Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Infant at a restaurant

What do you do with your infant at a restaurant?  DD is 2 months old and so far we have gone a couple places that we knew wouldn't be busy and had booths available so we just put her in her car seat in the booth.  We are getting a little stir crazy and want to go out to dinner but we aren't sure what to do with her if a booth isn't available.  We are not open to using the upside down wooden highchair.  Any other suggestions?

Re: Infant at a restaurant

• If she's sleeping, we leave her in the carseat and put it on the floor next to us.

Generally she wakes up because she's not moving, so I either hold her or put her in the sling.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • We put the car seat on the floor... Just make sure to ask for something out of the way or in the back. 

• We've never had a problem finding a booth. We just make sure we go at off times so they won't be busy. I'm with you...I don't like the upside down high chairs or the slings either one.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • we have a baby trend snap n go (it's like a little cart for your carseat). Back when DS was little, we'd just have the waiter remove a chair and set the stroller there. Now he's a toddler and restaurants aren't safe :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We take the whole travel system inside if we can; otherwise, we just take him in the car seat.  If you call ahead and request a booth or table towards the back, most restaurants are usually very accommodating.

• We just set the car seat on the floor beside us or I have on occasion set the seat under the table for fear of dropage or spillage. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Set the carseat on the floor. Get out while you can. Once they're mobile, going to a restaurant is nearly impossible.
                  imageimage
    Homebirthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, young mama to two beautiful babies
    and married to my best friend in the world.
    imageimage
  • lkm2006lkm2006
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Love Its
    image Angela814:
    If she's sleeping, we leave her in the carseat and put it on the floor next to us.

Generally she wakes up because she's not moving, so I either hold her or put her in the sling.

This exactly, except I usually don't bring my sling inside.

Going out to eat is a big part of our lives and it's something I refuse to give up. Of course, we aren't doing nice restaurants.. All little family restaurants. I

• erbearerbear
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 100 Love Its
    We used to just hold them and eat one handed.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • ohlordyohlordy
    250 Answers 500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Love Its

image erbear:
    We used to just hold them and eat one handed.

This, or DD is nestled into the moby wrap. She hates the carseat and will wake up if she is it in and the car isn't moving, and then will proceed to lose her shiit. The one-handed eating isn't that bad and she's in the moby, I just eat very carefully.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I agree with PP's, I wouldn't be afraid to put the carseat on the floor.

Also, I was really impressed with what Applebee's did for us on Mother's Day. They didn't have a booth available but they had a metal thing that stands on the floor with a mesh hammock that you can rest your carseat on and have LO right in your sight. I had never seen one of these before, but maybe because I am a FTM. I thought it was nice though and definitely safe!
    imageimage
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• image mrshall10210:
    I agree with PP's, I wouldn't be afraid to put the carseat on the floor. Also, I was really impressed with what Applebee's did for us on Mother's Day. They didn't have a booth available but they had a metal thing that stands on the floor with a mesh hammock that you can rest your carseat on and have LO right in your sight. I had never seen one of these before, but maybe because I am a FTM. I thought it was nice though and definitely safe!

I've noticed that more restaurants have slings now which are safer than the upside high chair.  I'd opt for that if they have them, or carseat on the floor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • image Angela814:
    If she's sleeping, we leave her in the carseat and put it on the floor next to us.

This. 

Amanda

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers