January 2013 Moms

Starting foods....

So yesterday at LO's 4 month appointment Friday and her pedi suggested we start rice or oatmeal cereal and then move to veggies and then to fruits. I told him I didn't want to do cereals and he was supportive. He told me that the American pediatric association now recommends waiting until 6 months but he likes to start earlier. He was very honest by saying that his opinion differs greatly from what is accepted as well as his other docs in the practice and I respect that. When I was at babies r us today I picked up some plum organically pouches just because they are one ingredient pures. I am thinking of starting around 5 months or so. I'm just looking for input on thoughts. My DH wants to live by whatever the doc says. I think 5 months is a good compromise between me and dh. Our pedis view is that he likes to start early to get them used to texture earlier. I welcome all opinions on your thoughts on this... I think it's interesting to see everyone's thoughts since some of you will be starting soon and some will be waiting much longer.

Re: Starting foods....

• Ugh sorry just saw the post a few down that's very similar.... Sorry ladies! Next time ill read thru the days post before starting a new thread!

• Stupid question time: do you HAVE to start some sort of solids by 6 months or can you push it later? Any benefits to this?
  • image Brendamndz:
    Stupid question time: do you HAVE to start some sort of solids by 6 months or can you push it later? Any benefits to this?

No. Before 1 food is for fun. The getting used to texture isn't really necessary.
    We did blw at 6 m with dd and likely will again. But the longer you wait the more ready their gut is
  • I think it really depends on your baby. There's no true date by which to count food starts here. In most other countries babies are nursed until toddlerhood. I think most peds now say it more depends on your child's development. Can baby sit up unassisted? Can baby move milk back to swallow rather than thrust it out of their mouth? Do they seem interested in what you're eating?
    Those are the real cues rather than 6 mos and 1 day = food.

My little miracle.

Zona's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • BLPL101BLPL101
    5000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Love Its First Answer
    My pedi said I can start too, but I'm waiting until 6 months. My DD doesn't seem interested at all and to be honest, giving a bottle is a lot easier than preparing food so I'm not in any hurry. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image PrivacyWanted:
    image Brendamndz:
    Stupid question time: do you HAVE to start some sort of solids by 6 months or can you push it later? Any benefits to this?
    No. Before 1 food is for fun. The getting used to texture isn't really necessary. We did blw at 6 m with dd and likely will again. But the longer you wait the more ready their gut is
    '

Exactly.

And I'm curious as to what his motivation would be to go against recommendations because he "likes" to start earlier to get them used to texture.  If you start at 6mo you still have pleeeenty of time for them to get used to texture before you really need to worry about their intake for nutritional purposes.   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I really don't think that there is a right or wrong way to start. I also don't feel like I have to follow everything my pedi says as long as I do my research. 

You will get so many varying answers to this, but I will just share how I started with my first son.

I planned on waiting until 6 months old. My pedi gave me the okay at 4 months, but she didn't even give me any specifics on how to start. I ended up getting too curious and starting around 5 1/2 months. I started with purees (sweet potatoes if I remember correctly.) We started with once a day, and then after a few weeks we went to twice a day. I would offer the same food for about 3 days and then move on to the next food. You don't want to mix two new foods, but as long as you are only introducing only one new item at a time, you can mix with something you already know that they like. I didn't do veggies first then fruits second. I pretty much alternated them. He basically liked everything. I was very lucky to have a good eater. I eventually let him try baby oatmeal and baby multigrain cereal, but it wasn't something I offered often. We only used purees for a very short period of time. I wouldn't quite say we did BLW, but we did offer table food rather young. I never used pureed meats or any of the Stage 3 meals. He was completely on table food by that point. 

I will probably follow the same path with DS2, although I think it will really depend on his cues. Every baby will be different, and I think that following super-strict guidelines will not work.

