March 2013 Moms
Options

Any 2 month olds eating less than recommended?

So yesterday my LO ate only 20 oz. I feel like that's how today will go to; right now she is only at 12.7 oz, and will probably have 2 feeds between now and going down-i'm hoping both at 4 oz but I may only get a 3 and 4 oz feeding (one around 4:45/5 and one around 730ish). 

She's slowly been eating less and less .A lot of it has to do with her dropping her night feeding basically-she's now sleeping from 730/8 until 6/7.  And when I get her in the morning, she's not interested in eating!  I'm really concerned because when I changed her this morning it's like she barely went to the bathroom, and her BM's have been a lot smaller than normal with some mucus in them.  Also, she's a pretty big baby-12.9 at her 6 week appointment on Friday. The doctor is having me contact an occupational therapist in regards to her swallowing mechanics because she chokes, but I don't know how long that's going to take!

The low amount of urine freaks me out, as does the smallness of her BMs and mucus, as well the fact her lips looks dry.   Is there anyone else who has a big baby that doesn't seem interested in eating? I feel like she'll be hungry for 2 oz then be over the bottle!

TIA

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)

Re: Any 2 month olds eating less than recommended?

• Options
    Has she always had trouble swallowing/choking? I'm a speech therapist and we work swallowing too. I just typically do adults though.
    My baby is 11 weeks Friday and only eats 20 oz. she is just under 9 lbs though.
    Did the dr say anything else or just refer to OT
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

she originally had latch issues.....and she's always had trouble with her tongue movement.  As in, she would stick her tongue out slightly (she has a shorter, fatter tongue but not enough the ped thinks it's an anatomical issue), have a strong suck, but her tongue would just...lay there.  Even to this day I can often pull a bottle out of her mouth, and a pacifier. She gets it right either eventually or she chokes.  She just doesn't seem to get it that she has to pull the bottle with her tongue.....but she also had issues latching and could only latch with a nipple shield, and even then.... 

She's been choking/having issues swallowing for awhile. The ped originally thought reflux (so many of those symptoms seem alike) but since she sleeps like a dream at night (to the point I'm worried because she's dropping that certain feeding), and actually sleeps really well in her crib and likes being on her back...it doesn't seem like reflux.  So now the doctor thinks it might be swallowing (I went to speech therapy as a child, as did my brothers and sisters, so she said it could be a precusor) and something that relates back to the original oral motor issues we saw back at the hospital when we attempted to breastfeed. However i just found mucus in her BM for the past couple days; the doctor said to keep an eye on it, and if it continues for the next couple days it could be a milk protein allergy.

Either way, i'm covering my bases. Though a lot of her symptoms mimic severe silent reflux, she's NOT miserable on her back like most reflux babies, her spit up doesn't seem to bother her...even though i can "hear" something like reflux coming up it doesn't seem to pain her.  I just need to get to the bottom of what's going on with her...

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When do you go to the OT
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I can't go until I get an insurnace ID card for her, they won't even schedule her for an evaluation ....
  • Options

My baby is 11 weeks and 10 lbs 14 oz as of a few days ago. Right after she got her 2 month shots, she stopped eating. She had always been a voracious eater and was tanking down up to 30 oz a day. Now Ella usually eats between 14 and 17 but sometimes as little as 12. Her pedi has been making me feel guilty like I'm not feeding my baby because she says all babies need an absolute minimum of 20 oz a day. Ella has had no trouble gaining weight and keeps up with her wet and BM diapers. There have been slightly less but nothing notable. She STTN - anywhere from 7 to 11 hours a night, so this does account for some loss of feeding. Like your baby, she just doesn't care to eat more than 2 to 2.5 oz where she used to eat 4 no problem. Ella does have extremely severe reflux and has choking issues. Are your daughter's choking issues during or after feedings? Ella chokes on her vomit after feedings and I'm pretty confident it is reflux. It is interesting that they both experience this, though.

I'm so sorry to hear of another mommy going through that. It is so scary when your little one chokes and can't breathe until you can fix it. I hope the OT can give you some answers. She will be in my prayers!

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • Options
    imagevmihelci:

My baby is 11 weeks and 10 lbs 14 oz as of a few days ago. Right after she got her 2 month shots, she stopped eating. She had always been a voracious eater and was tanking down up to 30 oz a day. Now Ella usually eats between 14 and 17 but sometimes as little as 12. Her pedi has been making me feel guilty like I'm not feeding my baby because she says all babies need an absolute minimum of 20 oz a day. Ella has had no trouble gaining weight and keeps up with her wet and BM diapers. There have been slightly less but nothing notable. She STTN - anywhere from 7 to 11 hours a night, so this does account for some loss of feeding. Like your baby, she just doesn't care to eat more than 2 to 2.5 oz where she used to eat 4 no problem. Ella does have extremely severe reflux and has choking issues. Are your daughter's choking issues during or after feedings? Ella chokes on her vomit after feedings and I'm pretty confident it is reflux. It is interesting that they both experience this, though.

I'm so sorry to hear of another mommy going through that. It is so scary when your little one chokes and can't breathe until you can fix it. I hope the OT can give you some answers. She will be in my prayers!

i'm sorry your LO is going through that :(.  She chokes DURING feedings, but always manages to clear it, so i used to think it was refluxed material but now I'm thinking it's milk/formula due to swallowing it weird.  The pediatrician checked her lungs and she's not aspirating....  I'm wondering if maybe she gets distracted and chokes? it's just weird. 

today she took at 2.5 oz bottle upon wake up, but after her first nap she took 4 oz, and then basically 5 before her second big nap...so who knows!  I'm hoping to get another 10 oz in her..then if that pattern keeps up, she'll be where she was before she was dropping the night feeding.  

she eats the best "Sleepy" so I'm going with that for now (feeding her when she wakes up/feeding her when she is going to sleep), but I know in the next 4-6 weeks I really need to watch that because she's going to start forming correlations between feeding and sleeping......but so far she doesn't have a problem putting herself back to sleep when she wakes up during the night....

I'm really sorry about Ella.  That is awful; the choking scares me too but like i said she's always done that and always clears it on her own so i really think it's more of a swallowing problem than reflux... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"