May 2013 Moms

Working past your due date?

I've been planning on working right up until I give birth... but now as it's getting closer (hopefully), I'm starting to wonder about working if I happen to go after my due date. I'm already so tired all the time and the commute is killing me! (It's an hour each way, if public transportation cooperates). Is anyone else planning on working after their due date, if baby hasn't arrived yet? Or calling it quits even if they haven't arrived by their EDD?

My only worry is that not knowing when LO will come, I could have a couple days or a couple weeks of sitting around the house being bored. I have GD, so I'm not sure how far past my due date my doctor will even let me go, but I'm not going to push for an induction unless she says it's necessary.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Working past your due date?

• I was due last Thursday and I am currently sitting at my desk *trying* to stay focused enough to keep working. I didn't want to waste leave sitting at home so here I am. Tomorrow will be my last day however since I have to go in for a number of tests on Friday to see how LO is tolerating his extended stay and I will be induced on Monday if he hasn't come on his own. I will tell you this last week has been absolute hell and I cry every morning as I'm getting ready for work BECAUSE I am still going to work. And I have a pretty cushy desk job that doesn't require much out of me except function brain power.
  • I have been wondering the same thing myself!  I was going to take off a week before my due date but as it got closer I decided I will work until the end of next week.  Now I am starting to think about working past my EDD if she isn't here by then.  Guess, I will just see how I feel at that point.  I have a few things I am being pressured to finish up before I leave but other than that I am just so ready to go on maternity leave. 

I do have mornings where I just want to try cry because I am so slow at getting ready for work and am uncomfortable at this point.

• I think it depends on what kind of work you do. I had every intention of working up until and past my EDD, but my LO decided to come 2 weeks early. In hindsight, it would have been nice to have a week or so off to just relax before she arrived. Also, since you have such a long commute and you use public transportation, have you thought about how you're going to get to the hospital if you go into labor at work?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm due in a week. I did half days yesterday, today, and one more tomorrow, then I'm done. I have GD as well and have appreciated having extra time to walk midday while I still have energy. I have also taken naps, which is really helping considering I barely sleep at night. I'm going this week set me up to be well rested when labor begins. I really struggled with guilt making this decision, but am more convinced it's the right one for me.

As far as keeping busy, I always feel like there's more cleaning, errands, and prep to be done, plus a couple hours spent reading a good book on the porch would be lovely!

• I do just have a desk job, so it's not so much the work I'm doing that's tiring me out, it's getting to and from and just being exhausted on top of that already. I do have a change of clothes here at work (in case my water breaks) and if I go into labor I plan on calling a cab to get home (it'll be expensive, but worth it! I don't live that far away, but I take 2 subways and a bus to get here - a cab, especially during non-rush hour, will probably only take 20 minutes).

I also think that once I hit my EDD, I'll have even more doctors appointments to run around to. I have 5 next week - regular appt, 2 NSTs, endocrinologist, and a growth scan! Having all that on top of work is tiring. I might be able to talk to them about working from home (I can do a lot but not all of my job from home), but I'm pretty prepared already - I've got coverage already lined up for when I'm on leave - so I'm not sure how much I'd even have to do if I was working from home. Decisions, decisions!

• I am due Sunday and tomorrow is my last day.  I was originally going to wait until whenever to have the most time with him when he gets here, but the past few weeks I've just been so cranky and miserable and have nothing to do at work anyway that I'm giving up.  I figure a week or two out of six months is not such a big deal.  Although I know it will be when I'm going back...

I also have a long commute on public transport--1.5 hour each way on a bus and 2 different trains plus walking in between the apartment-bus stop; bus stop-train station; transfer trains at one of the busiest stations; train station-office.  It just got to be too much so DH decided 2 weeks ago that I'm to drive in (about an hour driving or less unless traffic decides to be obnoxious and since it is DC...).  The problem with driving is the $13 a day unsubsidized parking (metro is subsidized so I don't pay anything out of pocket for the commute on bus/train).

