September 2013 Moms

Maternit21 Question

Would love some advice ladies. Some of you may have read my earlier posts this week about how our baby girl was almost diagnosed with an aortic interruption, but turns out she just has a cervical arch which basically means the aorta goes higher up into her neck but typically there are no life threatening symptoms. It's so rare there are maybe 20 cases recorded and because it's so rare they can't typically connect it with genetic abnormalities.

All my blood tests came out normal and clear, but we were given the option of genetic counseling and taking the non invasive Maternit21 test to rule out other genetic abnormalities. I mean it's not going to change anything for us, and we already have a lot to worry about for her heart to continue to grow normally so i worry about the likelihood of more false positives and spending the next 4 months in even more fear.

thoughts?  What would you do? I'm 31 and with no history of genetic abnormalities in my family. 

Re: Maternit21 Question

• I'm not sure what I'd do. On one hand, it could come back clear and you'd be relieved. On the other hand, something could show up and you would do a lot of worrying over it. I probably would not do more testing I think, but it's hard to say when I'm not in your position.
  • RedDDDRedDDD member
    I didn't think there were false positives with the Mat 21 type tests.  However, for me personally, I would want to be informed of anything that might be wrong ahead of time so that I could mentally prepare or medically prepare.  Sounds like in your case doing the test might just be a good way to calm some fears.  But that is just me. We did the Verify test and genetic counseling....I thought it was interesting even though we had no history that should cause us concern.  We were just offered it because we are both 35.  It was reassuring
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Personally, if it's not going to change anything for you, I wouldn't do it.

We were told a couple weeks ago that one of our girls had shorter arm and leg bones compared to her body which is a soft marker for DS.  Last week we had an amniotic fluid reduction done for TTTS and we still asked to not have an amniocentesis done.  

I know some people like to know so they can prepare, but for me, it would just be one more thing to worry about, and I have enough on my plate right now.

That's just my two cents...

~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Cleo421Cleo421 member
    I took it. It wasn't going to change anything, but we wanted to be prepared for the future.

Its not a perfect detection rate, but its pretty darn close. 99 percent for downs and T18, and 91 percent for T13.

GL with your decision.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I would do it, just to be as prepared as you can for when your baby is born.  I think it will not only give you longer time to adjust, it will give you time to have a plan in place for future services your child might need. 

I am 24 and have no history of genetic abnormalities.  My baby had severe markers for chromosome anomalies.  Luckily, every test so far has been clear. Unfortunately, chromosomal abnormalities can be a crapshoot regardless of age and family history.   

DD 9/2/13

• It could change treatment plans in the future.  For instance, if there were some reason to consider surgery or pharmaceutical treatment (IMO this is true for anything that may come up, but moreso since she does have an existing condition -- and one about which little is known), it may be helpful to know which other genetic factors may be relevant.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • I would do it. It's such an easy test.  They just take a bit of blood.  I don't see any disadvantage to taking it.  More info is always good.
  • Thank you all. Good to get some opinions. Hubby doesn't want to do it because I'm already such a worrier but I think what we'll do is wait for our 24 week echo scan and see if her heart is developing normally. If it is then we may not do it but if not then we might. Thankfully there's no time limit on taking this test vs the amnio and CVS. It's a hard decision for sure.
  • I don't know what I'd do, either. However, I had the MaterniT21 test at almost 11 weeks so I do know a little about that. To my understanding, there are no false positives as it tests the blood for chromosomal abnormalities. Either they're there or they're not. Good luck with everything!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"