February 2013 Moms

Sleep Training (long)

A week ago DH and I started a sleeping training program for LO based on the book 'the sleep sense program' by Dana Obleman.  The program can be started when LO is 3 months and 13 lbs and is basically the same as Ferber method. My SIL used this program for her two and they did great. For them bed time is fun, they go down easily and sleep well.

LO is not one of those babies that just drifts to sleep in swing or nods off in the bouncer.  She has never fallen asleep on her own once. I spent over a month sleeping on the couch at night with her in the moby wrap and the naps she did take also took place there as well.  I didn't expect to struggle so much but the pressure of getting her to sleep every day and the screaming from being overtired was getting to be more than I could handle.

Anyways, I wanted to share for others that were considering this as I know I read many posts about sleep training and found them helpful.

To sum it up...the idea is to set up a fixed nap and bedtime routine and put them down awake. After 10 mins of continuous crying you go in and give them some reassurance, then walkout.  The first night LO cried for an hour. It was hard for her and us but I seriously thought she would go a lot longer. Since that first night for naps and bedtime she has cried for less than 10 mins or only needed one check.  The purpose of the program is for them to learn how to fall asleep on their own not STTN.  She has been going to bed at 6:30 and sleeping for 12 hours, with one wake up. 

I can't explain how much my life has changed for the better since we started this.  I finally feel like I can breath and I enjoy being with LO so much more. I realize sleep training isn't for everyone but for us it was a must. So feel free to flame away if you need to but LO cried for two minutes tonight before going to sleep and I no longer feel like I'm about to have a complete breakdown every minute of every day. And, of course, DH is happy not to be receiving my sobbing phone calls at work anymore!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Sleep Training (long)

• Just curious, what makes it different from Ferber? I have no feelings toward sleep training, and will probably utilize different aspects of it in a few months when we have to get ready to have both parents back to work again. I'm just wondering what makes this method any different from Ferber.
  • image DublinMama:
    Just curious, what makes it different from Ferber? I have no feelings toward sleep training, and will probably utilize different aspects of it in a few months when we have to get ready to have both parents back to work again. I'm just wondering what makes this method any different from Ferber.

I haven't read Ferber so I'm not sure how it's different. Both are basically CIO with checks at certain intervals. With the sleep sense there are no sleep props (no soothers, mobiles, swaddles, etc). The only thing they can have in the crib is one stuffed animal or small blanket. The idea is that it becomes their bed time toy and they are excited to see it when nap and bedtime comes.

• Happy for you! Good of you to sense what your LO needed to help sleep better. What a burden lifted huh?? Just curious, do you put a stuffed animal or small blanket in the crib? I know you mentioned it and was curious because eventually I wanted to try that, but I didn't want to with risk of SIDS. Not sure if they even get attached to a blanket till later? I'm clueless!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

~I have a baby in heaven 3-20-12~
  • image KayLorraine:
    Happy for you! Good of you to sense what your LO needed to help sleep better. What a burden lifted huh?? Just curious, do you put a stuffed animal or small blanket in the crib? I know you mentioned it and was curious because eventually I wanted to try that, but I didn't want to with risk of SIDS. Not sure if they even get attached to a blanket till later? I'm clueless!

I think the idea here is for them to have something like a small animal in there when they go to sleep so when they wake they still see it, are comforted and can go back to sleep.
    Photobucket
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kitevkitev
    250 Love Its 500 Comments Second Anniversary First Answer
    I don't think you'll get much flaming on this board. Everybody seems to be very "do what works best for you".
    I'm glad it's working for you and you get to keep your sanity. I nurse my girl to sleep for naps and bedtime which may come back to bite me later on, but right now it works like a charm for us and I love it so we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Feb 2013 sig: Man/Lady crush:
  • This sounds like a book I'm reading called Sleeping Through the Night by Jodi Mindell. Two friends recommended it as they had great success with this method. Not sure I'm ready or if she's ready for sleep training yet, but I'm reading all I can now so I can make an informed decision.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • This gives me so much hope. You sound exactly like me when putting my LO down. We're going to start sleep training in a month, I'm counting down the days.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • image KayLorraine:
    Happy for you! Good of you to sense what your LO needed to help sleep better. What a burden lifted huh?? Just curious, do you put a stuffed animal or small blanket in the crib? I know you mentioned it and was curious because eventually I wanted to try that, but I didn't want to with risk of SIDS. Not sure if they even get attached to a blanket till later? I'm clueless!

We have a small stuffed animal. I don't really put it with LO in the crib. I wedge it in the bars so she can see it but it won't get tangled up during her sleep. Hippy the bunny sits with us while reading our book and during feedings so she is used to seeing him. Once she can grab him and move him herself then she can have him.

• The only thing I don't like about the sleep sense stuff....and I have just scanned...is that it goes against AAP recommendations.  Nothing should be in the crib with them, and using a pacifier reduces the risk of SIDS.  Other than that, I say whatever works, do it! :)

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• image ally2011:
    The only thing I don't like about the sleep sense stuff....and I have just scanned...is that it goes against AAP recommendations. nbsp;Nothing should be in the crib with them, and using a pacifier reduces the risk of SIDS. nbsp;Other than that, I say whatever works, do it! :

The book in reading only recommends the toy thing for older kids. It just says the the environment in LO's room should be the same at bedtime as it is in the middle of the night. This helps them fall back asleep. So if music is playing at bedtime, it needs to play throughout the night. If we sleep train we won't have anything in her crib. We will just try to make sure her environment is consistent.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)