3rd Trimester

STMs. When do we switch car seats?

FTM here and Mil is freaking out because the infant car seat we put on our registry holds up to 22lbs. I thought LO would be in a convertible car seat by then. How big was LO when you made the switch?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

July13 siggy

Re: STMs. When do we switch car seats?

• Most kiddos outgrow the height restrictions in the infant seat long before they hit the weight limits. (Height limit is usually when their head is 1 inch from the top of the shell.) 

DD was out of the infant seat by 9 months because of her height. (She was in the 75%ile.) 

Her infant seat had a 30 pound limit. At her three year well child appointment she was 30 pounds exactly.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AbeilleAbeille
    250 Answers 1000 Comments First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Height is usually the limiting factor vs. weight. My DD hit the height limit at 7 1/2 months...she was 95%tile for height at that time so we had to switch earlier than most.
    Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

My Chart
  • THANKS! I'm so relieved that I'm not just being a dumb FTM.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

July13 siggy

• It depends on you and your kid.  I stop taking the infant seat out of the car with both kids around 3 months or so.  It's too damn heavy for me to bother with.  So between 4-6 months both of mine have gone into convertible seats. 

I have a girlfriend who has a very petite DD that is still in her infant carrier at 13m.  She is a tiny little thing.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

•  

My infant seat expires in 2014 so the baby will be in a rear-facing convertible by the end of the year.   It is now recommended that a child be in a rear-facing seat until at least two.  Technically my 4 year old could be in a rear -facing seat still, she is just now 30 lbs.  

Riley 12/24/08 Pregnancy Ticker
  • We moved my daughter to the convertible car seat when she was 7 months old. I just couldn't carry it anymore, she was probably only around 13 lbs. The convertible car seats are good from 5lbs and up(some 4lbs). I wouldn't worry. They rarely make it to the weight limit, who can carry it??
  • I switched between 9 and 12 months with both of my kids; neither of them were near the weight limit. My two year old weighs 23lbs now :) I actually hate the infant seats that hold up to 30, 32, 35lbs ? they're too big and the baby is out of them way before hitting that weight. I actually had a 32 w/ my first and I got rid of it and bought a 22 because I hated how big and heavy it was.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This exactly except that my DS is only 2 and is just 27lbs now. By 9 months he had only 1.5 inches from the top of the shell so we switched him before he had his next growth spurt which would put him at the limit.

image BelhurstBride:

Most kiddos outgrow the height restrictions in the infant seat long before they hit the weight limits. (Height limit is usually when their head is 1 inch from the top of the shell.) 

DD was out of the infant seat by 9 months because of her height. (She was in the 75%ile.) 

Her infant seat had a 30 pound limit. At her three year well child appointment she was 30 pounds exactly.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's totally going to depend on your LO.  My DD was in the infant seat till she was over 1 1/2.  And at that point it was because she was too long for it, not because of her weight!  (We have the Chicco keyfit 30, so that one lasts longer, plus she is teeny tiny)

I know people who have kids that are in the 95% for height and have had to switch carseats at like 6 mons.  It'll totally depend on your kid. 

BFP Chart

Baby #2!! We can't wait to meet you!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We switched DD to a convertible when she turned one. She had reached the height restrictions before she reached the weight ones. And I had no desire to carry around a 22 lb infant in a car seat, lol. 
    kids

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • my dd is 9 months and still in a infant car seat.  as pp said most kids outgrow length before weight.  also, they get heavy around 18-22 lbs to carry around.
    lolololo
  • DD was out of the infant seat between 10-11 months because of her height, by weight she could still be in her infant seat at 2.5.  Just have to use your judgement...  The carseat she is in now, starts at 5 lbs and can be rear facing, but goes up to like 40-50 lbs as a forward facing seat.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Dd outgrew hers by then. It depends on the baby, but I wouldn't stress about it because you have a while before you get to that point.
  • It depends...my kid was a peanut and literally still fit in her infant seat at 20 months, however I switched her at 15 months because it was getting too heavy to carry.
    Corrine Reese (3-5-10) and Gavin Lucas (7-11-13)
    imageimage
  • My niece outgrew hers in length before she did in weight at 12 months.  She didn't hit 22 pounds until 14 months and, yeah, by that time needed to be in a convertible carseat anyway.  Your MIL is freaking out for nothing!

Janine & Cody | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | February 2012

Surprise BFP November 2012  | Bear Born July 2013

Surprise BFP April 2014  | M/C May 2014 | Totally Planned BFP July 2014 | Due Date 3.20.15!!!

I believe in a lot of things. I believe in fresh tennis balls, the healing power of bunnies, and that the novels of Susan Sontag are something I'll never read. In fact, I don't even know who Susan Sontag is. What is she... like... a painter? I believe in Crystal Lite because I believe in ME. I believe in the movies of Val Kilmer, though these days it ain't so easy. I believe in Darren Sproles, the word "dabble", the first season of "Silk Stockings", and big, warm, moist, gooey chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth and all over your face.