1st Trimester
Options

Can you drink to much water?

I'm almost done a gallon of water and its not even 1:30pm yet. But my mouth is still dry. I heard you can drink to much water how much is to much?

Re: Can you drink to much water?

• Options
    Yes you can. And not to scare you but it can be life threatening. It's called Water Intoxication and you cause hyponatremia in your body. In which you throw you electrolytes way off balance. Drink the recommended amount and you should be fine.
  • Options
    I've had over a gallon before (I drink a lot of water) and been fine, I think you just need to be sure you keep your electrolytes balanced. If it's just that your mouth is dry (rather than really being thirsty) you can try sucking on candies or there are even things in the oral health section at drug stores for moisturizing mouths. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagesarah0632:
    Yes you can. And not to scare you but it can be life threatening. It's called Water Intoxication and you cause hyponatremia in your body. In which you throw you electrolytes way off balance. Drink the recommended amount and you should be fine.

This. 8- 8 oz cups is 64 ounces, which is half a gallon if my math is correct. If you're that thirsty, maybe you should mention it to your doctor. I'm also parched, but that much water...whew!  

• Options

I typically drink 80-100oz per day and I havent had any issues. I cannot remember the number I was told that it was too much. I think your issue is either dry mouth or possibly another medical issue.

ETA: Its 12:34pm where I am and Ive currently had 65 ounces already.

Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I try and balance with a Gatorade so I'm getting electrolytes and a little potassium. For every 60 to 100oz I drink, I drink a Gatorade to stay balanced. I'm not sure at what amount water intoxification occurs but PP is right, it's dangerous! I have a friend who had to be hospitalized because of it.
  • Options

imageparker0706:
    I try and balance with a Gatorade so I'm getting electrolytes and a little potassium. For every 60 to 100oz I drink, I drink a Gatorade to stay balanced. I'm not sure at what amount water intoxification occurs but PP is right, it's dangerous! I have a friend who had to be hospitalized because of it.

Drinking gatorade will not prevent Water Intoxication. You are diluting your electrolytes, specifically your Na (sodium). Which is why it is life threatening, drinking more fluids will not help prevent it.

• Options
    imagesarah0632:

imageparker0706:

Drinking gatorade will not prevent Water Intoxication. You are diluting your electrolytes, specifically your Na (sodium). Which is why it is life threatening, drinking more fluids will not help prevent it.

I apologize for my misinformation but I was told by athletic trainers that it would help in college. Considering Gatorade contains electrolytes and 270mg of NA. I understand the diluting of electrolytes with regular water but then again I have never suffered from water intoxification so I guess I was informed of the wrong solution!
  • Options
    DishyloDishylo member

You can definitely drink too much water so be careful.  I'd schedule a visit with your Doc and let him/her know how thirsty you are and let them tell you what is safe and what isn't. 

I usually drink an average of 3 liters of water a day which is about 100 oz.  

• Options
    imageDishylo:

You can definitely drink too much water so be careful.  I'd schedule a visit with your Doc and let him/her know how thirsty you are and let them tell you what is safe and what isn't. 

I usually drink an average of 3 liters of water a day which is about 100 oz.  

A gallon is 3.78L so its not far off from what you are drinking.

• Options
    I drink 120 oz a day and run and never had a problem.  It definately is a thing though so just be careful. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You can, but you'd have to consume a whole awful lot. Are you eating? Try some pedialyte mixed in there. If you are this thirsty I'd mention it to your OB.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageparker0706:
    imagesarah0632:

imageparker0706:

I apologize for my misinformation but I was told by athletic trainers that it would help in college. Considering Gatorade contains electrolytes and 270mg of NA. I understand the diluting of electrolytes with regular water but then again I have never suffered from water intoxification so I guess I was informed of the wrong solution!

Sorry I should clarify. I guess drinking a bit of Gatorade could help to some extent but I wouldn't suggest it. There's no method to know how much of either to drink to balance it out. Usually people don't show any signs of hyponatremia until it is life threatening so I would not play around with ingesting sodium as a means to be able to drink copious amounts of water.
  • Options

What I found on Water intoxication

Rule of Thumb...Additional Comment from The Chief
    Your system can only process 23-25 oz of H20 per hour at peak aerobic output and 12-15 oz. during normal body exertion. Anything over those intake amounts and you are setting yourself up for disaster.

https://www.summitpost.org/water-how-much-is-too-much/408661

One thing you might look more into though is excessive thirst and dry mouth can be a sign of Diabetes.  If you are drinking a lot with no reprise, talk to your Dr.

13 yr old boy with ASD, ADHD and PICA, 11 yr old boy, 3 yr old Girl, & baby Girl.

imageimage

• Options
    I'm just in shock at how much water yoy ladies can drink!! Holy moly!! I'm struggling to drink anything... Props to you guy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Here's what I found on water intoxication from online (about.com).

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

• Options
    imageAnchorsUp:

imagesarah0632:

This. 8- 8 oz cups is 64 ounces, which is half a gallon if my math is correct. If you're that thirsty, maybe you should mention it to your doctor. I'm also parched, but that much water...whew!  

You're underdrinking for pregnancy.  You're at the bare minimum for a NON-pregnant person.  That can cause problems later on with you not having enough amniotic fluid and if you're dehydrated, it can cause pre-term labor and/or fetal distress.  If you have a hard time drinking fluids in the first tri (I did), then just do your best and dial it up in the second and third trimesters.  

OP, you can overdrink, BUT many doctors recommend that you shoot for around a gallon a day while pregnant.  Mine did.  I already drank over 100oz pre-pregnancy (we're just water drinkers in my family), so it wasn't a big deal to up it further.  I gradually went up to nearly 2 gallons during the summer because I was third tri and so darn hot.  I kept that up while nursing, as you need a ton of water while nursing.  

I was raised to always have water near, so I grew up drinking a lot of fluids.  Plus, we live in a hot climate.  My A1C has always been normal.  Since I'm hypoglycemic and that can be a precursor to diabetes, I specifically request that they test it every so often.  

That being said, I have overdone it in the past.  The symptoms of too much are similar (at least with me) to too little.  I figured it out and dialed it back.  I was drinking about 2 gallons worth not pregnant.  It was just too much. I was so tired and thirsty.  Once I cut back, I felt better in a couple of days.  In all fairness, though, I'd found a tea (SportTea) that I loved and was drinking more of it because I liked it so much.  

If you're having this issue daily and it's not just a one-off thing, then you should talk to your doctor about it.  If you do have diabetes, it's much better to know now than to be surprised by it later in pregnancy.   

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"