Breastfeeding

I feel like a bad mom

So I have been breastfeeding my 11 day old son. Last couple days he did not want to breastfeed and I ended up giving him a bottle, with breast milk. I would always try breast first. I know i'm producing enough but he just did not want to latch.. I love breastfeeding but he really isn't latching well... I feel so awful for not getting him to latch anymore..anyone else have a problem with this? Any ideas or advice?

Re: I feel like a bad mom

• You are not a bad mom!! BFing can be a challenge.... but if you really want to make BF work, I suggest going to a support group or contacting a lactation consultant to help get your LO back to the breast.  And in the meantime, make sure you are using BF-friendly bottles and giving them very slowly in a BF-friendly manner (kellymom has tips). 

My LO didn't really figure out how to BF until she was 3 weeks old, but at almost a year we are still going strong and I'm glad I stuck it out in those rough first few weeks.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• I am having a really hard time with latching. I posted my issue below yours title struggling. Try a support group or lactation consultant in your area. You aren't a bad mom.
  • You are not a bad mom!  Breastfeeding is hard work! I suggest seeing a LC or finding someone from the LLL to help.  It could be the easiest problem to fix if the proper person sees what is going on. 
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker