1st Trimester

Blabbermouth on Facebook!

So we invited our parents over this weekend to tell them our big news! It's early but we're excited and wanted to be able to talk to them about it (even if the worst happens!)

My dad and his girlfriend came on Friday evening (my mom died when I was younger), and though I'm not a big fan of her, we told them both the news and they were excited! We reminded them its still early and we'd appreciate them staying quiet until we give them the go-ahead at 12 weeks!

TODAY, being our 1 year anniversary we had people write on our Facebook wall to congratulate us. My Dad's girlfriend comments on someone else's well-wishes (and underneath my aunt's (mom's sister) comment, "Happy Anniversary, and Happy Mothers Day!".... Which I immediately freaked and had to get to a computer quick enough to delete it! By the time I get there, the comment has been edited to, "Happy Anniversary and Happy EVERYTHING Day!"

I deleted her comment and called my dad to tell him to talk to her. She's had the information for less than 2 days and has potentially told 400 people I know on Facebook!! I am so frustrated!! What's worse is I have a child mentality with her that she's not my mother therefore whatever happens in my life is none of her business, but I was trying to be mature about it and include her. Should have gone with my gut!

has anyone ever had someone blow your spot up on Facebook??  

Re: Blabbermouth on Facebook!

• Can't say that I have, but I'm wondering if it was an honest mistake? I don't blame you a bit for being upset with her - I would be livid - but maybe she let it slip without realizing it, and that's why she went back and changed it? 
  • Maybe. She's absolutely a speak-before-she-thinks person... But seriously! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes the mom of the girl I babysit during the week let slip I was pregnant on FB. THANKFULLY I was online when she posted the comment on my thread and I deleted it right away. Only one person saw and she messaged me right away to see if she read it right and if I was still keeping it secret so thankfully it didn't spread to anyone else and she had the common sense to ask me first before she commented on it.
    I had told my friend not to say anything b/c we wanted to keep it a secret until the 2nd tri but she had a brain fart. I was complaining how I couldn't find the kit to convert my son's crib to a toddler bed anywhere and she said to just save it for the new baby and buy him a new bed. 
    With how sick I have been lately and ppl knowing I was in the hospital I figured it wasn't worth keeping a secret any longer. I didn't want to create reason as to why I was sick so we announced yesterday on FB. 

Sadly the best way to keep a secret is never tell anyone. With social media its so easy for someone to let it slip and everyone to see it. 
    photo 6aecdc21-d010-4990-8b8b-da468f75ece3_zps38a4dec0.jpgphoto 8c7926e4-3191-4d9f-8e13-2ba2d4b7296f_zps45188ab0.jpg
              Connor - 12/15/10                                     Abby - EDD 11/29/13
    Lilypie - (bLG7)
  • imagetootsscott:
    Maybe. She's absolutely a speak-before-she-thinks person... But seriously! 

I agree with the seriously part! I know a couple of people that are like that and that's fine if they want to blab their own news, but they should really think about it before talking about others.  

• imageAnchorsUp:

imagetootsscott:
    Maybe. She's absolutely a speak-before-she-thinks person... But seriously! 

I agree with the seriously part! I know a couple of people that are like that and that's fine if they want to blab their own news, but they should really think about it before talking about others.  

Truth! At 50-something years old it's time to start thinking! ;) 

• Yeah, what a bittch to wish you a happy anniversary and mother's day. Ugh.

Seriously, I know it's annoying for somebody to accidentally share the news, but she sounded like she was excited for you and for your father.  

• Yep. When we found out I was pregnant with my son, we told only our parents. My MIL couldn't keep her mouth shut, and told DH's aunt. I was only 5 weeks when I logged on to FB one day to see her status update reading, "So excited my nephew, Mr. Leahraewku, is going to have another baby!" I appreciated her enthusiasm, but certainly wasn't happy having our news announced to the world so prematurely! Five weeks was ridiculously early to put that kind of info out there.
    imageimageimageimage
  • imageleahraewku:
    Yep. When we found out I was pregnant with my son, we told only our parents. My MIL couldn't keep her mouth shut, and told DH's aunt. I was only 5 weeks when I logged on to FB one day to see her status update reading, "So excited my nephew, Mr. Leahraewku, is going to have another baby!" I appreciated her enthusiasm, but certainly wasn't happy having our news announced to the world so prematurely! Five weeks was ridiculously early to put that kind of info out there.

Agree! No matter the intention, it's like getting kicked in the guts!

