March 2012 Moms

Talking

Any one else have a baby of very few words? DD only says "Ba" which can mean just about anything. We rarely get "Dada" and I have never gotten "Mama". She babbles, but nothing coherent.

My girlfriend's kid who is 3 mo younger says "Bye Bye Mama!"

I just want to hear "mama" and also know DD isn't so far behind that we need to worry.

Re: Talking

• DS has a few more words than your DD but I don't think you need to worry. There is a wide range of normal for language development. I think if she wasn't babbling I might worry, but clearly she is working on it. :)

BTW, I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I love your siggy pic! Too cute.

• DD says "dada" (when referring to anything) and "kit" for the kitty.  Very rarely, when she's really not feeling good and really wants a cuddle, I'll get a "mama".  And that's about it!  She's babbling, but no "real" words yet...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DS says DaDa all the time. It's only MaMa when is is crying, tired, or hungry and even then I am not sure it's intentional. This week he just started sayin Oh doh, which could be babble or Oh no.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thank so much, ladies!

And RnRFriend, thanks! The dog and DD are best friends.
  • DS says "mama" and "dada" but not necessarily always to DH and me.  He babbles constantly so I'm not terribly worried, and he understands when we talk to him (if I ask if he wants to go outside, he runs to the door, if I tell him we're going bye-bye, he waves, if I ask if he wants breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack he goes to his high chair) so I don't think it will be too terribly long before he starts talking.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • A. has more words than your LO, but J. was a very, very late talker. He didn't use any words in context (not even Mama or Dada) until 2 years. It was just a couple weeks shy of his second birthday when he used "Dada" and I was absolutely certain he meant daddy.

He also didn't babble as a baby. From the perspective of someone who has a child with a speech delay and one without, I'd say you don't need to worry at this point.

That being said, I totally know how hard it is to wait to hear "mama" in context. (He didn't say it until after 2 years. And yes, I cried the first time it happened.)
  • Ba- is generally me...

Only words really :

No No No- Which he says PERFECTLY in a cute little sing

Bye

magnet (he LOVES to play with the magents on the fridge)

Ball- he repeats it very clear

Di-elo- (is how he says Cielo-big sisters name)

Dadti- (is his Daddy)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • DD uses daddy for DH and some jumble of consonants that start with M for the dog (Major), no, no, no for No (thanks to her cousin).  She very very rarely pulls out Mama. She will say duck if you hold one up or point at one.  She signs and understands the meaning of milk, drink water, eat, diaper change, all done, ball, hat, more, play, and can sign but doesn't seem to conceptualize please and thank you.  We were concerned about her lack of vocalization at her 12 mo appt and the doc said the most important part is the ability to follow directions or play games on demand (ex "so big" or peek a boo).  Our pedi did caution us that we need to be careful to not stress too much though because in the example of "so big" it is sometimes more fun to not respond and make daddy throw his arms up in the air then to play along.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Ok this what an slp by 15 months if there are not 5-15 words you should get evaluated.  This mean being used regularly.  Doesn't mean there's a problem just means sometimes development in speech is a tad slower meaning proper sounds but not words.  2 words together isn't until much later.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • mcgeevamcgeeva member
    DS doesn't say much either but I have no clue if it has to do with daycare. I know at daycare they speak a ton of spanish. Our son only says dada, mama (when mad) and hi. That is it!

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• mcgeevamcgeeva member

imageMrsJetSet:
    DD uses daddy for DH and some jumble of consonants that start with M for the dog (Major), no, no, no for No (thanks to her cousin).  She very very rarely pulls out Mama. She will say duck if you hold one up or point at one.  She signs and understands the meaning of milk, drink water, eat, diaper change, all done, ball, hat, more, play, and can sign but doesn't seem to conceptualize please and thank you.  We were concerned about her lack of vocalization at her 12 mo appt and the doc said the most important part is the ability to follow directions or play games on demand (ex "so big" or peek a boo).  Our pedi did caution us that we need to be careful to not stress too much though because in the example of "so big" it is sometimes more fun to not respond and make daddy throw his arms up in the air then to play along.

It's amazing your daughter knows so many signs. I cannot get my son to really copy anything I do. I have no clue if its because they are with someone else all day or maybe he just isn't ready. I just ordered some baby flashcards..I know a little late but figured its better late then never.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• imagemcgeeva:

imageMrsJetSet:
    DD uses daddy for DH and some jumble of consonants that start with M for the dog (Major), no, no, no for No (thanks to her cousin).  She very very rarely pulls out Mama. She will say duck if you hold one up or point at one.  She signs and understands the meaning of milk, drink water, eat, diaper change, all done, ball, hat, more, play, and can sign but doesn't seem to conceptualize please and thank you.  We were concerned about her lack of vocalization at her 12 mo appt and the doc said the most important part is the ability to follow directions or play games on demand (ex "so big" or peek a boo).  Our pedi did caution us that we need to be careful to not stress too much though because in the example of "so big" it is sometimes more fun to not respond and make daddy throw his arms up in the air then to play along.

It's amazing your daughter knows so many signs. I cannot get my son to really copy anything I do. I have no clue if its because they are with someone else all day or maybe he just isn't ready. I just ordered some baby flashcards..I know a little late but figured its better late then never.

I can't take much credit on the signs. Daycare taught her most of them. They use the repetition method of using the sign literally every time they use the word. We just continue that at home. I don't think it is too late at all to try different things. My dd continues learning signs for the next 3 years at daycare. It would help if your provider used them too though.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"