February 2013 Moms

SO getting our bodies back

I find it so sad and frustrating that society has put such pressure on moms to lose the weight so quickly. I found out with my first that my supply suffered terribly if I cut calories or worked out beyond walking. I had to swallow my pride and be heavier then I wanted for a year so that I could nurse my baby when all the other new moms around me were congratulating each other on their great looking bodies.

I just wish society valued and understood what being a new mom truly means. It isn't about looking fantastic in post baby pics, but about nurturing yourself and your baby and not having to put extra stress on you and your family to reach some idea of perfection.
View Full Size Image
Lilypie - (kxiS)
Lilypie - (BG2d)

Re: SO getting our bodies back

• If it helps I found that if I follow Kelly Mom's advice and stick to losing a pound to a pound and a half a week, my supply doesn't suffer at all.  My LC told me the biggest concern with working out is dehydration, so I just make sure I am eating enough calories to cover my workouts and drinking extra to make up for what I expend and I have been able to consistently lost weight without my supply suffering.  Good luck!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• I blame celebs who drop baby weight in the first six weeks! It makes me so jealous!

So far I haven't seen a supply drop with dieting but cutting calories was giving me wicked headaches. I'll stick with eating healthy calories, walking and telling myself it took 9 months to gain the weight so I have 9 months to lose it!
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm with you, Teach. I'm still 8-10 lbs over my pre-pregnancy/personal ideal weight, and it really shows on a 5'1" frame. Though, honestly, the loose skin bugs me more than the fat. I wish I was one of those people who could transcend societal norms and not GAF, but I'm not. I really do think poorly of myself for still being heavier than I want to be. No logic, just emotion. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree. If I cut too many calories my supply also dips pretty badly. I basically have to eat all day long to maintain a decent supply. As always, the emphasis on physical appearance in our society is way too high.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14

• I agree, agree, agree.

That being said I look better than I did before I had my baby. But before I had my baby I looked awful! Now I just look better than awful.

As much as I want to get in shape (and was trying to before DD came along) I am just trying to emphasize health over looks.

I know health gives me confidence too, so the more I drink my water, take my walks and stay away from sweets and processed foods, the better I will look even if I am not toning up or loosing weight b/c feeling good makes people look good, I find. But I have an unconventional view of beauty so this is what it is...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image jessicalgilmore:
    If it helps I found that if I follow Kelly Mom's advice and stick to losing a pound to a pound and a half a week, my supply doesn't suffer at all.nbsp; My LC told me the biggest concern with working out is dehydration, so I just make sure I am eating enough calories to cover my workouts and drinking extra to make up for what I expend and I have been able to consistently lost weight without my supply suffering.nbsp; Good luck!

That doesn't always work. Some of us moms can't lose or our supply is affected.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • I hang on to about 10lbs while nursing. With DS and DD, I lost a pound or two with each dropped feeding during the latter part of the first year and then dropped 5lbs when DS weaned from all feedings but the bedtime feeding at 18mo. With DD, I was pregnant again before she weaned to one feeding, so I got to keep those five lbs, lol. It all comes off eventually, and the best thing we can do is be comfortable in our skin before others. Now that I've had my third baby and am looking at only one more pregnancy in my future, I am so thankful dr stretch marks. Sounds silly, but they will be evidence of this sweet time in my life even when all other evidence has long since disappeared.
    Mommy to Seth (4) and Catherine Anne (13 mo.) Excited to welcome a third child in March of 2013!
  • I agree and wish there wasn't so much pressure. However, there is lots of research that shows that women often gain weight with each pg and don't lose it all and it accumulates which contributes to higher obesity levels later in life. I do want to fit back in my jeans, but my real goal is to make sure that I don't hold on to create weight forever and have to battle it later in life for my health.
  • I'm giving myself permission not to worry about it during his first year. I will go on walks but I'm not going to risk my supply and spend an hour a day away from him so I can workout. When he turns 1 I will think about it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image IncogNeato:
    I agree and wish there wasn't so much pressure. However, there is lots of research that shows that women often gain weight with each pg and don't lose it all and it accumulates which contributes to higher obesity levels later in life. I do want to fit back in my jeans, but my real goal is to make sure that I don't hold on to create weight forever and have to battle it later in life for my health.

Thankfully I made sure to lose all the baby weight from DD1 before I had DD2. I will do the same again before we have any more. Diet and exercise work for me, I just have to wait for the sake of my kidlet.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image kbates85:
    I'm giving myself permission not to worry about it during his first year. I will go on walks but I'm not going to risk my supply and spend an hour a day away from him so I can workout. When he turns 1 I will think about it.

That sounds like a good plan.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image IncogNeato:
    I agree and wish there wasn't so much pressure. However, there is lots of research that shows that women often gain weight with each pg and don't lose it all and it accumulates which contributes to higher obesity levels later in life. I do want to fit back in my jeans, but my real goal is to make sure that I don't hold on to create weight forever and have to battle it later in life for my health.

Agree.

I hate society's ridiculous stringent standards of a "perfect woman," but as a medical person I also know that excess weight is unhealthy,

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I will be going to the gym, but it's because I really enjoy it and it will give me much needed 'me' time and gives H much need one on one time with the baby. I'll probably just walk or jog on the treadmill, though. I'll be watching to make sure I don't overdo it.

That said, I was pretty bummed by my appearance for the first week or so, but I started to remember... I don't really give a hoot what anyone thinks of me. Especially if they're just judging the way I look. I am healthy and LO gets enough to eat... That's enough for me. :
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Connor Ryan

BFP 6/24/12 * LMP EDD 3/3/13 * U/S EDD 2/20/13
  • akp0709akp0709
    100 Comments 25 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    image sararn2004:

image IncogNeato:

Agree.

I hate society's ridiculous stringent standards of a "perfect woman," but as a medical person I also know that excess weight is unhealthy,

Agree! As with so many things as moms I feel there has to be a balance. I tell myself to do what exercise I enjoy and makes me feel challenged. Make smart, healthy decision when I can. Let that be enough and the weight will come off in time. On the other side, I am the only person in my family of average size, so finding a healthy balance is something that is really important to me. 

"Always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name"

BabyFruit Ticker