May 2013 Moms

Question for pumpers

I have had to start supplementing with EBM since Brynn isn't back up to birthweight yet and because she gets exhausted breast feeding and doesn't last long.

How much are you pumping off per feed? And how much does your LO take?

When I pumped last night at the hospital I got 2 ounces which she took. My doctor wanted me to try breastfeeding before feeds and then pump and supplement after. She only did about 10 to 12 mins and took 1/2 an ounce. I have no idea if she is getting enough.
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question for pumpers

• nola78nola78
    5000 Comments 25 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    I have supply issues and only get 1oz per side every 3 hours or so. Sometimes a little more, sometimes less. DD will take 3 oz on avg every 2 to 3 hours. I give her the breast milk first and then formula until she's full. When she was in the hospital and they were trying to get her weight up, the goal was 2 to 4 oz every 2 hours.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 1/10/12; EDD: 9/20/12, born too early on 5/7/12 (20w4d) due to IC/PTL/chorioamnionitis.
    BFP #2: 8/30/12; EDD: 5/9/13, emergency cerclage placed at 22w5d, dx cardiomyopathy, strict bed rest for 14 weeks. DD born at 39 weeks.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    All ALs always welcome
  • Have you done a weighed feed yet? That way you can see how much she's getting at the breast and then go from there.

There is a chart that says by weight how much a NB should be eating every 24 hours, I believe up to 25oz. So if you stick with 25 oz divided by the number of feeds [8 to. 12] in a day, that's how much she should have per feed.

When I was supplementing to get W up to birthweight, I would feed each side twice, for around 5 min or for as long as he actively ate, then supplemented with an oz. I would pump after each feeding too, getting anywhere from 10ml to 1 oz from both breasts. I gave BM first, then formula if needed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• I am pumping and feeding 2 oz every 2 hours. I had a lot more that that initially but my supply has settled down.
    Our cycle 12 sweepea was born at 34w 3d!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersPregnancy Ticker
  • I'm getting up to 2 oz per side when I pump, but I am pumping after LO finishes just to relieve the pressure. I don't think she is taking in more than an ounce.
    BabyName Ticker
  • image gogadgetgo:
    Have you done a weighed feed yet? That way you can see how much she's getting at the breast and then go from there. There is a chart that says by weight how much a NB should be eating every 24 hours, I believe up to 25oz. So if you stick with 25 oz divided by the number of feeds [8 to. 12] in a day, that's how much she should have per feed. When I was supplementing to get W up to birthweight, I would feed each side twice, for around 5 min or for as long as he actively ate, then supplemented with an oz. I would pump after each feeding too, getting anywhere from 10ml to 1 oz from both breasts. I gave BM first, then formula if needed.

25 ounces isn't until they are at least 1 month old. see http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

I can't answer the original question but at this age, their stomach capacity is only 1.5 - 2 ounces. I would also recommend a weighted feed, you can do it at your pedi's office or anywhere with a baby scale where you can nurse. I did mine at a BFing store/support center near me.

• I agree with weighing her after feedings. Also, is she having enough wet/dirty diapers? That's a good indication of getting enough BM
  • AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer

If your baby is less than 2 weeks old it may be perfectly normal for them to not be back to birthweight.  To evaluate breastfeeding you don't just pump and give the milk, you need a pre and post nursing session weigh in on a ery accurate scale to see how many oz baby is getting at the breast and whether supplementing is necessary.  if you can pump 2 oz, there isn't anything wrong with your supply.  so a check with an IBCLC lactation consultant would be ideal to verify that latch is fine and help with getting weight gain up. 

the first thing I recommend with perceived weight gain issues is to make sure weight gain is really a problem.  it is normal for baby to lose up to 10% of their birthweight in the first few days after birth, where they are getting mostly colostrum, tons of nutrition and digestive enzymes and first immunization properties--but not a lot of fluids.  that's why at the end of your pregnancy you were retaining water, baby was also retaining water to get them thru those first few days til your milk comes in. 

if baby loses 10% of their weight before milk comes in, it may take actually longer than 2 weeks to regain birth with a perfectly normal baby with breastfeeding going very well.  normal weight gain is 1/2-1 oz per day.  so if an 8 lb baby lost 10% of their weight, that's 12.8 oz.  at 1/2-1 oz per day of gain it will take 12-24 days from the day your milk came in for baby to regain birth weight.

After you check the numbers above for yourself, counting from lowest weight the day before your milk came in to now and see if you are at 1/2-1 oz per day of weight gain.  if you are in that range, keep doing what you were doing and baby will regain at their own rate.

If you are low but still close to 1/2 oz a day, then you boost number of feedings to every 2 hours around the clock for 24 hours and thereafter keep at 2-3 hours during day and 3-4 hours at night between start of one feeding to start of the next, aiming at 10-12 feedings a day.  nag to keep baby awake and actively nursing longer, switching sides, changing diapers, breast compressions and massage etc--that will often fix the problem without any supplementation or pumping at all.

If weight gain is stalled and either 0 or very very low 1/4 oz or less per day of gain, then supplementation may be in order.  so you'd do the every 2 hours of feedings for 1 day, then every 2-3 during day and 3-4 hours between feedings at night thereafter with the nag to eat longer etc advice above.  follow every nursing session (or at least the daytime ones) by pumping and giving what you pump as a supplement, about 1 oz per feeding max.  then back to dr in a couple days to see what is going on.  and go to an LC to see if they can diagnose the reason for the low weight gain.

and head over to the breastfeeding board for some more help.

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.

• My baby was three weeks early and we struggled with BFing. I had to pump cause it was so hard to get her to latch. I pump off anywhere from 50100ml per breast. Which ever one she isn't eating off every 3 hours in order to keep her blood sugar up.

• KLJ3KLJ3
    250 Answers 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary
    Colton had some jaundice and low temperature issues, which led to weight issues, so the doctor had me supplementing with formula until my milk came in. Unfortunately, Colton's latch was poor, and my nipples now look like they went through a meat grinder.

I've been pumping for several days now and have been able to produce enough to stop the formula as of Monday. I've been exclusively pumping and bottle feeding since then to try to give my nipples a break. I've been able to get 4 to 6 ounces total per pumping, and Colton drinks about 3 fairly consistently. He usually lags during that last half ounce.

I asked the pediatrician if that was okay, and he said that 2 to 3 ounces every 2 to 3 hours is what they like to see. In fact, Colton gained 8 oz between Sunday and Wednesday!

The Dr. said when I go back to BFing [with a nipple shield], keep an eye out for the typical hunger signs. If Colton doesn't show them and has wet and dirty diapers, I shouldn't worry whether he's getting enough.

I'll still probably offer a bottle, though, just to be sure.
  • cmooseycmoosey
    Eighth Anniversary 5000 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    C has received some bottles and he drinks 2-3 oz each time. When I pump, I get about 2oz each side, which is similar to what I pumped when I EP'd for my firstborn.

Two little miracles made possible by the gift of life - Be an organ donor - Always thankful