• My DH husband and I told our immediate family 2 weeks ago but have asked them to keep quiet until we are ready to announce. This is our first pregnancy and I am only 8 weeks along, I go for my 2nd doc appt this week and will more than likely be ready to start telling select people after that. Needless to say my father in law thought that it would be a great idea to announce it on Facebook yesterday!!! Thankfully DH caught it in time and told him to delete it bc we were not ready. He then told me about it and my crazy hormonal self became extremely pissed and irrational. I was upset about the lack of consideration, thoughtlessness, etc. DH then made me feel bad for getting so angry. I feel I had every right to be though. Just very frustrating!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LMCB12LMCB12 member
    I would be upset whether it was on purpose or not.
  • Yep, my father in law told everyone I was PG on Facebook way before I was ready. Then the worst thing happened I miscarried at 9w3d. Not fun explaining that to 200 plus people. I completely understand...
    Jazzerbabe Mom to DS Jacob 11/09/2007 TTC since October 2009 BFP 11/18/2012 M/C 01/30/2013
  • Whenever we have good news or bad news we always say NO FACEBOOK till we post something ourselves. It is somthing that you should assume that people know better, but it is amazing how many people dont.  Besides the fact that it is so early on in your pregnancy, it can be hurtfull to the important people in your life that you havn't had a chance to tell yet. If you tell the news to someone just confirm you havn't annouced it yet to everyone please no facebook.

Now that your Step Mom has spilled your news, I would just talk to her and say I know you are excited but....and list why you want to keep it a secret. What is done is done and no reason to stress out now. Since she was responsible for telling everyone ask her to please also spread the news that its not OK to put it on facebook. Try to get her on your side so it doesnt cause drama. Leave it to her to do damage controll and move on. If there is anything else you tell her like sex of the baby, or news on the pregnany just dont assume she wont blab and tell her asap this is only for the people in this room and you will be extreamly hurt if you find out (especially on facebook) that others know. Let her know truthfully you want her to know things because she is family and your dads wife, and it would be upsetting to you to have to keep things from them.

One thing I know with my mom is she will always blab. I try to work around it now. Unfortunatly, I have learned if I dont want the world to know I need to keep more to myself till Im ready to tell everyone. But one way I deal with it is once I am ready to tell her I usally just let her go nuts and tell the world! Saves time on my end and she has a blast!

• That is awful. She's out of line to even hint at it.

I experienced a loss around 9 weeks and would be black-out furious if someone outed my pregnancy on FB before we were ready to tell.

BFP #1 June 2009 - Evangeline born 3/5/2010
    BFP #2 August 2012 - Partial Molar Pregnancy, D&C September 2012
           BFP #3 January 2013 - Chemical Pregnancy

BFP #4 April 2013 - EDD 12/15/13

Baby Charlie born 12/7/13!

• Meh, I personally would not infer a friend was pregnant because someone posted "Happy Mother's Day" on their wall. 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• I had this happen with our first pregnancy. We did fertility treatments so our parents knew very early. My mom told some girls that she worked with at a salon. Well one of them DH happened to go to high school with. Our first pregnancy ended in mc due to a blighted ovum which took quite a few weeks to diagnose so we were in limbo for a while. She got on my FB during that time and said "Congrats on the baby. We'll have to get together for playdates". She was pregnant at the time also. THANKFULLY my BFF who already knew just happened to see it within minutes and let me know and I deleted it right away. Then I sent the girl a message explaining that the pregnancy is not going well and that we might miscarry and that we had clearly not made "the FB announcement". Ugh!! I thought FB protocol was pretty universal now. If you know something about someone and they haven't advertised it in FB then you DON'T comment about it. Sheesh!!

I hope you caught yours in time and that she keeps her mouth shut from now on!! I would have been livid!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLovePiggys1027:

Whenever we have good news or bad news we always say NO FACEBOOK till we post something ourselves. It is somthing that you should assume that people know better, but it is amazing how many people dont.  Besides the fact that it is so early on in your pregnancy, it can be hurtfull to the important people in your life that you havn't had a chance to tell yet. If you tell the news to someone just confirm you havn't annouced it yet to everyone please no facebook.

Now that your Step Mom has spilled your news, I would just talk to her and say I know you are excited but....and list why you want to keep it a secret. What is done is done and no reason to stress out now. Since she was responsible for telling everyone ask her to please also spread the news that its not OK to put it on facebook. Try to get her on your side so it doesnt cause drama. Leave it to her to do damage controll and move on. If there is anything else you tell her like sex of the baby, or news on the pregnany just dont assume she wont blab and tell her asap this is only for the people in this room and you will be extreamly hurt if you find out (especially on facebook) that others know. Let her know truthfully you want her to know things because she is family and your dads wife, and it would be upsetting to you to have to keep things from them.

One thing I know with my mom is she will always blab. I try to work around it now. Unfortunatly, I have learned if I dont want the world to know I need to keep more to myself till Im ready to tell everyone. But one way I deal with it is once I am ready to tell her I usally just let her go nuts and tell the world! Saves time on my end and she has a blast!

i don't think anybody saw it, except for possibly my aunt, but only if she opens her fb emails! I let my dad know I was upset and she emailed me (its his girlfriend- not wife) apologizing and saying it was unintentional. I just responded that even though it was an accident, I was afraid my aunt had seen and would be hurt that I hadn't told her yet (which I know she shouldn't be, bc nobody should know yet!)

I will make sure when I share anymore info with my dad I'll make sure he knows its confidential, and I'd appreciate him being the only one privy, and explain that I don't trust her with keeping that info quiet!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"