July 2013 Moms

Teas for milk production

Hi Ladies. I've been drinking the RRL tea, but the value of that is about gone after delivery, right? So thinking ahead... Is there something that is good to drink after delivery to help with recovery, milk supply, etc?
Thanks for the advice!

Re: Teas for milk production

• I just read today that Nettle Tea is great for milk production.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I actually just asked something similar earlier today on a FB moms group I belong to and the general consensus was to not drink milk production herbs until I notice a low supply, otherwise, it could cause an oversupply which has its own set of problems and issues.

But if you do want to invest in teas, I know that alfalfa, nettle, RRL, and milk thistle are all supportive of milk production....

TTC since Aug 2011. BFP #1 on 10/28/2011 EDD of 07/02/2012 Natural MC on 11/22/2012  BFP #2 on 10/28/2012  EDD of 7/13/13  Judah Ari born on 7/11/13.

I love my rainbow baby!

• Loading the player...
  • I plan to keep drinking RRL after delivery as it promotes uterine health and helps when the uterus is shrinking back. It's good for menstral cramps too.

I wouldn't suggest milk production herbs until you have an issue. It can be helpful when you start pumping or when there is a growth spurt. However, many babies develop gas issues when moms are taking the herbs and with a newborn, I would stay away since their digestive system is so sensitive.

• I used Mother's Milk organic tea when I had an issue with my DS.  I liked it
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • imageJellybean902:
    I actually just asked something similar earlier today on a FB moms group I belong to and the general consensus was to not drink milk production herbs until I notice a low supply, otherwise, it could cause an oversupply which has its own set of problems and issues. But if you do want to invest in teas, I know that alfalfa, nettle, RRL, and milk thistle are all supportive of milk production....

Milk thistle should NOT be used for milk production. It's blessed thistle that you want.

• Isn't Fenegreek or however it's spelled supposed to help with milk production?
  • imagenotaffected1:
    Isn't Fenegreek or however it's spelled supposed to help with milk production?

Fenugreek - I took that too!  It did help but that is a pill and it smells kind of funny and makes your pee smell like maple syrup 

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • imageeaglesfan700:
    I used Mother's Milk organic tea when I had an issue with my DS.  I liked it

This-I didn't really have any supply issues but I figured this tea couldn't hurt, plus it was kind of nice to relax with a cup of tea in the evening so it became a little relaxing evening ritual to take 10-15 mins for myself (which probably also helped milk production, just by chilling out and relaxing!).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I took sweet thistle and fenugreek supplements on advice of my lactation consultant because it took 5 days for my milk to come in. I took the actual pills as a supplement, though, not the tea.

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Thanks ladies, this was very helpful!
  • I drank the mother's milk tea and it was terrible. It did not help my supply. If I need help this time, I am going to try fenugreek.
  • I use Breastea daily, and I've seen a great increase in my milk supply. It's got several herbs for production in it.You just make it up the gallon and drink as needed. I have went from pumping 1/2 ounce to 4 to 5 ounces since I started using it daily.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"