Two Under 2

Do you have a "schedule" for entertaining the older while nursing?

So I am stressing a little about how to keep my soon to be 19 month old entertained while I nurse my infant.  I remember when DD1 was nursing in the beginning, it could take 30-45 minutes at a time.  How am I going to keep her out of trouble for that long, multiple times a day?! My husband usually leaves early and gets home late so that's not really any help.  If there are things I can do now to prepare her for those stretches of time without me being right on her, please share!  

We have a P&P in the living room so I could use that some but definitely not every time I don't think if I'm being realistic.  We also don't do TV except maybe when I get a shower....so maybe 15 minutes a day. 

Do you find yourself on a "distraction routine" for your toddler with each nursing session?  I want to plan ahead with some high interest stuff she'll like if I can. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Do you have a "schedule" for entertaining the older while nursing?

• Haven't had #2 yet but DD loves for me to read the same 10 books 100x a day.  Does your son like books??

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • sosophsosoph member

I tried to feed the baby while dh had breakfast with the toddler so she started the day with some undivided attention (which maybe won't work for you). In the early days, I set us up in a different room each time where she could play and there were a few things I could do one-handed. I was trying to avoid monotony for her so she wouldn't feel I was always feeding the baby in the glider and unable to play with her. So, we'd be in the nursery, her room, the living room. And, I would feed the baby while she ate lunch.I had a few new toys at the ready in case I'd need ot pull them out, but never really did

I also got us out of the house every morning. I nurse on demand, in theory, but with 2 sometimes I would squeeze in a feeding if the toddler was occupied rather than wait. 

• Loading the player...
  • We ended up watching more tv than usual, but also I'd try to break out a toy she hasn't seen in awhile just before I started nursing. She also was really into her kitchen at that time so I would ask her to make me soup or whatever I could think of....I often ended up with a lap full of "food" but it kept her entertained!
    Emmerson 3/23/10 Asher 2/7/12 Baby boy due 10/17/13
  • Yes she likes books but doesn't have the patience for me to really read to her.  SHe wants to flip pages too fast and gets mad if I want to finish reading.  Instead I've tried helping her find things on each page.  

The moving room to room idea sounds pretty good... 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I pumped so it's a little different but I had to do it very frequently for a long time since my supply would tank easily.  I had a pack n play where I put ball pit balls.  I would put her in that with different books and toys.  She was pretty happy there.  I would also just make sure the room is super baby proofed and try to contain him to the room you are.  If he acts up, de latch baby and deal with behavior. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I was nursing DS 2 I tried reading, coloring or sitting and watching something special with DS in the first few months. DS2 is almost 5 mo now and my oldest will play near by. When I'm desperate or he's not cooperating he gets to hang out in the play yard for a few minutes. There are baby toys and stuff inside, so he's not bored.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • NNGnomeNNGnome member
    I was planning on trying to feed using my baby carrier as much as possible, so I am still hands free to read or play with DS #1, has anyone tried this successfully?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

• I've seen an idea for this on Pinterest!  "Nursing Box". Basically a shoe box, plastic storage box, whatever, filled with a few books, quiet activities for the older sibling to play with only when mom was nursing the younger baby. Not going to work 100% of the time but it's a nice idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"