Pregnant after IF

Talk through this with me, please?

This is long, sorry! 

Quick summary:  At 28 wks I was DX'd with previa and baby was suspected IUGR.  At that time we began doing twice weekly BPP ultrasounds with the plan to re-check baby and placenta via a big growth u/s with the high risk u/s people at 31 weeks.

Baby scored 8/8 on all BPPs during those 3 weeks.  Growth u/s showed no more previa ::insert happy dance::, that baby gained roughly 1 lb. in 3 weeks and grew at a steady rate, but was still under the 5th%tile in all but 1 category.

We met with my OB last week.  I was cleared to go for a vaginal delivery and she wanted to continue to keep a close eye on baby so we would continue with the twice weekly BPPs and re-do another growth u/s at 34 weeks but that she was very happy that baby gained so much and "grew at a good consistant rate."

But, she's still seems insistant that we take the baby early--like 37/38 weeks.  And I'm struggling with that.  If something were to change and baby isn't growing/starts failing the BPPs I'll get myself to L&D faster than you can say BOO and get this baby out however.  BUT, I'm having a hard time being OK with taking a baby early that is growing (at a good consistant rate) but is just smaller. 

I'm going to hold off on pushing the topic/issue until after our 34 week growth us, but I'm trying to come up with the most diplomatic way to broach the subject.  Suggestions?

For reading:

BabyFruit Ticker
TTC since 3/10: IVF #1 BFP: #1 60, #2 128, #3 256, #4 796, #5 1926!
U/S #2: 2 heartbeats!!!! U/S #4: Vanishing twin around 8=9 weeks

Re: Talk through this with me, please?

• Has she said why she is still insistent on taking the baby early?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Married Sept 2008
    ~~TTC Nov 2010~~

IUI #2: 1/21/13-100mg Clomid(CD3-7)(8M post wash) + progesterone= BFP!! EDD 10/13/13
    Beta #1=81.1 Beta #2=134.5 Beta #3=58.1 #4=2369 WTH?!-Not sure if its viable
    2/21/13 - Went to RE expecting the worse and saw the flutter of the heart.To God be the Glory!!

5/29 - It's a Girl!!
    8/21/13 - Naomi born at 32w3d by csection due to Pre-E
    12/23/13 - Diagnosed with supravalvar pulmonary stenosis

~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~ 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

imageimage

• Maybe just an open honest discussion with your doctor about how you'd like to carry for as long as your body will safely allow you too.

I agree with you, btw.

Me- 32, DH- 32- TTC for 4 Years
    IUIs 1-6 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP- M/C
    FET- Beta#1: 69, #2: 482, #3: 1088, #4: 28,318, Ultrasound- 1 beautiful heartbeat
    It's a boy!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm curious too what the benefit would be to taking the baby early.  My gut feeling is that as long as little one is doing well there's no sense in taking them sooner, especially if they're already measuring on the small side.  

Talk to your doctor about it, but also trust your gut mama. 

TTC #1 since 2/2011. Me: Age 36. Stage III Endo and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.
    IUI #1 March: BFN, IUI #2 April: BFN.
    IVF #1: Started stims 7/30--CANCELLED.
    IVF #1.2: Stims start 10/8/12, ER: 10/20/12; 11R/8M/4F, 5DT: 10/25/12, transfer of a 4AA and 3AB Blast. BFP on HPT 10/31/12; Beta #1: (16 DPO) 954! Beta #2: (18 DPO) 1968! First U/S: TWINS!! A/S: TWO BOYS! EDD: 7/13/13
    PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image image
  • LeahB12LeahB12
    Ninth Anniversary 250 Answers 2500 Comments 250 Love Its
    It has always been my understanding that babies with IUGR are taken out around 37 or 38 weeks before something else goes wrong. I know that doesn't sound ideal to you, and I understand why, but I would listen to your OB. Has your OB explained the reasons for taking the baby out at that time?
    5 losses and several failed cycles
    2 miracles
    J born 4/19/10
    A born 5/16/13
  • I'm sure you have been, but between now and then I would just do as much research as possible so you can have an educated discussion about it. As far as broaching the subject, I would just explain to her your desires and your hesitations to move early based on the significant recent growth and ask her to explain why she thinks it's necessary to take the baby early. I think I saw your post to cdale regarding just how off weight estimates can be so maybe discuss that with her also.

Let her know your willingness to move early if it gets to a point where that is necessary, you're not trying to be stubborn or difficult, and you will obviously do what's best for your baby.

**PAIF/SAIF Welcome**
    TTC #1 March 2010 - Nov 2012
    Me: 29, PCOS (anov), Hashimoto's Disease // DH: 30, normal SA
    3 Clomid, 1 Clomid/Menopur, 1 Menopur w/ TI (CX 4x's due to cysts) - All BFN
    1 Clomid/Menopur, 2 Menopur, 1 Follistim w/ IUI - All BFN
    RPL & Karyotype testing normal

IUI #5 (12/1/12) --> Follistim + 1/3 hCG Trigger = BFP! EDD: 8/23/13
    Betas --> 61 (13dpo) // 156 (16 dpo) // 223 (18dpo) // 656 (21 dpo)
    U/S --> 5w0d - sac seen // 6w0d - hb detected // 7w0d - hb seen and heard, measuring 6w6d!
    8w6d - wiggly baby! // 9w3d - wiggly baby with fingers!

