May 2013 Moms
Options

Hourly Feedings

Lorelei has fallen into an hourly feeding routine that (at 4 days) I am working hard to break.  She latches on and suckles for a good 10 minutes and then falls asleep.  I burp her and she has no interest in going back on. An hour later we are playing repeat. It's extremely frustrating when it is 2am!

Any suggestions on how to get her to feed for a longer period and, hopefully, give us more than a 45 minute stretch of sleep?

BabyName Ticker

Re: Hourly Feedings

• Options
    Can you do something to keep her from falling asleep?  Keep the room brighter?  Play music or the TV a little loud?  Switch her from one side to the other every 5 minutes?  Don't cover her so that she isn't so snuggly warm...?
    TTC#2 5+ yrs Me: 44 yrs DH: 34 yrs DS born 8/2007 MC 11/2008 (natural) MC 5/2011 (IVF) MC 12/20011 (IVF) BFP 9/2012!! (DE) EDD 5/25/2013 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like something time will fix. Naked, diaper change or tickling under the chin might help.

But remember she is a newborn. She doesn't have habits just a very immature system and she gets worn out quick.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    There's not too much to do at that age. Plenty of babies eat hourly or every two hours at first.

The breastfeeding board can help with realistic expectations for a breastfed baby.

Edit PP above me had some good ideas.
  • Options
    Its not a habit at this point and its good for stimulating your supply.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    She's doing exactly what she's supposed to be doing. Time will get her in a better schedule.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I was there last week,now at 11 days old he is starting to space them out more, he went 4 hours last night between feelings, it was great!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It could be a growth spurt. Give it a few days. This is totally normal... BFing is so overwhelming at first but it is worth it. Hugs mama.
  • Options
    My LO is 8 days old and is slowly spacing out feelings. He started at hourly feedings and now is at 2-3 hours. 
  • Options
    imagebhjones1980:
    I was there last week,now at 11 days old he is starting to space them out more, he went 4 hours last night between feelings, it was great!

All of this. She is starting to sleep longer and nurse less frequently. I think it's just something that takes time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagewcvsb3b5:
    imagebhjones1980:

All of this. She is starting to sleep longer and nurse less frequently. I think it's just something that takes time.

Yep. This. He's still feeding a lot during the day but usually 2 four hour stretches at night.
  • Options

imagefaupanda:
    Make her a bit uncomfy so she wakes back up. Make her cold, tickle her, change her diaper. We typically feed, then I burp her, change her diaper [which really makes her mad], then back to feed and sleep. Sometimes we add another dipe change in there. My LC also suggested getting them down to their diaper then rubbing them with a baby wipe. It sounds cruel but that's what we did with DD1 when she was a babe because she was losing weight. She always fell asleep at the breast when feeding in the beginning.

I also had to resort to the cold washcloth on her to stimulate her, since my LO was losing a lot of weight and was also jaundice.  She had a biliblanket that we were using at home the first two days, and that really make it hard to wake her.  Now she is 12 days and is doing much better.  It will get better, and be so worth it!  BF can be hard at first, but is way easier after the first few weeks than using bottles.  GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    It's exhausting but that is what she needs and this will only help establish your supply and keep the demand coming for her needs. If you're truly concerned, talk to an LC. It's very normal for babies to nurse that often and even "cluster feed" for several hours.

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! She is eating just fine, but I have actually had to start pumping because my body is producing more than she can consume.
    BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"