Stay at Home Moms

Grade school class pupil size?

For all grade school mama's. what is your childs class size and grade?

CJ :-)

Re: Grade school class pupil size?

• DD has 18 in her kinder class. At the beginning of the year there were 24 which was too many. They hired another teacher so it is 18 which is a good number. It will be around the same in first grade as of now.
    Mom to Emma 9/4/06 and Jackson 11/24/08 M/C Dec 11 and M/C twins feb 2012. BFP Thanksgiving! EDD Aug 4, 2013 M/C at 5 weeks.
  • Now you have to answer too
    Mom to Emma 9/4/06 and Jackson 11/24/08 M/C Dec 11 and M/C twins feb 2012. BFP Thanksgiving! EDD Aug 4, 2013 M/C at 5 weeks.
  • meglewmeglew
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Answers 2500 Comments 250 Love Its
    DD's kinder class for next year has 18 enrolled students and maxes out at 25 (private school).  They also have a full-time classroom aid.
    DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • He'll have 24 in a full-day kindergarten class. The half-day classes are 20.

• Oh haha - He has 19 in first grade right now.  BUT the government slashed out education budget so I believe we are about to increase for next year. which stinks
    CJ :-)
  • My first grader has 27 in her class with one aide. Catholic school.

My preschooler has 15 in her class with one aide. Private school.
  • CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    I have no idea how many kids will be in DS1's Kindergarten class. Their preschool has a max limit of 12 students to 1 teacher and 2 aides.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • NandaBNandaB
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    Wow. You guys are lucky. At the last school I taught at all of the classes were at max capacity of 35 kids. That's from K on up. :o[
    G: 5/8/11
    N: 4/8/13
    having a baby on Christmas!

*suck it bump - siggies are hard
  • 20-21 since 4k. 4K, K and 1st all had an associate teacher as well.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Why can't I fix my sig?? 
  • image NandaB:
    Wow. You guys are lucky. At the last school I taught at all of the classes were at max capacity of 35 kids. That's from K on up. :o[
    how is to even possible to teach that many kids at different levels?
  • There are 27 students in SD's class.

I'm not sure about DS1 as he is split between regular grade one and a learning strategies/social skills class. In his SK class last year there were 22.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• image Hav=Fath:

image Andrewsgal:
    image NandaB:
    how is to even possible to teach that many kids at different levels?

That's what I was wondering. How in the world would 35 K's be in a classroom together at all and be expected to learn? I can't imagine the level of distraction that would bring on a daily basis. 

This is where you should be thankful for a small town! Hadley is lucky.
  • It is either 18 or 19 ... I can't remember off the top of my head.  She is in Kindergarten, but that ratio should stay the same for most of her elementary classes.  There are only 3 classes of 18-19 kids per class in our school district, so they can't really go down to two classes, and I doubt they would spread them out to four... unless they gained a whole bunch of kids, which is highly unlikely.
    imageimage
  • Our district has a max of 23 students (with one lead teacher and one full time assistant teacher). H started the year with 21 but now has 19. His school has 3 kindergarten classrooms.
    Henry 4.23.2007 Elliot 3.30.2012

img width="300" src=""

• 1st grade, 20 kids.  Last year in Kinder she had 21.

This year they also have a full time para in there that helps.  And there's a remedial teacher in there for some of the kids for 1/2 the day to help the kiddos that need some extra help.  It's super nice to have extra people there.  In the beginning of the year (for two months) there was also a student teacher, but she was only there a short time.

• roxy_jjroxy_jj
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Answers 1000 Comments 25 Love Its

DD's kindergarten class has 24.  I think it's too big and would prefer closer to 20.

My friend's mom is a retired kindergarten teacher.  She taught kindergarten for about 40 years and she said for many years she would have 50 kids in her class!  She was the only teacher and didn't have an aide or other help.  That's so crazy to me.  She said it was like a dream when they eventually reduced the class size.  

Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • jnksmomjnksmom
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 100 Love Its
    DS had 20 in his class all year until last week and they got a new student. He is in kindergarten. There are 9 K classes and each class has 20-21. That is about the average for all grades at his school.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Kindergarten and 18. Our district keeps classes between 15 and 20 through 8th grade. HS classes occasionally reach 25 but they try to avoid classes that large.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow! I don't think it's possible! I taught kindergarten and there is no way I could teach 35 students to read especially at different levels. I had kids coming into kinder that didn't know all their colors and shapes and some coming in reading. I think classroom management would eat up soooo much of your time. When I taught my biggest class was 20 and my smallest was 16. I didn't have an aid but that class size is fine.
  • Our kinder is half day and it is 15. DD in first is 32 and DD in second has 26.
    Proud Mommy to Kaylie 12-04, Alaina 5-06 & Annalise 6-08 imageimage
  • NandaBNandaB
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    Yea...its really sad. I don't think they learn much at all. Even the best teachers struggle to reach everyone, and when you throw in a couple kids who need extra attention its all shot to hell. I want to be a proponent of public education, but I'm really really scared for when my kids go to school.

Eta: up until a few years ago we had 20 to 1 in the lower grades, but the districts slowly got rid of it because they couldn't afford it. When I taught in Long Beach, which is a very large district, they got rid of 20 to 1 and ended up laying off teachers with 8 years in the district.
    G: 5/8/11
    N: 4/8/13
    having a baby on Christmas!

*suck it bump - siggies are hard
  • So, I'm a teacher on super long maternity leave -- basically a SAHM for 6 months only...  I've been lurking, but you gals seem nice, so I'm butting in.  :)  I teach first grade.  When I went on leave I had 23, no aide.  Our max size to qualify for an aide or another teacher is 35.  One year I had 34 and no aide until the last semester of school!  That was not fun at all.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DS1's full day kindergarten class is currently 19. It was 20, before spring break, but a child moved away.

Owen (March 2007), Caleb (July 2009), Eliza (July 2011) and August (September 2013)

• DS1's pre-k class is 20 with an assistant teacher also. I currently teach multiple second grade classes of 36-37 kids, and first with 33. I seriously wouldn't send my kids to a school with that many in a class. Hopefully either school DS1 goes to won't be as crowded.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• image pitterpatter129:

So, I'm a teacher on super long maternity leave -- basically a SAHM for 6 months only...  I've been lurking, but you gals seem nice, so I'm butting in.  :)  I teach first grade.  When I went on leave I had 23, no aide.  Our max size to qualify for an aide or another teacher is 35.  One year I had 34 and no aide until the last semester of school!  That was not fun at all.

That's nuts to me. There is no way a teacher can effectively teach that many children alone. I'm so sorry! 

Why can't I fix my sig??