Breastfeeding

Nipple pain/Exclusively pumping

My baby bites constantly so the hospital told me to use a nipple shield which worked great at first but now he's not getting enough milk that way so I started exclusively pumping. Now, pumping is so painful in my nipples. It feels like they are extremely bruised. I can't handle pumping for more that 10 min at a time and starting to fall behind so I'm scared I won't be producing enough pretty soon. Does it sound like I need a different size pump piece? Forgot what it's called I really want to make breastfeeding work but it is extremely painful and I don't know how much longer I can do this every 2 hours. :
Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Nipple pain/Exclusively pumping

• The other thing I can think of is if your suction setting is too high.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• image PipSqueak0313:
    The other thing I can think of is if your suction setting is too high.

This!  (Like I did.). You might have to set the suction lower and pump longer, especially until you get used to it.  I saw a LC and she was very surprised at how low I had the suction set.  Now I can turn it up higher, but always have to start low.

Or check to make sure your nipple doesn't rub the inside of the flange.  Also, don't pump after a shower/bath.  Your skin is more sensitive and pumping is ridiculously painful. 

• It's on the lowest. But it is way stronger when I pump both breasts than when I do one at a time.
  • I read that part of your nipple will always rub against the sides. Is that true? When reading about what size flange to get I found it very confusing.
  • JSS1002JSS1002
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Combo Breaker
    I would definitley experiment with different size breast shields (flanges).  I have several sizes and honestly sometimes it varies by the day which one I use.  I have 24 and 27 (came with my pujmp) and then ordered 30 and 36.  The 36 have always been way too big but I have used the 30s a few times.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • image taylorunden:
    I read that part of your nipple will always rub against the sides. Is that true? When reading about what size flange to get I found it very confusing.

Mine doesn't rub if I'm positioned correctly, but it's close. I tried the next size up flange, and it pulled in too much of my areola so it was more uncomfortable.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I slather on lanolin before I pump to reduce the friction. You could try a bigger size flange also. GL momma

• MBush4MBush4
    500 Comments 100 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hey mama! I'd say lower the suction and speed and pump a little longer while your body gets adjusted. I still get bruises every once in a while, but in the end, it's going to hurt. Also, the nipple shouldn't rub against the flanges. The areola will, but not the nipple. If you have to reposition mid-pump, that's fine. I do it a lot; especially when I'm exhausted and position myself poorly. Good luck! It's going to get worse before it gets better, but 3 months in and it's a lot easier for me.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)