, Henry Hugglemonster, Anything violent..
  • image KateMW:
    We don't allow Sponge Bob, Kick Buttowski and a couple of more...she doesn't really watch them anymore anyway. I love Phineas and Ferb, Hizzo!! Why don't you like them?

I guess I should sit down and watch an entire episode, but when I've heard snippets of it, I don't like the way the characters talk to each other. I think mostly the sister? It's probably fine for older kids, but at 4 and 5 mine imitate everything.

• image Mrs.Hizzo:
    Sponge Bob. Phineas and Ferb. Superhero cartoons. Old ones like Loony Toons and Tom and Jerry.

You don't allow the old ones, Tom & Jerry?  Is it because of the "violence" in them? 

• DD usually watches prerecorded shows so those are the ones she usually watches when she does, but she does watch cartoons on Disney occasionally.  Sponge Bob, Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, basically any of the cartoons that come on around noon and after during the week on the Disney channel are not watched.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • joirishjoirish
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper

DS just started to be into Phineas and Ferb because it came on after the more toddler appropriate ones on  Disney Junior.  I don't really mind it.  It's not educational like most of the shows he watches, but it's mildly entertaining.

I don't outright forbid anything, but I definitely try to avoid the ones that really annoy me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image Hav=Fath:

image Mrs.Hizzo:
    Sponge Bob. Phineas and Ferb. Superhero cartoons. Old ones like Loony Toons and Tom and Jerry.

You don't allow the old ones, Tom & Jerry?  Is it because of the "violence" in them? 

I just think they have zero redeeming value. There's so much quality children's programming to choose from these days, if you're going to let them watch TV. Why pick a show where the characters run around dropping boulders on each other and blowing themselves up with TNT when you have access to PBS Kids?

• image Hav=Fath:

image Mrs.Hizzo:

I cannot stand Tom and Jerry and Looney Toons.  My daughter watches T&J and loves it, I could care less if she watches. But ugh. I think they're dreadful.  I prefer the older cartoons like Flintstones, Jetsons, etc.

• CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    I LURVE Phineas and Ferb! My kids are really into Team Umizoomi and Super Why, which I don't mind as much as I thought I would. They also like Johnny Test and that one is kind of on the border for me. The show that will never be on in our house is Sponge Bob. Never ever will my kids watch that crap.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • KateMWKateMW

image CnAmom:
    The show that will never be on in our house is Sponge Bob. Never ever will my kids watch that crap.

Yeah, the fact that all the potheads I knew in college watched it, pretty much made my mind up back then that my child would never watch it.

• image ThePolishHammer:
    Spongebob, Henry Hugglemonster, Anything violent..

Why not this one? We don't get Disney but DS watched this at my parents' house last weekend. I wasn't paying attention to it so what did I expose him to that I shouldn't have? lol 

• MooOinkMooOink
    100 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    Max and Ruby because I don't know what it's teaching kids other than being rude to your younger brother.
  • AA0417AA0417
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Love Its
    I don't know many cartoons yet, but Sponge Bob is horrible. How is that even so popular?
  • dhvieldhviel
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its First Answer
    We don't watch much here. She doesn't even know what cartoons are because the TV is down stairs and we are rarely down there. Occassionaly we will watch the retro chanel, so loony toons stuff, and in a hotel or at my in laws the TV is on more so she watches stuff there, but really nothing at home. We do Mickey mouse epispodes on DVD and strawberry shortcake on youtube. Those are pretty much it.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Sponge Bob -DD refered to it as "bad show" from age 2-4.  If it came on, she would start screaming - Bad show mommy!  Bad show!" 

Otherwise, we don't let them watch Nickelodeon any more, because there are too many advertisements.  No Fish Hooks or Gravity Falls on Disney channel either, because they are mindless entertainement, oh, and and no Cartoon Network.   Basically, we stick to PBS and Disney channel.

imageimage
  • image Mrs.Hizzo:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Sponge bob again, anything here's toward "older" kids such as phineas and ferb, chugginton just because it is so overly annoying. We try to stick to PBS and Disney. I don't think he's ever watched nick jr. I think he has enough choices. 
    Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13
  • image Mrs.Hizzo:

All of these and if DD1 hears the word stupid on any shows she requests that we change the channel. She claims that it is forever a bad show, LOL.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    image KateMW:

image CnAmom:
    The show that will never be on in our house is Sponge Bob. Never ever will my kids watch that crap.

Yeah, the fact that all the potheads I knew in college watched it, pretty much made my mind up back then that my child would never watch it.

Yeah, I kind of have a rule that if a pothead thinks it's a good idea, it's probably a really bad idea.

Edit: LOFL pothead autocorrected to pigheaded.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • There are lots we don't allow simply because they aren't age appropriate for a 3 year old. The big one is SpongeBob SquarePants. Also Scooby Doo, Dora, Diego.

He's pretty much allowed PBS shows, a few Disney shows and Leapfrog videos. He's 3, he doesn't need a huge tv arsenal.

• image QueSyrah:

There are lots we don't allow simply because they aren't age appropriate for a 3 year old. The big one is SpongeBob SquarePants. Also Scooby Doo, Dora, Diego.

He's pretty much allowed PBS shows, a few Disney shows and Leapfrog videos. He's 3, he doesn't need a huge tv arsenal.

Dora? Please explain 

• KateMWKateMW
    image CnAmom:
    image KateMW:

image CnAmom:

Yeah, I kind of have a rule that if a pothead thinks it's a good idea, it's probably a really bad idea.

Edit: LOFL pothead autocorrected to pigheaded.

Yep, like chicken and waffle ruffles, doritos tacos, Sponge Bob...the list goes on. 

• image QueSyrah:
    There are lots we don't allow simply because they aren't age appropriate for a 3 year old. The big one is SpongeBob SquarePants. Also Scooby Doo, Dora, Diego.He's pretty much allowed PBS shows, a few Disney shows and Leapfrog videos. He's 3, he doesn't need a huge tv arsenal.

What's wrong with Dora and Diego?
  • Re: Dora and Diego: I just don't like them and I find them incredibly annoying. If he can watch something with better content and more educational then I'd prefer that (PBS or Leapfrog) and he has his Disney shows for pure entertainment value.

• Pretty much all of them! Not just bc I think some are inappropriate for their ages or bc of violence, but bc they are just annoying.

My kids watch Dinosaur Train, which is actually pretty nice, Kipper, Pingu and Claude. All on Netflix streaming!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• It's not so much that there's shows I don't allow so much as there's only a few shows I do allow, if that makes sense. Dd1 doesn't watch a ton and dd2 doesn't watch yet. I only use Netflix or stuff we own, so she watches mostly busytown, Sesame Street, super why, Angelina, etc.

E 9.08, V 8.11, #3 coming April 2014
  • trizzietrizzie
    Ninth Anniversary 250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its
    Spongebob is really the only one. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Oh geez. Y'all are crazy. Tom and Jerry, and scooby doo rock!!
    CJ :-)