August 2012 Moms

Bringing Up Bebe

Has anyone read the book Bringing Up Bebe? I had it from the library and it was interesting. It's an American mom living in Paris and learning about French parenting. Honestly, it mainly focuses on things she thinks the Parisian moms do "better" than American moms, but I was fine with that. I agree with a lot of the French parenting philosophy.

I have a high school friend who lives in France, and she said it is different in other parts of the country. She says her parenting style is mostly American and patterned on how she was raised.

Anyone else read this? Thoughts? How about our ex-pat Bumpies: are you learning anything interesting about parenting while you live abroad? 

Re: Bringing Up Bebe

• imageSaltylove:
    I'm actually re reading it because I'm totally turning into a hyper helicopter parent! I really like the general philosophy of the book. I don't plan to take it as gospel or anything, but it definitely has a refreshing perspective.

I thought so, too. It's nice to read that helicoptering isn't the norm everywhere, and that many other cultures encourage parents to take a step back.

I wish we had field trips like she describes in the book. DD would so be going! 

• I am incredibly laid back with my boys - pretty much the anti helicopter, so I agreed with and appreciated a lot of what this book had to say.

Many of my friends commented this book was so 'me.' A lot of my friends are breathing down their kids necks all. the. time. I don't judge - to each their own, I'm just different. I always say that I just 'let L be.' I also don't push him into a bzillion activities. L has time to just play in the yard and (gasp!) be bored. I can't stress how important I think this is.

He is one of the most confident and independent kids I know. I'm pretty sure if I randomly keeled over in the middle of the day here he would know exactly what to do to continue to take care of himself and even B, ha. Oh and he'd know for sure how to call 9-1-1!

I'm not sure how much this is just HIS personality vs. my parenting though. We will see how B is... :)

WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • There is also a second book Bebe: Day by Day.

• imageLiliDragon:
    I've read it. I love it.

Yippee! I like you Lili ;) 

• imageSaltylove:
    I'm actually re reading it because I'm totally turning into a hyper helicopter parent! I really like the general philosophy of the book. I don't plan to take it as gospel or anything, but it definitely has a refreshing perspective.

Agree.  

My friend just went on vacation with her friend's family.  They are French and she said the kids were so much more well behaved then hers.   

995468_10151780121619767_1204953917_n
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I loved it too. I'd really like to reread one of these days
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLiliDragon:
    imageCLeigh03:

imageLiliDragon:
    I've read it. I love it.

Yippee! I like you Lili ;) 

It's totally mutual CLeigh. Every time you write something I'm like, "yup. That's me too!" We are internet twins :] Not to the exclusion of my other Internet twin Sharona,
    of course! Internet triplets!

Well then I must include my other...mea! Internet quadruplets. Done. :
  • imagesarzer121:
    I'm half way through it and so far, love it!

This!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"