The plan for us is that my car is packed with the labor bags and if I go into labor at work then someone will take my car and drive me to the hospital and we will get them back to the metro.  My only fear is what happens if I have a major contraction while driving...oh well, 3 more trips (home tonight and in and back tomorrow).  Unless my Jellybean wants to come today--totally fine with that :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am planning on working up until I go into labor. I still feel fine and I work at a desk. I only get 6 weeks fmla and 13 days vacation so I am saving everyone of those days for when LO arrives. Besides I would drive myself crazy at home just waiting.

Edit: For clarification.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I had a hard time making that decision. Best case scenario for me was working from home up to delivery but that didnt work out in the end with my boss.

So Monday was my last day. I had intended to work in the office until delivery but I got more and more tired and unfocused. I really needed this time to focus on the house.

Unfortunately, if I go late its really cutting into my leave. But its a chance I had to take and so far I'm happy I'm at home.
    image imageimage

• CNJ4EVACNJ4EVA
    Ninth Anniversary 250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its
    My plan is to work until I give birth, due date be damned.

That being said, I didn't anticipate how hard it would be so close to the end. I'm uncomfortable all the time and my normal 45 hour week is tough to get through.

I really want to call it quits now, but I'm going to stick it out.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    Oct '14 July Signature Challenge: Pregnancy Humor
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I plan to work at least until my due date for sure. I want to maximize my 8 weeks of maternity leave, so I am debating working beyond my due date if I go that far. I'm kind of useless at work right now but I'm not miserable. I'm sort of taking it day by day.
  • As of right now I plan to work thru next week as next Friday is my due date. Then it's a 3 day weekend so it seems like a good ending point even if baby isn't here. I'm exhausted now, I can't even imagine how I'll be feeling then if he hasn't arrived yet. 

My blood pressure keeps creeping up so I'm not sure how long past my due date they'll let me go anyways.  

I will talk it over with my boss next week though I know he's fine with any decision I make, we're all prepared for my leave. 

Here we go again! 2 u 2 :-) BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I plan on working up until I go...even if its past my due date. I really really dont want to, lol, but I dont want to just sit at home and be pregnant either. Id go crazy waiting for this kid to come out, lol. I would like the relaxation before he comes, but I want to spend all my time with him when hes here. My induction date is set for June 6 in case he doesnt come on his own, so I will probably start my leave June 5 so I can spend the day with my husband and family.

I am definitely getting tired of going to work and it makes me cranky to go in, but it takes my mind off of the wait...at least a little bit, lol. My car is packed in case I go into labor at work and everyday I get ready, I hope today will be the day, lol. Granted, Im not due until May 31, so I still have some time and wouldnt mind him waiting a week or so longer. 

• I will be working from home near my due date
  • image Kzhowell:

I am planning on working up until I go into labor. I still feel fine and I work at a desk. I only get 6 weeks fmla and 13 days vacation so I am saving everyone of those days for when LO arrives. Besides I would drive myself crazy at home just waiting.

This is exactly me as well.  I would be driving myself crazy at home I think.  I do get 6 weeks short term disability and have hoarded 22 pto days.  In between them, I may use a couple of weeks of insurance leave as well so that I have the whole summer off.  I'll even cool going late so i can get paid for memorial day:-) 

I'd put a Movember mustache fail, but then
    you'd all have to look at it until February.
  • image Kzhowell:

I am planning on working up until I go into labor. I still feel fine and I work at a desk. I only get 6 weeks fmla and 13 days vacation so I am saving everyone of those days for when LO arrives. Besides I would drive myself crazy at home just waiting.