Good luck. Try not to second-guess yourself too much. Go with your mommy instincts.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerb

• My opinion might be unpopular, but a recommendation is just that a "recommendation". My doctors are from CHOP, and gave the green light to start solids when I felt comfortable. DS just turned four months yesterday, has been rolling over both ways for over a month, sits very well, has been showing all the signs that he is physically ready plus the child is always hungry!. DH and I are both in healthcare, and decided we wanted to try, so we did; apparently Ds was very intrigued by the sweet potatoes, but he didn't fully lose the tongue thrust reflex. Long story short, he isn't ready, so we will try again in a few weeks or when we deem it appropriate. New theories are constantly on the uprise, and research is always changing, but one component stays the same no one knows your child better than YOU. I think the debate is great in a sense because it keeps people educated, and they do their own research before making a decision. Our ped particularly did emphasis if you have known food allergies in your family it is "strongly recommended" to wait until 6 months. I love reading everyone's opinion on these issues. DS is my first, and I am always wondering if I make the right decisions, but I guess that is just part of parenthood. In the grand scheme of things, if your child has no known allergies or other medical issues, whether you start solids at month four or six may not make a huge impact some research agrees and others don't, but lets all agree to disagree. Sorry I went on a bit of a rant I just feel so much of this is individual to each baby. The end! Btw this is mobile so I apologize for punctuation! Hope you all have a fantastic Mother's Day!
  • I was being a slow poke mobile bumping so didn't read your post, but I have the same philosophy!!
  • ==N====N==
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary
    Our regular pedi told me 4 months but she was not there when dd had her appt. we saw a nurse practitioner who said anywhere between 4 and 6, and there was a student nurse practitioner there that day also, who told me 6 months. My lc said 6 months too. I trust my pedi but when it has to do with eating I usually go with my lc's advice so were waiting.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image zonagirlie:
    I think it really depends on your baby. There's no true date by which to count food starts here. In most other countries babies are nursed until toddlerhood. I think most peds now say it more depends on your child's development. Can baby sit up unassisted? Can baby move milk back to swallow rather than thrust it out of their mouth? Do they seem interested in what you're eating? Those are the real cues rather than 6 mos and 1 day = food.

Everything here is how I feel about this! I'll be starting DS when he shows all the signs of readiness, I'm not looking at the calendar.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    S14 August Siggy Challenge: Favorite Alcoholic Drinks
  • The whole "he's always hungry!" Isn't a sign of being ready for solids. They're just experimenting with them. That being said I won't start until I see the cues.
  • I think 5 months is a good compromise.  It doesn't hurt to try if you're ready, to see if LO is ready.  If not, just put it on hold for a while.

I'm dabbling in trying baby led weaning this time and not so much purees.  I think I'll do a little purees, bring those to daycare and try real food at home.  Google it if you're interested :)

My personal opinion is that waiting until they sit unassisted isn't always the best.  My DS didn't sit until 9 months or so.  He was ready for food way before that.

And I think it is beneficial to start them sooner (around 6 mos) than later for practice and to help prevent allergies.  They have found that exposure to foods sooner than later may help prevent them.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
  • when i took dd for her 4.5 month check up, the dr said 6 months or 5months if we want (however, when we took her for her 1month, they said 4 months- our 3.5 month visit said 6 as well....) and he gave me a piece of paper...an "infant feeding schedule" if you will

i tried to take a picture of it so we'll see how legible these are....but basically lists possible signs of readiness,  and then what to feed when....also says that delaying it much past 6 months might "result in difficulty accepting these foods later"

i'm torn...i kind of want to start her (she'll be 5 months on the 20th)...she can sit in her bumbo well, but i haven't tried her high chair yet (it reclines) but she's got really good neck and back control, and tries to sit up in our arms while we're feeding her.....and she watches us eat sometimes like she wants our food....and she's doing this thing where she's sucking on her lips (almost looks like she's trying to suck things out of her teeth, if she had teeth) and my friend's son did this and was ready for more than formula....i don't know...

anywho...there was a front and back to this sheet, it's blurry but clicking on it will bring you to my flickr where you can view more sizes

imageimage

• 5 moths could be a compromise. You should first check your baby's signs of readiness for solids. I started at 6 months cause I thought it is better this way. You could use this http://goodmomming.com/ to keep track of solids, get recommendations are all the food-stuff.