Breastfeeding

Sick baby won't nurse today

For the last few days dd has had a cold and I imagine the congestion is making nursing difficult. I'm doing hat I can to try to help her but today she's barely nursing at all. She nursed once overnight instead of 2 or 3 times and then in the morning on only one side, and now nearly 8 hours later she is finally nursing again. I hand expressed a bit cause I don't want to get a plug or anything. I don't pump or give bottles, but next time something like this happens should I pump? Will I mess up my supply if I don't? I have a pump I have just never used it.

Edit she is 7.5 months.
Grace was born 9/25/2012!

Re: Sick baby won't nurse today

• Try nursing in a hot steamy shower, thats what i do when little guy is sick, clear his nose and just in when its goo and steamy, and you should pump if it gets too long btwn feeding, dont want to hurt, but if you only nurse dont worry too much. I am the same way and my supply has never had an issue... Good lick and i hope little one is better soon...

After 5 years of trying to get pregnant, it finally happened!
    FET #1: 11/23/11 Transferred 2 little embryos
    12/2/11 9dp5dt Beta #1: 37; 12/6/11 13dp5dt Beta #2: 130; 12/8/11 15dp5dt Beta #3: 315; 12/15/11 22dp5dt Beta #4: 3200
    Maison Thomas came in to the world on August 18th, 2012 after a crazy labor, emergency c-section, and 9 days over due! Glad he is here!
    DS is 1 year old, and we are starting round 2 now!
    FET#2: 10/17/13!! : 10/24/13 - BFP : 10/28/13 Beta #1: 3, Chemical Pregnancy
    FET #3: 12/11/13! : 12/23/12 - BFP : 12/23/13 Beta #1: 210! : 12/27/13 Beta #2: 1296!!
    Grow baby grow!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jlpevjlpev
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    image kfdecarie:
    Try nursing in a hot steamy shower, thats what i do when little guy is sick, clear his nose and just in when its goo and steamy, and you should pump if it gets too long btwn feeding, dont want to hurt, but if you only nurse dont worry too much. I am the same way and my
    supply has never had an issue... Good
    lick and i hope little one is better
    soon...

This!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • At 7.5m your supply should be fine with one day of her not nursing as much. Ditto PPs suggestion of sitting in the bathroom with a hot shower running - the steam may help. Run a humidifier too. Or try aspirating her nose right before nursing to get it as clear as possible.

Hope she feels better soon!

imageimageimage"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">