This is exactly me as well.  I would be driving myself crazy at home I think.  I do get 6 weeks short term disability and have hoarded 22 pto days.  In between them, I may use a couple of weeks of insurance leave as well so that I have the whole summer off.  I'll even cool going late so i can get paid for memorial day:-) 

I'd put a Movember mustache fail, but then
    you'd all have to look at it until February.
  • I am due the 27th, and originally planned to work until Bean is born, regardless. We could use the money. Now, I dread going to work every day and I know I'm not giving it my all. I mentioned to my boss that I was considering not coming back after my due date, if Bean's not here by then, and she nearly cried, so I guess I'll play it by ear.
  • I'm due the 30th and planning to work until baby arrives, or June 5, whichever comes first. I want to maximize time with the baby, and I don't do a very good job taking it easy at home, so I figure being at the office is actually my new downtime! I have gotten everything ready and re ready for baby so many times I am making myself nuts staring at her nursery...

My little bug, Madeline. Born June 2, 2013.

• I was due yesterday and am still working.  But I work from home, so that means no commute and being able to work on the couch in my PJs and that makes a huge difference!

I am trying to save up as much time off and money as possible before going on maternity leave, so I don't really want to take off any sooner than I need to. I'd rather use my time off to spend with the baby. 

That being said, I worked over 50 hours last week, and moved this past weekend, so I'm exhausted and would love to be able to take time off work to unpack boxes, organize, and nap.  Not sure going into labor already exhausted is a good idea, but I just can't justify to myself using my limited leave yet when there is no baby here.

Also, I would talk to your doctor and ask how long they would let you go (both their policy, and for you in particular with GD). That way you have an idea of what to expect.

I have 3 appointments on Thursday, an NST, ultrasound, and appointment with my midwife since I'm overdue.  I think I will have to take off pretty much all afternoon for those appointments. And since I'm past due now, appointments will be 2x a week instead of 1x. So I'll have to use a little bit of my time off whether I want to or not.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I will be working right up to delivery just because that is the way the short-term disability works at my school. I am technically due tomorrow, but any day I take until I give birth would be a sick/personal day and we only get seven per year. I would rather hold on to them and take it easy here, but it's definitely not for everyone. I have been lucky that I have been feeling really good, but if you need the time, take it!
    imageimageimage

TTC since March 2009 // Me and DH - 28
    Testing Summer/Fall 2010 - Unexplained IF
    IUIs #1-4 ~ Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
    IUI #5 ~ Femara/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ BFN
    IUIs #6-9 ~ Research Study Meds/Pregnyl/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
    IVF Consultation, More Testing
    Diagnostic Cycle ~ Mucinex/Progesterone/TI ~ BFN
    IVF #1 ~ Menopur/Bravelle/Ganirelix/Novarel/Progesterone/Lupron
    7R, 6F // 2 transferred // 3 frosties ~ BFN
    FET #1 ~ Estrace/PIO/Lupron
    3 thawed // 2 transferred // 1 lost // no more frosties ~ BFP!!
    Beta #1 - 456 // Beta #2 - 1176 // Beta #3 - 2933 // Beta #4 - 6753
    EDD: May 16, 2013
    Threatened MC at 6w2d
    Bedrest for SCH // 6w2d through 10w1d
    Elevated TSH and Lazy Thyroid DX @ 10w - Started Synthroid
    Finally released from RE at 13w
    Charles Everett ~ Born 5/20/2013

~~ My IF Blog ~~ 

• I'm working past my due date which was yesterday. My doctor will only let me go one week over, which is next Tuesday, so I'm calling Friday as my last day I work. I feel the same way on not wanting to waste time off. I figure one or two days won't kill me. Plus with the work I do it's better to wrap up on a Friday.
    Ashley IAmPregnant Ticker image
  • I am most likely going to keep working on till I give birth, unless I go seriously overdue.  At that point, I might consider not working so I can relax more and ease into labor.

But, I work from home.   An hour commute sounds like a lot to me, and working from the couch is different from working from an office.   

I probably wouldn't want to commute but only you know what you can handle. 

• This has been my thought all day!  I like one of the PPs where she says staying home to keep it in order seems so much nicer.

I work in an office at a desk but the getting up, dressed and sitting in this chair is KILLER!

I am salary so I am starting to look into my options. Either work 4 hours until LO arrives or use some vacation time the next 2 weeks or geesh do half days next week and the vaca time the following

Pregnancy Ticker