Babies: 3 - 6 Months

XP - Reflux and formula

This is cross posted from the 0-3 month  board.

Last night DH and I took LO to the hospital. We were scared something was seriously wrong with her after a day of unconsolable crying. Turns out she has acid reflux. She's been given a prescription for Zantac, which I've seen works for some and not for others.

My question is, for those with LOs that have/had reflux and formula feed, did you find that changing formula helped alleviate the reflux? And if so, which did you find to be the best? I'm thinking of trying the Zantac for a few days to see if it helps without changing the formula, then trying another formula to see if that will help as well if she's still having serious problems.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP - Reflux and formula

• Leo's reflux is not so bad that he needs meds, but the spit up is excessive so we use Enfamil AR. It's regular formula with the rice already mixed in. We find that it helps quite a bit, but be he still has bad days no matter what we do. Good luck!
  • My son had severe reflux and a dairy allergy.  He was put on elemental formula, but the reflux still continued.  We then tried probiotics and within two days, he was a happy baby. We just mix it in his bottle everyday.   No more reflux and no more meds!  It's definitely worth a try.
  • Loading the player...
  • We tried Zantac but it didn't seem to work well for DD since after a couple days she still cried and arched her back after eating.  She had a couple of choking episodes too that scared us to death. She was switched to Prilosec and took that 2x day for a few months. We just recently cut back to once a day and then none and she's fine so I guess her reflux has gone away thank god.  But I really think what helped her the most is keeping her upright for 30 minutes after eating.  We have kept her on Similac spit up since she does well on this formula and has been on it for a few months now.  It has rice starch added.  We feed her the ready to feed instead of mixing the powder because she just seemed to do better on it.  More money but worth it.

Good luck to you and your LO! 

• imageStarfish+77:

We tried Zantac but it didn't seem to work well for DD since after a couple days she still cried and arched her back after eating.  She had a couple of choking episodes too that scared us to death. She was switched to Prilosec and took that 2x day for a few months. We just recently cut back to once a day and then none and she's fine so I guess her reflux has gone away thank god.  But I really think what helped her the most is keeping her upright for 30 minutes after eating.  We have kept her on Similac spit up since she does well on this formula and has been on it for a few months now.  It has rice starch added.  We feed her the ready to feed instead of mixing the powder because she just seemed to do better on it.  More money but worth it.

Good luck to you and your LO! 

We tried Zantac for a couple weeks, not days, typo above.  We also tried Alimentum formula because Ped tried telling me she had a milk allergy, but she didn't...I did NOT care for this formula at all.  It smelled horrid and was so thin.  We also added rice to her bottles when on Alimentum since so thin, which I really hated doing. But I think she responded much better to Similac spit up. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"