Nurseries and Baby Gear

Sell me on your swaddle & sleep sack...

My grandmother has very, very graciously offered to sew some for me. She's been sewing since she was old enough (Kansas farmgirl!), and evidently used to make gowns/sleep sacks/etc for me. So I'm wondering what "favourites" you have for your sleep sacks and swaddles, and /why/.

Aden & Anais swaddles look great but at $45 for 3, I'm going to make my own (muslin here runs something like $3/yard, and I can block print with stuff I have here); I'm more interested in why people love the Summer Infant Swaddles, Halo Sleep Sacks, etc. to bits, so I can see about how we can emulate them! 

~Living in India since 2010. Obligatory blog. ~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image
imageimage

Re: Sell me on your swaddle & sleep sack...

• My girls could break out of swaddles pretty early on and couldn't sleep with the freedom of a sleep sack (even the sleep sack swaddlers). For us the turning point was the Miracle Blanket. Hands down best swaddle ever. It keep their little arms down and wrapped tight enough around their bodies to stay secure. After 2 nights in them they were totally different sleepers.
  • image Jessiebug81:
    My girls could break out of swaddles pretty early on and couldn't sleep with the freedom of a sleep sack (even the sleep sack swaddlers). For us the turning point was the Miracle Blanket. Hands down best swaddle ever. It keep their little arms down and wrapped tight enough around their bodies to stay secure. After 2 nights in them they were totally different sleepers.

We loved the Miracle Blanket as well.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like the SwaddleMe and the Halo swaddle sacks because the Velcro makes them really easy to use. No special technique necessary, if you can fold over two flaps, you can swaddle your kid, even in the middle of the night when you've only had 2 hours of sleep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    opaque1997
  • CougFanCougFan
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Miracle blanket! No noisy Velcro and would be impossible to bust out of. It would be so easy to make...the trick would be finding knit that was lightweight but not too stretchy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image CougFan:
    Miracle blanket! No noisy Velcro and would be impossible to bust out of. It would be so easy to make...the trick would be finding knit that was lightweight but not too stretchy.

Also, according to their site, the huge amount of waste material because they don't cut it across, but on a slight diagonal. I'm not going to ask my grandmother to waste so much material. :/  

~Living in India since 2010. Obligatory blog. ~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image
    imageimage
  • image MainelyFoolish:
    I like the SwaddleMe and the Halo swaddle sacks because the Velcro makes them really easy to use. No special technique necessary, if you can fold over two flaps, you can swaddle your kid, even in the middle of the night when you've only had 2 hours of sleep.

This. The Velcro is really strong too, which makes it nearly impossible for them to break free. The secret to the swaddle me is the Velcro in the middle of the blanket between the arms.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • lica001lica001
    500 Love Its Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Answers
    I used the Halo sleep sack with swaddle when DD was a newborn. Loved it, much more convenient at night than wrapping a swaddling blanket around her. It's basically a sleep sack but it also has 2 flaps around the waist with velcro that you wrap around the baby to create a swaddle. You need fabric that doesn't have a lot of stretch to it.  Also the zipper opens from the feet up, so when you have to change diapers in the middle of the night you can unzip from the bottom to the waist without having to get the baby completely out of it. I also love the Aden and Anais swaddles, I used those a lot to swaddle DD during the day.

image  image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• We preferred the swaddlemes over halo. I found that the halo flaps made it easier for dd to break out. The swaddlemes get a better wrap. After the swaddlemes we switched to AA sleep sacks. At 14 mos we still use them. The sizes for the AAs run big but I find that means you can use them longer.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Sleepsack swaddle! I didn't use them with DD1 but wish I knew about them then. I loved them with DD2. The unzipping from the bottom is awesome. Getting them in and out of the SwaddleMe for diaper changes was a total PITA.

• RivaJamRivaJam
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper
    image chardonnay24:

image Jessiebug81:
    My girls could break out of swaddles pretty early on and couldn't sleep with the freedom of a sleep sack (even the sleep sack swaddlers). For us the turning point was the Miracle Blanket. Hands down best swaddle ever. It keep their little arms down and wrapped tight enough around their bodies to stay secure. After 2 nights in them they were totally different sleepers.

This!  DD broke out of any other swaddle right away.

• image alicia_nr:
    image chardonnay24:

image Jessiebug81:

This!  DD broke out of any other swaddle right away.

Same here!

• Halo swaddle sleep sacks. My LO used them for 5 months and never busted out. He was also STTN (8-10 hours) by 6 weeks. You have to make it really tight. I'm going to try the Woombie this time too. I see nothing wrong with making your own swaddle blankets from muslin, but I wouldn't try to make a swaddle me or a swaddle sleep sack. They are designed and inspected for safety and if they aren't just right, they could be a suffocation hazard.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • We loved the miracle blanket.  In winter we used the halo fleece swaddles and I liked the velcro.  Once DD got a bit older and figured out zippers (she is 20 months and still in a Grobag sleep sack) I had to be sure there wasn't a zipper on the front and instead is on the side.  Having a zip all the way around is handy and snaps at the shoulders when they are older is also handy.
  • We used the Summer Infant Swaddle Me with no issues.  We liked the Swaddle Me because it was so easy to use with the Velcro.  When DD started consistently breaking out of her swaddle at 4 1/2 months, we went to the Halo sleep sacks, which we used until she was about 12 mos.
  • estreyas said:

image CougFan:

Also, according to their site, the huge amount of waste material because they don't cut it across, but on a slight diagonal. I'm not going to ask my grandmother to waste so much material. :/  

Yes, but it would only take about 1 - 1.5 years of fabric to make, even if you cut on a diagonal. Unless your fabric costs $15+ a yard, you still save money - even with purchasing bias tape as well, instead of hemming. If you don't want your GM to absorb the expense of the fabric, purchase the material for her. Plus - no shipping. 
  • I hated the Summer Infant SwaddleMe ones. HATED them. The Velcro never stayed attached for more than an hour and they were a PIA to put on. The velcro tabs curled up more and more with every washing, too.

The Halo ones worked much, much better for us because most of the garment zipped on and left her some wiggle room. The velcro tabs on the swaddling flaps were bigger and stronger than the SwaddleMe, and they stayed put.

Never tried the Miracle Blanket, but lots of people love it.