3rd Trimester

Gestational Diabetes

So I found out last night I failed my 3 hour test and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I started crying while still on the phone with the nurse. I am pretty upset about this whole thing. I am a very picky eater and love carbs. I am not a big vegetable eater at all so I am pretty daunted by the prospect of having to change the way I eat. I am definitly a meat and potatos girl. My husband is being supportive and will hopefully do this diet along with me. I'm glad we're done having kids after this baby so I won't have to deal with this again.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket

Re: Gestational Diabetes

• Cheer up.  Diabetes doesn't mean you can't have carbs, it just means you have to watch the carbs and try to eat them with things so they won't spike your sugar levels, like proteins.  I'm assuming you will meet with a nutritionist who can go over a plan with you. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I do not have Gestational Diabetes but if I did I could totally feel your pain - I have craved a ton of sugar during my pregnancy.  Try to look at it this way... you only have about 11 weeks left... in the grand scheme of things, that's not much.  Try to focus on the foods you really like and get creative.  I'd say if your husband does it too you won't miss it as much as you think you will.  Good Luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecwhitloc:
    Cheer up.  Diabetes doesn't mean you can't have carbs, it just means you have to watch the carbs and try to eat them with things so they won't spike your sugar levels, like proteins.  I'm assuming you will meet with a nutritionist who can go over a plan with you. 

I am meeting with the nutritionist on May 21. I'm sure I'll feel better after that it's just until then I am stressing over what to eat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Good luck.  I think there might be a GD check in, so maybe they have some suggestions on snacks their nutritionists have recommended that will tide you over. 

• I feel your pain. I had an absolute meltdown when I found out I had GD. Since then, I've learned how to balance things and yes, you can still have carbs (just not the white stuff, wholewheat instead). I wont lie, it's hard but I can definitely say it's not the end of the world either. There are so many options of food out there now that are sensitive to sugars/carbs/etc. The high risk board has a lot of GD ladies on there to offer encouragement and support too. You can do it and you are not alone!! 
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

• Everyone's experience is different, but so far with GD I am still eating carbs and its going OK as long as I eat them in moderation, try to go for whole grains, and always have some protein with my carbs.  So like a half of a baked potato has been OK, whole wheat bread, the Barilla Plus pasta has worked out well.  Sweet potato fries instead of regular fries.  Just talk to the nutritionist.  It may not be as bad as you are afraid it will be.

I cried too though, so I totally understand.   

K & M married 10.8.2011 *** BFP 7.17.2012, EDD 3.21.2013, Miscarriage at 6 wks 3 days *** BFP #2 11.7.2012, beautiful Tess born 7.11.2013
  • I have it too and I was pretty depressed about it and cried.  My family thought I was being too dramatic about it.  I am still kind of depressed about it, but am living with it and doing what I have to do to keep my sugar levels within the range my doctor has set for me.  My husband isn't supportive at all and worries only about what he is going to eat for meals.  It's like he doesn't care because HE isn't pregnant so why should HE have to worry?  Really hurt when he bought a giant bag of peanut M&M's and ate them right in front of me the day after I found out I had gestational diabetes.  This diet isn't so hard and its not a big deal to test my sugar four times a day, but I am still struggling with feeling sorry for myself over it, and I'm not sure why.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"