Breastfeeding

Nipple shape after BF

What is the shape of the nipple suppose to look like after LO has come off? Is the lipstick shape a bad latch? I forgot what they said in the hospital. TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19

Re: Nipple shape after BF

• Yes, a lipstick shape is a sign of a bad latch. Do you have pain while nursing? What you're describing can be a symptom of a tongue tie in baby (which is easily treatable and usually improves breastfeeding very quickly).
  • hilsy85hilsy85 member

imagetokenhoser:
    Yes, a lipstick shape is a sign of a bad latch. Do you have pain while nursing? What you're describing can be a symptom of a tongue tie in baby (which is easily treatable and usually improves breastfeeding very quickly).

This! My nipples came out looking like a new tube of lipstick, and my LO was tongue and lip tied. I would meet with an LC to have his mouth/latch evaluated.  

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Loading the player...
  • When I first left the hospital and wasn't 100 percent at getting my lo to latch correctly each time, we'd occasionally have a shallow latch that resulted in a lipstick shape. However, those shallow latches would hurt, so I would pop him off and start over. Now, he knows to open wide and I hold my breast like a sandwich, so we always get a good latch. My point is he might not be tongue tied. You might just need to work on getting a deeper latch.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageDanni7535:
    When I first left the hospital and wasn't 100 percent at getting my lo to latch correctly each time, we'd occasionally have a shallow latch that resulted in a lipstick shape. However, those shallow latches would hurt, so I would pop him off and start over. Now, he knows to open wide and I hold my breast like a sandwich, so we always get a good latch. My point is he might not be tongue tied. You might just need to work on getting a deeper latch.

This was the case for us too.
  • Which lipstick? The pointed 'bullet' shape or the flat top?

Mine always came out looking like a flattened bullet. They always hurt too, so I don't know if that was the reason or not.
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Mine looked flattened at the tip when LO had a shallow latch in hospital. The LC said the nipple should look the same coming out as it did going in. Since we fixed the latch it always comes out rounded, normal shape.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"