Baby boy born 8/24/13

imageimageimage 

My Blog: Searching for Lucky Socks

• My daughter had IUGR as well.  She was taken at 37w.  Your doctor should have laid out all the reasons why.  Basically since they are technically term, they'd prefer them to be able to get nutrition out of the womb that they're not getting inside.  Typically IUGR is caused by a crappy placenta, which only gets more compromised at the end.  There is a risk of blood flow issues as well as placental abruption.  Trust your doctors, they (typically) know what they're doing.  Definitely ask all your questions, but I would hesitate to go against doctor's orders like that.  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask or PM me if you'd like, I'd be glad to help if I can.
    Sunny

Dx: Hyper-turned-hypothyroidism after RAI, Stage II Endometriosis, PCOS/annovulation

Femara brought us our first-ever BFP after 5+ years!
    Beta #1 (13dpo) 40.8, Beta #2 (17dpo) 189.4, Beta #3 (24dpo) 3748.5

Evangeline Rachel born at 37w via scheduled c-section due to IUGR and being breech

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image LeahB12:
    It has always been my understanding that babies with IUGR are taken out around 37 or 38 weeks before something else goes wrong. I know that doesn't sound ideal to you, and I understand why, but I would listen to your OB. Has your OB explained the reasons for taking the baby out at that time?
    Right, she said that at our 28/31 week appt. Except there are also risks that come with taking a baby at 37/38 weeks too. There is still A LOT of development that occurs during the last 3+ weeks. Her reason is that "baby can grow better on the outside." But, baby IS growing on the inside, just slower. I think I'm also hung up on her saying several times that she was happy with the growth rate, even if baby was on the smaller side.
    image Sunshine05:
    Typically IUGR is caused by a crappy placenta, which only gets more compromised at the end. There is a risk of blood flow issues as well as placental abruption.
    Right. Except I don't have the typical placenta issues. We spent time at the growth u/s looking at the blood flow from each cord vessel and it looked great.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC since 3/10: IVF #1 BFP: #1 60, #2 128, #3 256, #4 796, #5 1926!
    U/S #2: 2 heartbeats!!!! U/S #4: Vanishing twin around 8=9 weeks
  • I agree with your stance on the matter.  If the baby continues to do well on the inside, seems like it would make much more sense to keep it there!
    TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30 (P/SAIF, PGAL welcome)

Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p

Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility

4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d

7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN

IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d

FET#1 3/2 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d

4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d

FET#2 7/16 - 2 blasts = BFN

FET#3 8/20 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354 Stick Baby Bear Stick!

1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my BFPB, IF sister, IVF, and FET buddy NMscubagirl
  • image KdgTeacher:
    image Sunshine05:
    Typically IUGR is caused by a crappy placenta, which only gets more compromised at the end. There is a risk of blood flow issues as well as placental abruption.
    Right. Except I don't have the typical placenta issues. We spent time at the growth u/s looking at the blood flow from each cord vessel and it looked great.

I was monitored twice a week with NSTs, BPPs, and growth scans at my MFM who also looked at placental blood flow, etc.  They can see at the u/s how it looks that very moment.  They can obviously see if things are starting to deteriorate, but in all likelihood things could crap out the next day or before you get back for another u/s.  It's obviously up to you to do what you want, but I just urge you to really talk to your doctor.  Yes, those last 3 weeks are a time of growth inside as well, but I know after going through IF that you don't want to do anything that could compromise you and your baby's lives.  Placental abruption happens with no warning and can be fatal to both of you.  It just wasn't worth the risk to me or my doctor.  My daughter came home with me after being born at 37w at 4.5 pounds.  She has no long term effects and after being able to be properly nourished has gotten to where she should have been had my placenta been feeding her properly -- 75% for both height and weight, when she was in the single % in utero and at birth.  Just want you to make a fully educated decision and not have any regrets, that's all!  GL to you and your LO!

Sunny

Dx: Hyper-turned-hypothyroidism after RAI, Stage II Endometriosis, PCOS/annovulation

Femara brought us our first-ever BFP after 5+ years!
    Beta #1 (13dpo) 40.8, Beta #2 (17dpo) 189.4, Beta #3 (24dpo) 3748.5

Evangeline Rachel born at 37w via scheduled c-section due to IUGR and being breech

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Others have said pretty much everything I would, but I would just encourage you to ask your doctor to explain why she feels you'd need to deliver early considering the recent growth.  Maybe she can give you more information about why she's so insistent that will help you feel better about whatever choice you make.
    image  image

TTC starting November 2010  HSG clear, DH SA #1- Slightly low count & motility SA#2-normal
    Lap&Dye/Hysterscopy Feb 2012: Endo stage 2
    April - June 2012: Femera 5 mg & 3 IUIs = All BFN    July/August 2012: IVF #1 = C/P
    September/October 2012: IVF #2 BFP! Beta 1= 223 Beta 2 = 480 Beta 3 = 11,440
    My beautiful daughter was born June 21, 2013

• i would be VERY forthright and ask for answers to all of your questions---if you still don't feel right i would absolutely get a 2nd opinion, even this late in the game.

• Personally, if the baby is growing at acceptable pace now, I agree there really is no reason for taking the baby early. While 37/38 weeks is considered term in the medical field, I had a 37 weeker because of long going PTL and we did have some issues. He had a slow start and had to have his breathing monitored and had significant latch issues with both breast and bottle and lost 14 of his birth weight before we could correct the issue and almost needed a feeding tube.

On just another note, I think the growth progression is more important than the actual size. Although they usually are pretty accurate via ultrasound I once again was not the norm. At 37 weeks when I went in for my ctx they did an ultrasound and said he measured 43 weeks as far as limbs and abdomen go and estimated he was 22 inches and 9lbs 6oz. Just a few hours later he was born barely 20 inches and 7.5 lbs.

I say if the growth continues at the 34 week appointment that you should refuse an early induction. At the end of the day it is your decision and you need to feel confident that the risk of taking the baby earlier is better than the risk your placenta will fail at 37 weeks and deal with failure to thrive.
    -adorUHbuL